Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Motorcycles

Trespass

Hi Gents:

Does anyone have any insight in renting a real Motorcycle (no Scooters, please) in LOS and english-speaking expats of any flavor that would welcome a newcomer for some touring?

Thanks.

[i][size="3"][color="#ff0000"][/color][/size] [/i]

If you havnt ridden in thailand before, even if you are a very experienced rider, I would recommend you rent an auto scooter for the first few days. You will get the feel of how the traffic works (chaotically) and the dos and donts of riding here, which is very different to the safest way to ride in your own country. Given the traffic, there isnt much point in riding anything much bigger than a 125cc around pattaya anyway as you cant get between the rows of cars. just hire your "real" bike for when you want to go touring. Also, many of the hire companies will only let you take their bikes 50km max away from pattaya and the contract you sign states this. Check the bike very carefully for damage before you take it, even take a couple of photos of any marks. let them see you doing this. Good luck, there is nothing as good as being out on the open road on a bike.

Hi Gents:

Does anyone have any insight in renting a real Motorcycle (no scooters, please) in LOS and english-speaking expats of any flavor that would welcome a newcomer for some touring?

Thanks.

though i've never rented one i have seen larger bikes for rent in los. i have no experience touring around patts but have been all over chiang mai, chaing rai, mae hong son and nong khai touring on Scooters. dr. winston and i one time did the entire length of the mekong river with our ladies on the back of our Scooters. the north in my opinion is definitely the most scenic area i've seen to tour in los and maybe you'd want to rent out of that area rather than rent out of patts and ride all the way up. i never noticed the stipulation of staying within 50 kms. of where you rented the bike but if so i've broken that rule every time! long story short it's very possible and i'm sure very rewarding.

Edited by deadwood

I rented a four wheeler from a company I can not remember the name of now recently and it was a bad experience. Not the driving part, that does take some getting used to but the police are out in full force pulling foreigners over. I was pulled over twice in two days for not wearing a helment strape around my neck, even though as he gave me a ticket at leats 20 Thais past me with no helment on at all, and once for no licence. I guess you do need a licence to drive in Pattaya but when has this ever been a problem and if it was that much of an issue, why do you get to pay a fine and are given your keys back to drive off?? I along with four other non-Thai were pulled over at the same time and all given tickets. I was told by a BG that the police are pulling people over because their feeling the ecomony crunch just like everyone else so be careful. If you get a ticket, pay for it at the station and keep a copy for the future. They charged me 1000bt each time they took me in.

I realize this is not the question you asked but I wanted to say that it may be better right now to just hope a taxi to take you where you want to go but any rental service can be found on Beach Rd close to Walking St. Be safe.

Some men like to pay them to stay, I like to pay them to leave...either way you pay.

Thanks Gents, all good advice and insight as I will be traveling solo. If any further reviewers of this post are going to be in Pattaya between Nov 11 - 28 and looking to ride, please let me know. Sounds like it would be all a lot , smarter, safer and practical in a group, no matter how small. This will be my first time there, so I am sure walking the streets for two weeks will be just as entertaining if I can't rise, but I am bummin a little.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't do it!

I've rented big bikes for years in Thailand, CB1's GSXR, R1, Fazer's even a monster Harley from Jomtiem for $100/day! I was lucky....Just a few exhaust burns on my legs. but I've had some friends that were not! Some nasty accidents involving guys with lots of bike experience. Thai's drive fast and crazy, they also drive on both sides of roads, dangerous enough walking across the street much less riding a bike.

Then there's the hassle from the cops, they are waiting for you. Not watching for you...waiting...

Although, I still usually get a 125 to cook around to friends hotels once or twice a day but that's about it. Actually the 125 step-thru with automatic transmission has to be one of the most convenient vehicles in the world. (that's probably why Honda sold a gazillion of them!).

The easiest and safest option is to walk, the second best for me is motorbike taxi's I love those guys they make the trip fast and fun, give them a tip and make sure you wear the plastic hat or you'll get nailed by the TAN MAN !

PS. if you do get a big bike (don't) you'll have to give them your passport until you bring the bike back, I've done this for years without a problem but some people don't like the idea. Also - I found most of the bike rental guys are Muslim, not sure why but thy're doing the business !

Joe's get-it-n-go tacos! Always fresh...

Most of the Harley shops around town rent out bikes

You need a license

You need to be an experienced rider

Pattaya is a dangerous place to ride, yes. If you know what you are doing and ride to your environment you will have few problems

The people who get killed (tourists), tend to be drunk, no license, no experience

I laugh at someone bitching about getting fined on this thread because they didnt have a license???? WTF

Better than being a stain on the road mate

My advise is do it if you are an experienced rider, if you are not you shouldnt be on the road in pattaya. I ride a harley around and have no problems (cept loud pipe fines occasionally)

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

for a first timer get a scooter and get to know the traffic, keep your line on the road and eyes on the front and rear and indicate. it shouldnt take long to understand the flow. have fun, it's a great experience!

I laugh at someone bitching about getting fined on this thread because they didnt have a license???? WTF

My understanding was that your legal with your home countries license as long as your in country on a 30 day visa

is that not correct ?

My understanding was that your legal with your home countries license as long as your in country on a 30 day visa

is that not correct ?

the actual law states that you need home country license and IDP in Thailand. pretty sure it could be dealt with for a few baht anyway, different police, different scenario anything is possible but they could ping you if you dont have IDP as well as home license. main thing is to have a license from home country which at least means some training on a motorcycle

Hiring without one as you know is common in Thailand and it shows in the number of dead farangs every year (i think there was a thread about Thailand being the most dangerous place in the world for british tourists. this was almost solely due to motorcycle accidents

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

Most of the Harley shops around town rent out bikes

You need a license

You need to be an experienced rider

Pattaya is a dangerous place to ride, yes. If you know what you are doing and ride to your environment you will have few problems

The people who get killed (tourists), tend to be drunk, no license, no experience

Better than being a stain on the road mate

My advise is do it if you are an experienced rider, if you are not you shouldnt be on the road in pattaya. I ride a harley around and have no problems (cept loud pipe fines occasionally)

Gator:

Thanks for the response to my question on renting a motorcycle. Yes, I am experienced on Harely's, I am probably more dangerous on a scooter. Do you own or is there a shop you would recommend?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

- JJ

Best bike I've found for using in Pattaya at least is the 400 Honda transalp easy to drive very slowly in traffic and fast enough for out on suhkumvit as well.

I rode for Pony express as a London courier for 5 years and I found pattaya a doddle compared to that.

Stay switched on WEAR A HELMET dont drink and drive and assume everyone else is an idiot and you wont go far wrong

Dont rent anything with loud pipes you are guaranteed to attract the law.

I've been renting from from Mr Wirat on beach road next door to we are the world beer bar for the last 4 years.Hes very negotiable for long term and Ive only ever had one crap bike from him an abused cbr 400 which was swapped with a smile.

Don't forget the proper bikes run like crap on the cheap petrol/gasahol always use 95 ron fuel.

Brevior saltare cum deformibus mulieribus est vita

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

I haven't rented there yet but am planning to. Personally, I wouldn't do it in any of the bigger cities. One place in Chang Mai that rents Harleys. Lots of places rent 400cc Hondas or supermotos and do guided/unguided tours, including enduro bikes and pure off road. To me if you want to ride in LOS, up north is the place to be.

I agree no need to rent a motorcycle on your first visit. You can't go too fast anyway and you will have to get use to the Drunkards, dogs, potholes and two way traffic on a onw way street. 3 of my best mates all died last year on the motorbikes and a girl died yesterday infront of my building trying to quickly drive her bike across the street.