Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Karon Beach

zilly

Having a change this time, I've agreed to take the GF to Phuket for my 1st week. I know Patong is similar to Pattaya but was looking for advice on other areas. On researching it I think Karon beach appears to fit the bill as it's near to Patong if I fancy a bit of night life but away from the hustle & Bustle and appears to be a decent beach and quite relaxed.

So, bearing in mind that Mongering is off the agenda,...

1. What do you guys think of the Area

2. Any hotel recommendations under 2000 bt PN

3. Will my GF feel like she's back in Pattaya or will it feel like a holiday

Cheers

Z :24:

Karon beach is really nice zilly..... night life nothing like pattaya or Patong , it will be a good place to take gf.

also try the next beach along that is even better (kata beach).

not sure about hotels as ive always stayed in Patong and just gone to these places for the day.

but had friends stay in Karon area 2 years ago , thay said hotels were very nice but more expensive than Patong .332.JPG203.JPG

not a great pics of Karon beach but the only ones i have on this lap top.

also Patong beach is very nice to. if you stay off bangla rd (and sois off it) there are many nice bars (hassle free) any many nice resturants.

guess what im trying to say is Patong is only hard core if you want it that way imo..

have fun stay safe

Bangla road is the only really concentrated bar spot and nothing much going on before dark.

Take your GF to Fantasea one night. It is a huge show and very entertainging. Cast of hundreds including lots of elephants. If I remember right it is half in english and half in thai.

Stayed at Karon Beach Resort and Spa and enjoyed it. Like all places on the beach in Phuket it is a bit more expensive than I would normally be paying in Pattaya but the quality was excellent. Rates are between THB 2,300 and THB 2,800 per night including breakfast, negotiate when you are booking. Small night life in Karaon scene but enjoyable. http://www.phuket.com/karonbeach/index.htm

This is the view from the room

040325 Karon Beach Hotel View_640x480.jpg

Edited by som nam na

karon beach is really nice zilly..... night life nothing like pattaya or patong , it will be a good place to take gf.

also try the next beach along that is even better (kata beach).

not sure about hotels as ive always stayed in patong and just gone to these places for the day.

but had friends stay in karon area 2 years ago , thay said hotels were very nice but more expensive than patong .

not a great pics of karon beach but the only ones i have on this lap top.

also patong beach is very nice to. if you stay off bangla rd (and sois off it) there are many nice bars (hassle free) any many nice resturants.

guess what im trying to say is patong is only hard core if you want it that way imo..

have fun stay safe

Stayed at Karon Beach Resort and Spa and enjoyed it. Like all places on the beach in Phuket it is a bit more expensive than I would normally be paying in Pattaya but the quality was excellent. Rates are between THB 2,300 and THB 2,800 per night including breakfast, negotiate when you are booking. Small night life in Karaon scene but enjoyable. http://www.phuket.com/karonbeach/index.htm

Thanks all...

I'm also running this thread on a rival board and Kata has been recommended there too, as has the Karon Beach Resort, which is particually appealing in this instance. Agodo have it at 2100b PN

Another recommendation was to hire a car and check out the more secluded areas. Anyone got any experience / thoughts on this?

Edited by zilly

Beautifull beach some nice restaurants and a few bars with p4p. Really enjoyed staying here. A suggestion for hotel which i have been looking at is O'Tools Irish bar alough not by the beach front

Get out to the islands for a couple of days. You can stay on Phi Phi overnight and do trips from there. It's beautiful.

Generally the whole area is more expensive than Pats so be prepared for that.

Edited by atb

RULES

1NQq.gif

There are only two types of people in the world, those who can extrapolate from incomplete data......

I have been going annually to Phuket Island for about 9 years now. I have a time share at a resort 18km north of Patong, on Bang Tao Bay. Near the Sheraton.

Gives me a couple of weeks every year. They do take guests, but way over your 2000 bht limit.

But I always go to LOS for 4 weeks.

Use my 2 weeks then go to Patts etc, then back to Phuket. Have stayed at Kata, Karon and Kamala, where Fantasy is situated.

They all have a much tamer night life than Patong, but plenty of bars and of course there is P4P at each place.

IMO Kata is the best beach and night life outside Patong, Karon next and Kamala last because the beach isn't as good as the other 2.

But if you just want to stay away from the Bangla Road scene, go to Patong and stay down the south end of Beach Road.

Last month I stayed at Patong Merlin Resort a few days for 2100bht per nigh and it is 5 star.

3 Large swimming pools, gym and some other entertainment. OH and if you girl want to shop "O Top" centre is just a short walk from the back entrance.

Don't think you will get the price booking ahead, I just walked in mid week and thing were very quiet all round Patong, so I made them an offer.

You haven't said just when you are going. If it is now then no problem, but if in busy period expect to pay much more for the good ones.

I have been going annually to Phuket Island for about 9 years now. I have a time share at a resort 18km north of Patong, on Bang Tao Bay. Near the Sheraton.

Gives me a couple of weeks every year. They do take guests, but way over your 2000 bht limit.

But I always go to LOS for 4 weeks.

Use my 2 weeks then go to Patts etc, then back to Phuket. Have stayed at Kata, Karon and Kamala, where Fantasy is situated.

They all have a much tamer night life than Patong, but plenty of bars and of course there is P4P at each place.

IMO Kata is the best beach and night life outside Patong, Karon next and Kamala last because the beach isn't as good as the other 2.

But if you just want to stay away from the Bangla Road scene, go to Patong and stay down the south end of Beach Road.

Last month I stayed at Patong Merlin Resort a few days for 2100bht per nigh and it is 5 star.

3 Large swimming pools, gym and some other entertainment. OH and if you girl want to shop "O Top" centre is just a short walk from the back entrance.

Don't think you will get the price booking ahead, I just walked in mid week and thing were very quiet all round Patong, so I made them an offer.

You haven't said just when you are going. If it is now then no problem, but if in busy period expect to pay much more for the good ones.

Thanks Lucky, heading out mid Sept

You have several options. September is a relative quite month, so you should be able to find good offers on accommodation.

1. Karon beach. Mostly families stays in Karon. The seafront is long with a lot of good restuarants. The bar scene is concentrated around the Karon circle area. There is also a small area at the intersection from Orchid hotel and Patak road. The beach is very nice but if its windy, no swimming in the sea.

2. Kata Center/Kata Noi. For both families and couples. I personally like the beach at Kata more. Some nice restuarants at the seafront as well as in Kata center. The bars you'll find in Kata center at the seafront.

3. Rawai beach. If you prefer a more quite place, Rawai beach is really nice. It is a bit far away from the nightlife (they have a couple of bars). For a relaxing holiday with your gf, I would recommend this area. If you like to see the island, simply hire a motorbike.

As for trips to do: Snorkeling at Phi Phi Islands, Sea canoeing in Phang Nga bay, Fantasea show (as mentioned before) or if you are into diving, Shark point and the King Cruiser Wreck, Phi Phi Islands or Racha Islands. You can do ATV, river rafting and kite surfing as well.

So to answer your questions:

1. What do you guys think of the Area. I love it, because I live here

2. Any hotel recommendations under 2000 bt PN. Depends of what kind of hotels you are looking for. Try this website or send me a PM. http://www.phuket.com/

3. Will my GF feel like she's back in Pattaya or will it feel like a holiday. This is nothing like Patts

I would definitely suggest kata over Karon just for the food. Even then, the food is still poor quality compared to BKK or Patong and of course pattaya. Almost everything is dumbed down vacationer stuff, except maybe for the street food. this includes the places with bad tables and no budget that one would expect to have great stuff, unfortunately it is just more blah food.

"Look out, it is spicy!" Uh huh.. yeah right.

• 1 month later...

kata beach resort is great! Stayed there my fist trip to Thailand. I think the beach is the best there of anyplace in Thailand. Enjoy yourself!

• 2 months later...

This is the view from the room

040325 Karon Beach Hotel View_640x480.jpg

That look absolutely wonderful for a view, beautiful shot!

• 3 weeks later...

:001_Thank_You5: everyone - I went for the Kata Beach Resort in the end :)

Wonderful choice, my favorite spot!! :D

• 5 months later...

I have not hit Phuket for about 10 years but I will have a few days there before the end of this year.

Karon beach looks very nice.

:001_Thank_You5:

So, bearing in mind that Mongering is off the agenda,...

1. What do you guys think of the Area -

I prefer Karon to Patong - the beach is much nicer not nearly as crowded, and is truly a family beach - a nice place to relax and play. Depending on the tides, the waves are also better for body surfing. The working girls are still at the bars, but not so aggressive. The few ladyboys are generally at one to three bars and there are no f*cking Iguana people or touts - much nicer evenings.

2. Any hotel recommendations under 2000 bt PN

All of the guest houses on Soi Islandia are good values and very nicely priced. Specific recommendations - Karon Cafe, Welcome Inn, and Dave's - on caution, rooms facing the street have a fair bit of noise till 2 am.

3. Will my GF feel like she's back in Pattaya or will it feel like a holiday -

Umm, if she gets into drinking games with the BGs all bets are off, otherwise, no, she should actually have a different enough environment that she'll be able to relax and sleep (which is what TGs like to do most [perhaps second to spending money]).

Enjoy Karon - it is not Patong, but that is the main attraction.

• 2 months later...

Karon and Kata are two of the best places to stay in Phuket. Not only are they laidback, have great beaches and have more than enough bars and restaurants to keep you amused - they are also situated within close proximity to Patong. I used to live in Karon at some point (and Kata), and I though the local expats were very friendly and helpful. These are ideal places to holiday with the missus. If you want a more laidback experience, I always though Nai Harn Beach was a great place.

• 4 weeks later...

I've stopped in Patong & Karon numerous times over the years with my then wife's or girlfriends. I would recommend taking a female to Phuket in general but not to Pattaya.