IGNORED

SCUBA diving in and around Phuket?

LarryLarry

I will be down on Phuket this December and would like to do some diving. So my question is this: I am going to be on Phuket for about six days (i am in LOS for 15 days about five in Pattaya) is it worth spending two nights on a dive boat to get to Hin Daeng, Hin Maung and Phi Phi. Are the local Phuket day trip dives prety much same same? Any one have any suggestions on some really good dives, day trip from Phuket or upto a two night liveaboard which is the max I would like to be away from the Patong action.

Hi

In Phuket - go to Similans for a 2 day / 1 night liveaboard

also go to some of the local day dives around Phuket

In Pattaya - go for the 2 day 1 night liveaboard dive to Hin Daeng - but it won't be as good as Phuket

Don't bother with any of the day dives around Pattaya

Check out Siam divers for good deals and tell them you have been referred and ask for the 10% discount

Wellman69 has the right idea - it is worth the time to spend 2-3 days on a dive boat out in the Similans - the diving is worth the loss of nighttime activities. The way it works is you take a small speed boat (which also carries food in and trash out) out to the liveaboards which remain quite a ways off shore. New divers are always leaving and coming and there is a chance you could extend a trip once out there if they are not fully booked.

Day trips out of Phuket and/or Ao Nang are also worthwhile but can not compare to the Similains - spend at least one night out on the liveaboards if you enjoy diving.

Not sure I can agree with the recommendation to do the liveaboard out of Pattaya - I would skip diving there altogether

"Life is hard; its harder if you're stupid" - EC

Thanks guys!!

From the web sites its hard to tell, it all looks amazing. But one thing you mentioned that perhaps you (or someone else) can provide a little clairty around is that I have only seen boats leaving from Phuket and Phi Phi to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang none from Pattaya. They are said to be some of the best dives in LOS. But it appears that you were not impressed with the "Hin's" you perfer the Similans.

I had gone on some dives out of Pattaya on other trips (but never to the Hins); and yes the local day trips were poor out of Pattaya

Hin Daeng/Hin Muang is located south/west of Koh Lanta in the Andaman sea, while Pattaya is in the golf of Thailand. That is why you can't go diving these places from Pattaya, unless you rent a boat, sail all the way south of Singapore and back in to Thailand.

In my opinion, the best diving from Phuket is; Similan islands, Shark Point, Anemone Reef and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang.

If you are doing normal daytrips, Similan islands and Hin Deang/Hin Muang are a bit far away. You will normally start around 6 AM -7 AM and back again in Patong around 7 PM - 8 PM. Shark Point and Anemone Reef daytrips normally starts 8 AM and you will be back around 4 PM - 5 PM.

Similan islands live aboards; Staying at the Similan islands for 3 days, will normally give you 11 dives in total. The price for this is around 16,000 THB and does not include national park fee and equipment rental. A 2 days live aboard gives you 7 dives and the price is around 12,500 THB. You will, at the moment find 3 operators, who offer this possibility. You should go for a live aboard who takes you to Koh Bon and maybe also Koh Tachai. High-light of these dive sites is Manta Rays and Whale Sharks.

Hin Daeng/Hin Muang live aboard; This is a 2 days live aboard, who takes you to Phi Phi islands and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. In total you'll get 7 dives and the price range from around 13,000 THB. In my opinion, this is the best and most relaxed way to experience HD/HM. High-light of these dive sites is Manta Rays and occasionally Whale Sharks.

Day trips Phuket; Shark Point/Anemone Reef/Koh Doc Mai, 3 dives is 3,300 THB. Similan islands from Phuket, 2 dives is 5,400 THB. I don't have the price for Hin Daeng/Hin Muang day trips, but will get it within the next couple of days.

So to answer your questions:

Is it worth spending two nights on a dive boat to get to Hin Daeng, Hin Maung and Phi Phi? In my opinion, YES!!!

Are the local Phuket day trip dives prety much same same? No not at all. Some are very basic, some are standard and some are really nice. It is normally reflected in the price you are paying for the day trip.

I will be happy to give you more information about diving from Phuket. For your information! I run one of Phuket's oldest dive centers, with branches in Phuket, Khao Lak, Krabi and Koh Lanta. I don't want to mention the name of the dive center as I'm not here to promote it, but only to give some useful information's about diving from Phuket.

Wow thanks for the really informed reply!! Zenobiz I will PM you regarding your shop and some dives Thanks again to all who helped answer my questions.

No Problem LarryLarry. Just send me a message and I'll try to help you in the best way

• 3 weeks later...

The Similan islands are rumoured to be absolutely world-class. i know a few people who have gone there, and they've all seen manta rays AND whale sharks!! But you need to go on a liveaboard as they're a reasonable distance from Phuket and can't be reached on a daytrip. If you're near Koh Phi Phi, there is some good diving there, which I have done. Very easy to organise when you get there and everywhere charges the same price (which is reasonable). I would describe the diving there as reasonably good but not fantastic - saw quite a few leopard sharks and a couple of eels etc. So if you want a couple of recreational dives, Koh Phi Phi isn't a bad option at all, but if you really want some good diving, I would say go to Similan Islands.

Similan Islands everytime cheap as chips

DSC00431_640x480.jpg

DSC00432.JPG

040325 Similan (20)_640x480.jpg

040325 Similan (23).jpg

DSC00451.JPG

Edited by som nam na

I agree with most of Zenobiz’ post, but would like add some of my favorite sites for daytrips:

Koh Racha Yai & Noi

Unfortunately, the marine life at Koh Racha Yai (big) has been nearly destroyed. The smaller sister island Koh Racha Noi (small), which are just a few rocks above sea level, is worth the trip. You might face a quite strong current out there, but a few years ago, we encountered a couple of Manta Rays there.

Phi Phi Island

While Pee Phi island is more or less for snorkeling, the neighboring “rocks” called Koh Bida Hin and Koh Rok Nock (I hope that I got the spelling right) are exiting dive sites with leopard and reef sharks. Sometimes you can see also huge solitary barracudas out there while the other marine life is astonishing too.

More about day trips at http://www.diveasia.com/daytrips/divesites.htm.

Most of the times I used http://www.diveasia.com, but there are many professional dive operators on Phuket, which you can find at http://www.phuketgazette.net.

Edited by Benny10

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C.

The Similan islands are rumoured to be absolutely world-class. i know a few people who have gone there, and they've all seen manta rays AND whale sharks!! But you need to go on a liveaboard as they're a reasonable distance from Phuket and can't be reached on a daytrip.

Well, actually, they can be reached on a day trip. We are at the moment 3 - 4 companies in Phuket who arrange daytrips to Similan islands. I admit, it is a long day, but well worth it for the experience. We leave Thap Lamu at 8 AM (pick-up Phuket around 6 AM) and are back again around 4 PM (Phuket 6 PM). The same goes for Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, though these days will be a bit longer, due to the longer distance.

Racha Yai/Racha Noi; Racha Yai, is good for some easy diving. The reefs are not what they used to be, but if you are a first time/non-exprience diver in Thailand, this can be a good start.

Racha Noi; More rock formation's and deeper diving than Racha Yai. A chance to see Manta Rays at the southern tip. There can be strong current at these dive sites, so to get the most out of the day, you should be an experience diver.

Phi Phi islands; From Phuket, most operators choose to dive at Koh Bida Nok and Koh Bida Nai. These rock formation's are located south of Phi Phi. In my opinion, the absolute best diving you'll get at Phi Phi. Fairly good chances to see leopard sharks, black tip reef sharks, turtles, barracuda and on rare occasion whale sharks. 2 dives at Phi Phi islands is often combined with one dive at Koh Doc Mai, near Phuket.

Hin Daeng/Hin Muang update; If the weather permits it, we will be running to HD/HM from November. Again, as with Similan islands, it is a long day. It takes around 2 - 2 1/2 hours to get there, but then you will be diving at some of the best dive sites, Thailand has to offer. It is very common during the season to sea Manta Rays and/or Whale Sharks.

Well, actually, they can be reached on a day trip. We are at the moment 3 - 4 companies in Phuket who arrange daytrips to Similan islands. I admit, it is a long day, but well worth it for the experience. We leave Thap Lamu at 8 AM (pick-up Phuket around 6 AM) and are back again around 4 PM (Phuket 6 PM). The same goes for Koh Bon, Koh Tachai and Richelieu Rock, though these days will be a bit longer, due to the longer distance.

Wow - I wish I'd known this was possible earlier!!

Out of interest, what is the best time of year to see whale sharks and/or manta rays??

It's different from year to year, but normally we say, that the best time for seeing Whale Sharks is from January until April. Best place would be Richelieu Rock, Koh Bon, Koh Haa Yai near Koh Lanta and Hin Daeng/Hin Muang. A couple of times a year we have them around Phi Phi islands and Shark Point. For Manta Rays, the best time is from November until March. Best place is Hin Daeng/Hin Muang, Richelieu Rock, Koh Bon and Racha Noi. I haven't included Surin island, because you can't reach this one on a day trip from Phuket.