Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Case Of Tamiflu-Resistant Swine Flu

Temujin

... but I didn't expect it to be so soon.

Now we have a strain of the virus that has mutated and become immunization proof.

We just can't help fking with things... and fking things up.

I'm sometimes surprised that our species has survived as long as we have. :001_Thank_You5:

http://www.physorg.com/news169567877.html

Hong Kong reports Tamiflu-resistant swine flu case

August 15th, 2009

Hong Kong health authorities have reported the first local case of Tamiflu-resistant swine flu in the southern Chinese territory.

The Centre for Health Protection (CPH) said Friday that the case involved a 40-year-old female resident of a home for the disabled.

CPH controller Dr Thomas Tsang said the woman started taking Tamiflu on July 15 after 21 people at the home fell ill and was later confirmed to be infected with swine flu.

Laboratory tests available Friday showed the virus sample from the woman, who has since recovered, was resistant to Tamiflu, the main anti-viral flu drug.

Describing the case as an isolated one, Dr Tsang said there was no sign of Tamiflu-resistant flu spreading at the home.

Early last month Hong Kong announced it had detected a strain of the H1N1 virus that was resistant to Tamiflu involving a 16-year-old girl who arrived from San Francisco. She was later discharged from hospital.

The health department said Friday there had been a total of 6,640 cases of swine flu in the city.

When Hong Kong discovered its first swine flu case in early May, health authorities quarantined about 300 guests and staff at a hotel where the carrier, a Mexican national, had briefly stayed.

In June, authorities ordered all primary schools in the city to be closed for two weeks after the first cluster of local swine flu cases was found.

© 2009 AFP

"When the going gets weird... the weird turn pro" - Hunter S. Thompson

dude. when its my time to die its my time to die...

5555.. at least i had the chance to enjoy patt...

Edited by Gobby

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

There was a story on the BBC news last week that giving Tamiflu to children may be counter productive.

" We didn't necessarily believe you. We believed your $50". Sam Spade (Humphrey Bogart) "The Maltese Falcon"

"What did it matter where you lay once you were dead? In a dirty sump or in a marble tower on top of a high hill? You were dead, you were sleeping the big sleep, you were not bothered by things like that. Oil and water were the same as wind and air to you." Raymond Chandler: The Big Sleep

dude. when its my time to die its my time to die...

5555.. at least i had the change to enjoy patt...

I agree mate.

I'm not concerned about death... been there, done that...

I just hate abject stupidity, fueled by pharmaceutical companies greed...which this is a perfect example thereof. :)

Edited by Temujin

Does it really matter i this virus is immune to a drug not specifically designed to attack the virus? Swine flu is less deadly than normal flu, and you only have to worry if you have other complications. bird flu, swine flu, Hiv/Siv(simian immuno virus- what hiv is called in monkeys) any one else think the animals are trying to kill us for fucking about with their planet? haha

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.

I used to go missing a lot...Miss Canada, Miss United Kingdom, Miss World.

George Best the World Greatest.. Just ask Pele

I agree mate.

I'm not concerned about death... been there, done that...

I just hate abject stupidity, fueled by pharmaceutical companies greed...which this is a perfect example thereof. :D

Dude, you've died before? I'm intrigued...please do tell more :-)

LM

Dude, you've died before? I'm intrigued...please do tell more :-)

I've been clinically dead twice in my life... or is this my third life? :Question:

It's a long story. Buy me a drink some time and I'll tell you.

Does it really matter i this virus is immune to a drug not specifically designed to attack the virus?

I'm afraid it does.

Every time we develop a drug the virus/bacteria adapt. They are constantly evolving organisms, much like us, just at a highly accelerated rate. A trait evolves in the human race over hundreds of thousands of years, this takes the space of a decade or so for these simple organisms.

The use of simple penicillin over the last few decades, and patients ignorance about completing a full course, has lead to hospitals world wide being assaulted by golden staph and other bacteria that are completely resistant to it.

I even read of one idiotic group in the UK that were trying to genetically manipulate chickens so that anti-biotic's could be formed in the eggs they laid. Did not ONE of these morons consider that they could potentially be giving the Bird Flu virus it's biggest leg up it could hope for?

You are correct that at this current point in time the Swine flu is less deadly than normal influenza. But that could change very rapidly if the pharmaceutical companies get to make millions off a media fueled frenzy over what is currently just a case of the damn flu.

My point was that if we keep fking with things we do not fully understand, we will be the cause of our own destruction.

But that's OK... the earth will just shrug us off as a failed experiment and continue on with the next species. :GoldenSmile1:

Edited by Temujin

What's happened to bird flu?

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

What's happened to bird flu?

Nothing yet that I know of mate, it's still out there. But give us time... I'm sure some-one will fix that. :Question:

Edited by Temujin