IGNORED

Orbit vs Travelocity difference

artinamerica

I set-up the exact same flights itinerary, using Orbitz and Travelocity.

Round trip USA-LOS-USA.

The flight is on 11-4 to 11-5, total 27 hours, but only 21 hours when I return 30 days later. Go figure. For both itineraries.

Here is what is different:

Orbitz shows a plane-change in Tokyo, even though it is the same flight number. It says that I will change from one plane-type to another type.

Travelocity says NO PLANE CHANGE in Tokyo. I stay on same plane, with no plane-type change.

I will get to LOS either wy, but I still wonder which one of the is correct.

I booked and paid with Travelocity, and hope they are the correct ones!

Anybody have experience using these 2 popular online bookers?

If so, which is usually correct?

You don't mention which airline. I assume the airline has a web site and you can see their official flight information there.

AIA: Best prices are usually airline - direct. Can you pick your seats on Travelocity ? If not go to airline, join frequent flier club (if you have to) and pick seats. Seat Guru will give you the heads up on that. Jet stream goes from Asia to West Coast and speeds up or slows down your flight. wj

there is always a 5-6 hour time difference between going and coming from west coast to los and back.

there is always a 5-6 hour time difference between going and coming from west coast to los and back.

Sure, the CLOCK time changes, but why the actual elapsed time? The jetstream is that powerful? I didn't know that.

It is with Northwest Airlines, and I did choose seat numbers, and I went back and saw that my seats were marked as "taken" after I was done.

I will go to Northwest Airlines website and check further about this.

I am curious why there is a difference between 2 big online bookers.

Edited by artinamerica

Okay -- I just checked the NWA website, and they show the exact same info for my flights that is shown on Orbitz.

Travelocity screwed up in what they said about "no plane change" on part of the to and from flights. Both directions show 1 plane change, and there are eally 2 changes.

So, from now on, I will use Orbitz and travelocity ONLY for info, then choose what I want, and goe directly to the airline's site for accurate booking.

Just a heads-up for others, if they care about this stuff.

For me it's important, because I will be a frequent flyer from now on, since I am finally retired, and will spend lots of time in LOS.

Yes, the jet stream is that powerful, and yes, you will change planes in Tokyo, no matter what the NW website says. I thought the same thing when I travelled with them once, but you have to deplane, go through security, and reboard another plane for flight to BKK. It was exact same plane type and flight number, same seat number so thats why I thought didn't have to deplane.

It is usually a 747 or 777 between LAX and NRT and a (narrow-body) 757 between NRT and BKK. Narita is a Northwest hub: They bring the big planes from the US and unload them onto smaller planes to Thailand, Vietnam, etc.

Good prices because the schedule is terrible arriving BKK or SGN around midnight and leaving before 6 in the morning. Cathay and others gets you there early evening, allowing you to use buses or connect to domestic flights.

Sure, the CLOCK time changes, but why the actual elapsed time? The jetstream is that powerful? I didn't know that.

It is with Northwest Airlines, and I did choose seat numbers, and I went back and saw that my seats were marked as "taken" after I was done.

I will go to Northwest Airlines website and check further about this.

I am curious why there is a difference between 2 big online bookers.

i wasn't talking clock time. i'm talking flight time.

I think they figure the jetstream for 100 mph. I've been on flights where the captain got on the mic. and told us we'd be getting in way early because it was howling at over 200 mph. Pilots go out of their way to use it or avoid it as well. I think they average about 500 miles wide. So you can see how that might effect the duration of a 6000 mile flight. wj

I think they figure the jetstream for 100 mph. I've been on flights where the captain got on the mic. and told us we'd be getting in way early because it was howling at over 200 mph. Pilots go out of their way to use it or avoid it as well. I think they average about 500 miles wide. So you can see how that might effect the duration of a 6000 mile flight. wj

These days, most airlines use the Jet Stream to save fuel and throttle down rather than saving time. On A Japan to US west coast, the saving can be significant.

IMO don't think it's a good idea to book thru these online booking companies... just use them for checking cost...I recommend www.kayak.com ....just too hard to make changes or deal with problems when you don't book direct with the airline...

If it flies, floats or f's....Rent It!!

I actually booked my ticket for my December trip from a travel agent here in the DC area and got a much better deal than I could get on one of the travel websites. I only paid 1,150 for the flight on Korean Air out of Washington Dulles. The travel sites had the same ticket from 1,450-1,900. I only have one hour layover in Seoul. do not rule out travel agents.

Edited by altec123

I have been looking at orbitz and travelocity then checking the airline sites for december - january from bwi and dca. fairs are high ($1,800 is typical). went thru a local travel website last year and got a better deal also. was sweating the airport takeover though (arrived a couple days later). thought i was going to eat the ticket. would prefer to deal directly with the airline but not for $1,800

These days, most airlines use the Jet Stream to save fuel and throttle down rather than saving time. On A Japan to US west coast, the saving can be significant.

Good point ! The getting in early flight was a few years ago. wj

Talking about time and speed difference on my last trip in May at one point we were traveling at 753mph. Did not know commercial airlines could go that speed.

Talking about time and speed difference on my last trip in May at one point we were traveling at 753mph. Did not know commercial airlines could go that speed.

At an average airspeed of 560mph, that was a near 200mph Jet Stream you were riding! But the plane was still "only" going around 560mph relative to the air :)

The saving to the airline on a really good Jet Stream day from NRT to California: USD5000 or more per flight!!!!

altec, thats actually only 45 minutes in seoul not even an hour :) Definitely the best flight from the east coast in terms of time in the air or waiting around though. Just wish it was eva with the deluxe economy.

I've never found a good deal for LOS on either Orbitz or Travelocity. I check travel sites daily to watch prices. In general, I think going through airlines direct is the way to get the best price.

My suggestion is to use a good travel site: BT-store.com or globester.com then compare their rates to the specific airlines they are advertising. For my time frame (Jan 2010) best price I can find RT LAX to BKK is $810 on ANA or $788 on Eva. These are both very good deals. Just keep checking and watch the board for special offers.

Happy Hunting

Only way to do it is to peruse all the carriers websites once a month or so. Kayak and Fare Compare don't seem to list the best offers. Best Travel(BT) Store does have good prices, but they pull you in with their 'come on' price, which doesn't include all the airline's add ons. Real price can be 50% more. Pain in the ass comparing apples to oranges, but I've gotten some great fares through them. Well worth a look IMO.

altec, thats actually only 45 minutes in seoul not even an hour :LMAO1: Definitely the best flight from the east coast in terms of time in the air or waiting around though. Just wish it was eva with the deluxe economy.

Definitely the best flight from the East Coast. Korean Air is a great airline. My travel agen, who is Thai, said that Thai Air is considering resuming very limited service from JFK to BKK sometime next year. Apparantly they still are paying for the gate at JFK and have been unable to sell the Airbus A320's, which are just sitting on the ramp in BKK.