IGNORED

Laptops, how many BM's take them to patts

The Mentalist

I understand the inherent risks of wifi use on the road and appreciate that log-on details and passwords are easily 'plucked from the ether' and relatively easy to decipher. However, as I understand it (and I'm willing to concede I may be wrong)...if you access a https site, the data is encrypted end-to-end and is therefore safe.

Quote from the Wise Geek - 'It is safe, however, to use free WiFi for accessing sites that provide end-to-end (also called point-to-point) encryption. End-to-end encryption is automatically put in place when visiting a site with an address that starts with https. In this case your browser will encrypt all communication before it leaves your computer, and it will only be decrypted at the destination site. The website likewise encrypts everything from its end, which gets decrypted by your browser. An interloper, whether local or online can still trap passing data packets, but the contents of those packets will be unreadable.'

I'd like to hear from those more clued-up than myself in these matters.

You are correct. Assuming you have https END TO END, you are good. There are however parallel issues with WiFi networks, that are obscure and long to explain, and that are really of little concern for most casual users who only need to access things like banking data. There are greater concerns in using your debit/credit card info while making seemingly casual purchases through a public WiFi network as it is very difficult for casual users to identify potential gaps in the secure chain. If one has access to a virtual tunnel, they should make use of it, but if they don't have one, they should not lose sleep over it. Stolen credit card data from on-line systems make news because of the number of accounts typically breached at ounce, but in reality, there is far more data theft taking place the "old fashion way" than through electronic means ... one at the time.

I don't want to freak out anyone, but using your credit/debit card in a restaurant, bar, gas station, etc. is far more dangerous than using it on-line, because the card or the data is handled, or is readily accessible, by people with ZERO background check, like servers, waiters, sales clerks, etc. It happens, day in and day out, yet it is a reasonable risk that everyone, including me, take everyday. It is one thing to be security aware, it is another to be so worried about it to make one's own everyday life difficult.

It is really not much different than mongering where we are aware of the potential risks while enjoying the benefits: Don't be stupid, but do enjoy life.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PepeLePew

• Slacker

• Erasmus

• illuxion

You are correct. Assuming you have https END TO END, you are good. There are however parallel issues with WiFi networks, that are obscure and long to explain, and that are really of little concern for most casual users who only need to access things like banking data. There are greater concerns in using your debit/credit card info while making seemingly casual purchases through a public WiFi network as it is very difficult for casual users to identify potential gaps in the secure chain. If one has access to a virtual tunnel, they should make use of it, but if they don't have one, they should not lose sleep over it. Stolen credit card data from on-line systems make news because of the number of accounts typically breached at ounce, but in reality, there is far more data theft taking place the "old fashion way" than through electronic means ... one at the time.

I don't want to freak out anyone, but using your credit/debit card in a restaurant, bar, gas station, etc. is far more dangerous than using it on-line, because the card or the data is handled, or is readily accessible, by people with ZERO background check, like servers, waiters, sales clerks, etc. It happens, day in and day out, yet it is a reasonable risk that everyone, including me, take everyday. It is one thing to be security aware, it is another to be so worried about it to make one's own everyday life difficult.

It is really not much different than mongering where we are aware of the potential risks while enjoying the benefits: Don't be stupid, but do enjoy life.

Just make sure you put your card in a condom before handing it over, its safer that way :ShitHappens1:

Joking aside thats very true, I had my card cloned the first time I came to Thailand, I only used it in 2 places, a 5 star resort in Phuket and a King Power outlet at the old Don Muang. 2 weeks later and the clone went on a shopping spree in Tokyo!!!

Edited by Pepe Le Pew

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

Thanks for the response Erasmus. I'm not planning on overusing it for online banking...unless I get trapped by another airport closure - but it'll be handy if there is !!

>> I'll also be bringing my mobile broadband, but I'm not so convinced it'll work (it is meant to apparently!). <<

It will work. At least ti did for me, but the rates that are rebilled from AT&T are scarier than a alley full of pissed off ladyboys.

Not sure if this is cheap to you, but 1mb on 3 (uk network) is £3. I was just going to buy a pay as you go sim and chuck £50 or so on it and hope for the best. That might be an option for anyone who wants the flexibility.

I don't know that I will use a laptop in thailand as much as in europe though so it might be a waste. Normally I find all the sites I think are useful and store them on my laptop for reference, it'd only be useage like this forum and banking (if I overspend massively only) that I would possibly surf.

>> Not sure if this is cheap to you, ... <<

Sometimes our employees get stuck having to use 3G with their laptops to return a contract or something form inconvenient places. AT&T rebills us per 2KB. I have had to sign off on Data Bills ran over a $1000(US). The UK is not nearly as expensive as Brazil or the Arab Emirates ... but we still try to control 3G use overseas to absolute necessity (in the states we have a flat monthly rate). In tahiland I was always able to use hardwired lan in the hotel or a wifi connection.

Not sure if this is cheap to you, but 1mb on 3 (uk network) is £3. I was just going to buy a pay as you go sim and chuck £50 or so on it and hope for the best. That might be an option for anyone who wants the flexibility.

I don't know that I will use a laptop in thailand as much as in europe though so it might be a waste. Normally I find all the sites I think are useful and store them on my laptop for reference, it'd only be useage like this forum and banking (if I overspend massively only) that I would possibly surf.

It's about $20US/1MB through ATT in the US if you don't have a dedicated global data plan, although if you have a bit of foresight it's about $1USD/1MB with the global packages. I used to do the global data bit, but it's cheaper just to get a local pre-paid sim. Also with prepaid you don't get the OMFG yell of pain and agony when your bill comes in. The other perks of having a local sim are calling back home is DIRT cheap especially if you learn the carriers magic incantation for long distance callback(not all carriers have one though), incoming calls are free, and you can give the number to as many BGs you want and not worry about a 3am call while you're in bed with your girl back home(if you have one) :)

I've carted my Dell around Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Australia and back and forth to UK over the past 3 years.

I left it in hotel rooms all over and I got away with it, but I've decided to leave it safe at "home" from now on. It was only a matter of time before I lost it.

Also customs seem to be increasingly interested in what people have on laptops (perhaps rightly) and that could be a pain if you got held up. It also adds to the cabin luggage weight. Some airlines are lenient with this but others eg AirAsia are getting tighter and tighter, especially if they sniff the chance of charging you extra $s.

I take a Sony HD cam with me and a USB external drive with files/info I need and to t/f pics/vid to. I can use an internet shop for that and for emails and banking.

No more worries.

Curious if anyone tried any wifi scanners. I know of a very good one, but don't have the link handy. It sends test packets to pull back info and can monitor the speed.

I don't want to get spammy, but here are some links.

http://www.makayama.com/easywifiradar.html

http://download.cnet.com/inSSIDer/3000-2085_4-10848357.html

http://www.wefi.com/

http://www.whisher.com/

http://cnet.jiwire.com/hot-spot-directory-browse-by-city.htm?provider_id=0&country_id=212&state_id=1000050&location_type_id=0&technology_id=0&venue_group_id=0&pay_free=both

I have a linksys n/g adapter and works great, but I never traveled outside the US so that's a big iffy. Sometimes for the routers in hotels, you may have a hard time getting signals if it's a wireless g router they use. That's if it's just one sole router. N routers give a larger signal range, but they don't help with speed at all, just for dropped signals(etc). Hawking also has an antenna that is supposed to be fairly decent. Never used it so just giving my opinion on the matter. Hopefully when and if I do go, I wont run into any problems because sadly me having a connection would hinder me staying certain places. :P

dishantenna.jpg

2ll0roh.gif

I take my Acer aspire one netbook, small and light in the carry on baggage

That is what I think about, lugging my heavy and expensive Samsung around annoys me more and more.

Have seen that Samung NC 10(?) netbook on dtuk.com for about 15,000 Baht seems reasonable to me and has even a Thai keyboard.

The difference between sex for money and sex for free is that sex for money usually costs a lot less.

Curious if anyone tried any wifi scanners. I know of a very good one, but don't have the link handy. It sends test packets to pull back info and can monitor the speed.

I don't want to get spammy, but here are some links.

http://www.makayama....ywifiradar.html

http://download.cnet...4-10848357.html

http://www.wefi.com/

http://www.whisher.com/

http://cnet.jiwire.c...0&pay_free=both

I have a linksys n/g adapter and works great, but I never traveled outside the US so that's a big iffy. Sometimes for the routers in hotels, you may have a hard time getting signals if it's a wireless g router they use. That's if it's just one sole router. N routers give a larger signal range, but they don't help with speed at all, just for dropped signals(etc). Hawking also has an antenna that is supposed to be fairly decent. Never used it so just giving my opinion on the matter. Hopefully when and if I do go, I wont run into any problems because sadly me having a connection would hinder me staying certain places. :D

dishantenna.jpg

I think I'd just make sure I stayed in a hotel with a good connection rather than lug a satelite dish around with me!

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I cannot survive without my laptop and always take it with me. I haven't found it a big problem to find a hotel with pretty good wifi, but there are also coffee shops all over town with wifi. Besides I always want to consult with PA to find out the latest.

It's also fun to ask the BG where she is from, then show her on Google Earth. Sometime she can actually pick out her home.

If you need internet acess here best to bring laptop with you. Using internet cafes is very risky for anything requiring security. Hidden webcams to monitor users keystrokes, keystoke loggers, etc. abound. Simple act of accessing email can give away your password and cause problems. Banking or any business application should never be attempted.

If you will need internet access while here-bring it with you.

• 3 weeks later...

i dont go to patts to look at my laptop,people might need it for work or whatever.but i find alot better things to do while im there .......... ha ha ha.

I always bring my laptop anywhere I travel. I have a MagicJack which allows me to make and receive phone calls through my computer from the USA at no cost. Pretty handy gadget.

I always have a laptop with me and a good, stable, fast internet connection is a must. I work almost every day when I am in LOS and most of my work is accessing various databases and sending/receiving emails. So without my laptop and internet connection I would not be able to work and make money which I then spend on girls and alcohol. It is a vicious circle:-)

And in the beginning, MAN created god.

Taking my laptop is a must for me and staying at a hotel with good quality wifi is paramount.

As i have an online business i can work and play in Patts when i go there.

Also, i'm sure it will be good to come on the boards to share some stories and photos of some hotties.

I always take my laptop with me. Allows me to pay bills at home, take care pf banking, and I have a MagicJack which allows me to make free telephone calls through the computer back to the USA as well as receive calls. Great gadget.

Also customs seem to be increasingly interested in what people have on laptops (perhaps rightly) and that could be a pain if you got held up.

I think this is really another major security issue. Before taking my laptop with me on a trip I remove all

potentially critical data from the harddrive and use also encryption algorithms for sensitive data.

How do the customs handle this issue ? Are they allowed to search your data ? What if you deny them access ? Are there general international rules or specific rules for each country (especially EU, UAE, Thailand)?

Any experiences ?

I think this is really another major security issue. Before taking my laptop with me on a trip I remove all

potentially critical data from the harddrive and use also encryption algorithms for sensitive data.

How do the customs handle this issue ? Are they allowed to search your data ? What if you deny them access ? Are there general international rules or specific rules for each country (especially EU, UAE, Thailand)?

Any experiences ?

Well when US customs have searched my laptop (about 5 times now) they have always wanted the passwords to any protected files/folders. When I first asked if I had to give it to them they said my other choice was they would seize the laptop and they would have one of their tech people crack the passwords and I would maybe get my laptop back in like 6 weeks. I was not going to potentially lose my laptop for 6 weeks so I opened all protected folders for them. I did not have any XXX files on it (I upload those to my server before I leave LOS) so I was not worried. I just had some client info that I always keep password protected.

And in the beginning, MAN created god.

I see the question of what hotels have a good hi speed wifi asked quite often.

I personally don't take my laptop with me to LOS, hell I'm on holidays and other things can wait, but I do

acknowledge that some guys just can't survive without the thing, as I call it.

I also can see where guys are really still at work and have things to do, and then there are those that just

can't let go and have a holiday.

The amount of times the question of WiFi access, speed and reliability etc is asked on this board, leads me to

wonder why we haven't got a hotel list with ratings on this sort of thing available.

I will be taking mine with me when I go. I always do funny thing my laptop still is sent on pattaya time one day ahead 30min fast shit I just keep it that way. I was just thinking this yr is going so fast I was in thailand in jan 09 in about 69 days or so I be right back there. I can't wait hotels book already flight payed for every thing is a go. man I love high season the past 3 trips it never rain one day when I was there no lie. raining like crazy now that it for me see you guys in town.

mickeylo

Well when US customs have searched my laptop (about 5 times now) they have always wanted the passwords to any protected files/folders. When I first asked if I had to give it to them they said my other choice was they would seize the laptop and they would have one of their tech people crack the passwords and I would maybe get my laptop back in like 6 weeks. I was not going to potentially lose my laptop for 6 weeks so I opened all protected folders for them. I did not have any XXX files on it (I upload those to my server before I leave LOS) so I was not worried. I just had some client info that I always keep password protected.

I have no bad stuff on my computer , but i have workrealated tings that are Secrets and it is disgusting that USA have become such a police state and allow searches of peoples computers without any suspicion or court order. If someone suggested this 10 years ago, people would have said never in a million years, what happend ? and why are not the American people fighting this? unwarranted searches of someones house in the USA is not allowed so why is it ok to go trough someones computer ?

It´s really a shame how they violate people´s privacy. My opinion is that this is more about economic interests (screening for confidential business data) than about homeland security. Anyway I would not take a laptop with me into the US, much too risky IMO. Even if you have deleted critical data they may be able to recover the files.

I planned on bringing my laptop to LOS with me to upload all my naughty pictures from the trip.

What are the odds of US customs asking me to open my laptop, logon, give them my passwords, and look at my private photos?

They can actually do this?

Is it better to just buy a flashdrive and leave my laptop at home?

Thanks.

I always have my laptop with me not only for photos.A good high speed connection is a must. I prefer wired connection for better speed

Edited by kleon