Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Travellers cheques

Glenn A

What kind of exchange rate would I get in Pattaya or Bangkok for travellers cheques? I was in my local post office today and noticed they were selling baht for a mean 48 to the pound today.

don't get your Baht from UK, they say there's no commission charge...but if they're giving you 48 to the £1, you can probs guaruntee 54 to 55 on the street,you'll even get a better rate using your visa card in LOS.

Pattaya Pattaya oh how I love you

don't get your Baht from UK, they say there's no commission charge...but if they're giving you 48 to the £1, you can probs guaruntee 54 to 55 on the street,you'll even get a better rate using your visa card in LOS.

Hello, Spoon, I reckon the Post Office is secretly making 20 per cent on currency. I wouldn't bother taking currency and would much sooner cash in travellers cheques in Thailand.

Travellers cheques always get the best rate thats what i normally take with me plus the security that comes with them.

And i cash the first one in the airport since i have to pay for taxi.

Christos

<center><embed src="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/show.swf?clickURL=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/&clickLABEL=MySpace Countdown Clocks&flashLABEL=Countdown Clock Codes&skin=http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/cd/ccc-vacation/skins/9.jpg&text=%0D%0DI%20land%20in%20Pattaya&untilColor=6724095&textColor=0&datesColor=0&year=2009&month=9&day=15&hour=22&minute=15&second=40&x=6&y=77" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="300" height="200" name="countdown" align="middle" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /><br><small><a href="http://www.countdownclockcodes.com/">MySpace Countdown Clocks</a></small></center>

I really don't understand the "no commission" claims - if there was no commission, they'd buy and sell currencies at the same rate... just deciding not to call it "commission" doesn't make it not commission.

Have you read the forum rules?

Please resize your photos!

Sitting here now in this bar for hours,

whilst strange men rent strange flowers,

I'll be picking up your petals in another few hours...

There is a charge for cashing travellers cheques in LOS, the same amount for any denomination which I think is 30bht and 3bht admin but I am probably wrong, so I tend to take £100 chqs with a couple of £50's and £20's for the last day if I dont want to split a £100

There is a charge for cashing travellers cheques in LOS, the same amount for any denomination which I think is 30bht and 3bht admin but I am probably wrong, so I tend to take £100 chqs with a couple of £50's and £20's for the last day if I dont want to split a £100

Understandably the bank needs to make a profit, but 30 baht is a very minimal charge. I know this doesn't concern Pattaya, but anytime you are in Amsterdam be wary of using a bureau de change called Chequepoint as, when the guilder was around, they used to give 2.2 to the pound when the official rate was 3.0

I never get thai money in England before going to Thailand because off the poor exchange rate. I normally take TC's and I cash in one at BKK airport to pay for taxi to Pattaya. Also at the end of each holiday to Thailand I normally have some thai money left over and I can save this money for my next trip

I never get thai money in England before going to Thailand because off the poor exchange rate. I normally take TC's and I cash in one at BKK airport to pay for taxi to Pattaya. Also at the end of each holiday to Thailand I normally have some thai money left over and I can save this money for my next trip

MONEY LEFT OVER AFTER BEING IN THAILAND PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE TELL ME HOW??????????????????

:001_Thank_You5:

Because of the new 150-Baht-charge at the ATMs I decided to take some TC with me for my last holiday august/sept. I was charged with 1 % when I buyed the cheques. And I was charged again when I changed the cheques into thai baht. I changed two 200-Dollar-cheques. The charge was 60 baht commission plus 6 baht duty stamp. So alltogether the charge was around 6 Dollars, that means 1,5 %.

Because of the new 150-Baht-charge at the ATMs I decided to take some TC with me for my last holiday august/sept. I was charged with 1 % when I buyed the cheques. And I was charged again when I changed the cheques into thai baht. I changed two 200-Dollar-cheques. The charge was 60 baht commission plus 6 baht duty stamp. So alltogether the charge was around 6 Dollars, that means 1,5 %.

This will still beat the Post Office where I worked out the difference between their exchange rate and the trade rate was 20 per cent, which is a hidden commission rate. If I get close enough to the official rate, this will do more and let's hope the pound becomes stronger next year.

I normally just take some cash and use my cards but, think will be better to use TCs this trip.

You have the right to remain silent, anything you do say will be taken out of context and used against you!

I used to do the ATM machines because of a good exchange rate and I had 5 free internation transactions per month. Now I buy $10,000 CDN in $500 T/Cs and are easy to cash.(use higher denomination to reduce costs) If I cash 2 at a time ($1,000) I get about 31,000 baht for a 66 baht total fee, I get them issued free in Canada so this is a lot less costly than the ATMs. (works out to about 0.2%) I won't pay this 150 baht transaction fee to the Thai banks, it's robbery. The only hassle is you have to carry your passport on days you cash them in. When I wire in money I will make sure it is in one large amount to reduce costs also.

• 4 weeks later...

I used to do the ATM machines because of a good exchange rate and I had 5 free internation transactions per month. Now I buy $10,000 CDN in $500 T/Cs and are easy to cash.(use higher denomination to reduce costs) If I cash 2 at a time ($1,000) I get about 31,000 baht for a 66 baht total fee, I get them issued free in Canada so this is a lot less costly than the ATMs. (works out to about 0.2%) I won't pay this 150 baht transaction fee to the Thai banks, it's robbery. The only hassle is you have to carry your passport on days you cash them in. When I wire in money I will make sure it is in one large amount to reduce costs also.