IGNORED

Visa Debit Card

pixofchix

Want to open a Thai bank account and have a Visa Debit card that I can use for online purchases/bookings etc.

Short story, go to Siam Commercial Bank with (very) long time girlfriend (we've lived overseas together for years and have joint accounts overseas. before I get the usual feedback about trusting Thai women). So yes, I can open an account, but not a joint account as we are not married. Huh? Only in my name or hers. No, I do not need a work permit only a 12 month lease on a property - no problem. They have Mastercard Debit card but only can be used in one on one transactions or ATM withdrawals but not for any online use.

Do any of you learned local gentlemen have or know of which Thai bank have a Visa Debit card that can be used for online payments?

Any advice appreciated.

Want to open a Thai bank account and have a Visa Debit card that I can use for online purchases/bookings etc.

Short story, go to Siam Commercial Bank with (very) long time girlfriend (we've lived overseas together for years and have joint accounts overseas. before I get the usual feedback about trusting Thai women). So yes, I can open an account, but not a joint account as we are not married. Huh? Only in my name or hers. No, I do not need a work permit only a 12 month lease on a property - no problem. They have Mastercard Debit card but only can be used in one on one transactions or ATM withdrawals but not for any online use.

Do any of you learned local gentlemen have or know of which Thai bank have a Visa Debit card that can be used for online payments?

Any advice appreciated.

hi mate,

first of all if you use the search option you will find loads of information on this.

but i can give you some info.

i have both siam & k-bank atm cards,they work fine for online banking back here and in belgium.

but they dont work as real visa card to do online shopping etc....

at k-bank you can apply for the option of getting a k-web shopping card.

that is a virtual card that you get with the numbers on it so that you can buy online.

i have used it from here in thailand to do booking & payments,works fine.

not on all sites but it works.

dont know if it works outside of thailand,because i am staying here now long time.

i dont know if siam has the same system or not never asked for it.

what i did ask one time in both siam & k-bank,what to do to get a real visa card like we have in our own country.

that can be used all over the world.

answer at k-bank:

yes sir,you have

if..............

you deposit 1.000.000 on a fixed account at our bank.

ok but no thanks dont want to put that much money on a fixed account.

answer at siam:

yes you can have

if................

you put a min of 100.000 in a fix bank account in our bank.

than within 1 week you get your visa with a limit of 50.000

and after 3 months a limit of 100.000 the amount you put in the fixed account.

if you to upgrade the limit you have to put more money in the fixed account.

sound fair to me.

that was some good information i got there.

i hope this help you out.

greets

sb

• 2 weeks later...

Sponge Bob,

I am also interested in doing something like you did. Basically getting a Visa or MasterCard / ATM with a cash back up. Basically a prepaid Credit / ATM card.

Which banks have you checked on? I see from the post that Siam Bank looks promising. I would be on a visa on arrival type stamp in my passport, so do you think I would still be allowed to have a savings account with ATM attached to it?

Also, is it possible to open a second account? I could use 2 accounts if they would allow it. Deposit of a few thousand dollars US, is to be expected, upwards of $5000 would be Ok for my starting the account it sounds.

Also, I was planning to get to Bangkok and open or try to open the account there. Is that wise? or would it be better / easier to do it from Pattaya?

A business friend of mine got 3rd hand info that some of the rules changed in the last few months, making it necessary to have a residence visa / permit there before an account could be opened. I am just guessing here, but I think he is talking about a business account and he could also be talking about a checking account. I think I only need a savings account with ATM access.

Any and ALL info about this will be welcome!!!!!!!

SCB will open joint accounts if you are not married. You just need to find a branch that know what they are talking about. IMO, this is just another case of a Thai not knowing if it can be done so just says that it can't to save face. If you want to open a joint account try the branch on Soi Bahkhao.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....