Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Jet Lag

dude8888

I have been to Thailand twice and both times endured severe jet lag which took me about 3 or 4 days to adjust to the local time zone. I arrive from Vancouver which is a 14 hour difference.

My question is has anyone tried retaining their home-base time zone? In other words keep your sleep and awake schedules from you hometown time zone?

There was a study that followed airline workers to determine if keeping your home-base sleep patterns would reduce jet lag when returning home. I was only able to read the abstract, but the suggestion was there was a small but statistically significant difference.

I was thinking of trying it on my next trip and wondered if anyone out there has done so.

I'm from Toronto, and had practically no jet lag once arriving in Thailand or when returning. I did my best to adjust to the Thailand time zone before leaving and that could be why. I knew I was arriving at night, and since it was my first time going I figured I wouldn't be going out that night in unfamiliar territory, so I didn't really sleep the night before leaving and on both planes, and when I arrived at my hotel went to sleep and woke up refreshed.

My question is has anyone tried retaining their home-base time zone? In other words keep your sleep and awake schedules from you hometown time zone?

Sounds like a great idea, you can sleep all day and party all night

• 3 weeks later...

Try to adjust your routine and sleep patterns around the time zone you are going to starting a few days prior to your trip. It's not easy, but it has helped me tremendously.

The CHOCOLATE MAN

Everytime I think of staying with her, she brings a friend around and makes me reconsider

I think Jet Lag is a myth, never, ever had it.

I generally just try and stay awake as long as I can until my body calibrates with local time.

On the first night, even if I have not slept for 30 hours I always try and stay awake until at least 1am.

Try it, should work fine.

Oh, and drink plenty of water in-flight.

live in perth wa(wait awhile) 1 hr time diff so no probs with jet lag best way to avoid probs

I can feel an angel sliding up to me nz immigrants raising the IQ of both countries pattaya makes a humble man hard

My tips are:

1. Adjust your watch, phone, computer etc to the time in Thailand as soon as you get on the plane.

2. Use noise cancelling headphones throughout the flight - switched on even when not listening to anything on the IFE. (Sounds crazy but it works).

3. Drink as much Liquid as you can during the flight - I have one water and one juice every time they are brought round.

4. Don't drink any alcohol during the flight. (This may be a controversial tip but it works for me.)

5. Avoid eating the 'stodgy' food options (e.g. pasta, cakes, potatoes, etc) that the airlines like serving.

6. If you will be arriving during the evening try to avoid sleeping on the plane. (Some snoozing may be inevitable but keeping the seat upright helps.) The objective being to sleep during the Thai nightime.

7. Try and drink one or two rehydration drinks when you get to the hotel. (I pack two Juice Doctors in my suitcase.)

8. When you get to the hotel try to avoid sleeping before your normal sleeping time. My technique is to go for a long walk soaking up the atmosphere and the sunlight(if there is any left).

The above list works for me. I travel direct from the uk (12 hour flight). I get a good night's sleep on my first night and I don't have any jetlag problems in Thailand.

• Like 1

Most folks that travel long distances try to adjust their sleep patterns. In my opinion that is the wrong way to go about it. Your body will sleep when it is tired regardless of the time. What you should be adjusting is your meal times. I travel Cathay all the way and eat according to Thai time. Have never had them refuse me a meal when I wanted it. With more than 3 dozen trips across both ponds this is what has always worked for me. Try it it may be just what you need. Regardless ENJOY!!!!!

• Like 1

May the best of your past, be the worst of your future.

I travel form Pattaya to London, a 12 hour flight, a 6 hour time difference and it always takes me about 5-7 days to recover. As you get older the jet lag gets worse.

• Like 1

Time difference is due to sunlight difference try all above but your on holidasy and will inevitably have a late/early (for yourbody)first night natural light will make your system adjust most quickly. as soon as you wake up - you will never remember to last thing - open the curtains if youse a balcony sit outside if you can or at least by the window relax have plenty of liqued dont sunburn have a light breakfast

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to do the Manchester-Perth 24 hour grueller with practically no sleep and wasn't that jetlagged when I got there. However, on the second night I did sleep for 12 hours.

Sounds like a great idea, you can sleep all day and party all night

That's what I'm going to do. Im from the US, so there is no need to adjust my sleeping schedule because I don't mind sleeping all day. Wake up at 4pm, eat breakfast, hit Soi 6, have lunch, take a shit, shave, shower, hit the gogos and bars, grab a girl, party till 6am, go to sleep... repeat for 13 days

Cheers

bobby

I'm usually OK when I fly from the UK to Thailand. I adjust very quickly once I have arrived in Pattaya. During my first night in Pattaya I sometimes feel tired but after my first night I'm OK.

I usually suffer jet lag when I arrive home and part of the reason for that is because I usually go back to work the day after I get home. So I don't get a chance to relax and adjust.