Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Classifiers

pockets88

i have being using rosetta stone for a while now and nearly finished thai level 1, i was reviewing and i noticed something i missed first time around

uut gamlang yuun yuu bon sii kaa = camel standing on four legs

seem's simple enough but why has a classifier not being used after all you are counting the legs

Is there a thai level 2? I think my level 1 has 8 units in total.

Not sure about that sentance, usually every last thing on rossetta will add the classifier

Edited by herds

Sorry, I thought a had a basic understanding of classifiers, but am not sure on this. I suspect if you were talking about the number of camels there would be a classifier because that number can vary; however, if you are talking about the number of legs on a camel, it would be assumed to come with the standard set of 4 and hence no classifier is required.

When a man is tired of Pattaya, he is tired of life.

An Agent of DOOM - defenders of older men

Sorry, I thought a had a basic understanding of classifiers, but am not sure on this. I suspect if you were talking about the number of camels there would be a classifier because that number can vary; however, if you are talking about the number of legs on a camel, it would be assumed to come with the standard set of 4 and hence no classifier is required.

you need to use a classifier if you count limbs kairn sii kaang, four arms for example that was in another chapter and it was not counting the camel it was clerly counting the limbs because the next picture a camel was standing on three legs

well i thought you had to use a classifier if you quantified anything, the more i learn the more i get confused

I wouldn't get too concerned about it. I'm struggling to think of any conversation I've ever had where the topic of camel's legs came up. Just to be on the safe side, next time I'm in Pattaya, I'll steer clear of the Arab quarter. Just remember to use your classifiers when you're dealing with numbers of people or bottles of beer.

When a man is tired of Pattaya, he is tired of life.

An Agent of DOOM - defenders of older men

Bocelli27....

Thanks much! I love your comment! :Who_Cares: I just can't stop laughing. :Dance1:

You should also avoid Sukhumvit Soi 5 in BKK.

And, I'm certainly no expert on classifiers, but I think your previous comment (most camels have 4 legs) is right on.

Bakwan

I wouldn't get too concerned about it. I'm struggling to think of any conversation I've ever had where the topic of camel's legs came up. Just to be on the safe side, next time I'm in Pattaya, I'll steer clear of the Arab quarter. Just remember to use your classifiers when you're dealing with numbers of people or bottles of beer.

555 funny you should mention the arab quarter i picked up a gogo dancer from sister's we went back to her room to pick something up and we must have walked through the arab area i got quiet a few dirty looks the only time i felt uncomfortable walking alone in pattaya, maybe it was just western paranoia!

but getting back to the classifiers i do not think it matters if your talking about camels or not from what i have learnt so far i would have said uut gamlang yuun yuu bon kaa sii kaang all the other examples i have looked at follow this word order noun+cardinal number+classifier