IGNORED

What Does This Mean?

Ugly_Bob

Hey guys,

Just curious about something. I can speak pretty fluent thai and I call up my girl now and then. When I talk to her or say something funny or silly she says 'Ya don, ya don' What does that mean? I cant find a translation anywhere.

Cheers.

Hey guys,

Just curious about something. I can speak pretty fluent thai and I call up my girl now and then. When I talk to her or say something funny or silly she says 'Ya don, ya don' What does that mean? I cant find a translation anywhere.

Cheers.

Without actually hearing her say it it's impossible to know for sure unless the words are in Thai script as I'm sure you'll know if you're pretty fluent.'Yaa' used in the context you describe almost certainly means 'don't', as for the 'don'. It could be her trying to say 'don't' in English, as they don't end Thai words with an 'nt' combination so she wouldn't be able to pronounce the last bit of the word. I think what she's saying is like 'please stop' because you are making her laugh too much.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

went she is saying "don" it could mean money ( don is how thais say dollar ) . and "ya" means "no" like dr. said.

so it could mean stop money, stop money?

55555555555555555..... nah that wouldnt be it....

its BETTER to be PISSED OFF then PISSED ON!!!..

Hey guys,

Cheers.

'don' is the passive tense. e.g. 'don bat' = was cut, 'don khamoy' = was robbed, 'don daa' = was scolded.. if it is said without any verb afterwards, it means that something 'unspecified' has happened to you.

However, it can also be interpreted as 1 of 2 things if no verb follows:

1) 'puying khon nan... don ru yang?' = have you banged her yet?

2) 'don mai?' = can/did you feel it?

In the way your gf is using it, 'ya don' - i've never heard anyone use it like that before. but from the context, it might mean 'don't bother'/'quit playing around'/... etc.

are you sure she's not saying 'ya bon'? cuz that would be 'quit complaining'.

Edited by djkaveman

'don' is the passive tense. e.g. 'don bat' = was cut, 'don khamoy' = was robbed, 'don daa' = was scolded.. if it is said without any verb afterwards, it means that something 'unspecified' has happened to you.

However, it can also be interpreted as 1 of 2 things if no verb follows:

1) 'puying khon nan... don ru yang?' = have you banged her yet?

2) 'don mai?' = can/did you feel it?

In the way your gf is using it, 'ya don' - i've never heard anyone use it like that before. but from the context, it might mean 'don't bother'/'quit playing around'/... etc.

are you sure she's not saying 'ya bon'? cuz that would be 'quit complaining'.

I thought of don โดน but It makes no sense after 'yaa', Still think she's saying don't 'yaa' in Thai and then immediately translating it as 'don't'(but having trouble pronouncing it) in English as she knows he doesn't understand . I've heard Thais do that many times. Still without hearing it myself.

Yeah I think its "yaa" to mean don't as it doesn't make sense to add dton\ afterwards.

I use the word dton\ to mean "time" in past tense or to tell the time. e.g Dton\ tii^ yuu tii^ meua_ng^ Tay - Time that I stay in Thailand

If I wanted to say something in the past that meant "got" I always use tuuk\. e.g. Kao/ tuuk\ jii^ joon - He/she got mugged

My understanding of women goes only as far as the pleasures.

-- Michael Caine (Alfie, 1966)

Just had a thought. I'm fairly certain she'd be saying 'yaa' meaning 'don't'. If the second word was โดน 'don' as in stricken or affected by something, it could mean 'you got me' if it was meant as a solitary word rather than in conjunction with 'yaa', normally they would say what had stricken/affected them after the word 'don' but they could leave it out. This could apply if you'd deliberately set her up for a joke, other than that, my first explanation is the only other one I can think of without hearing the words spoke myself. Hope this helps.

I think she has you confused with her other sponsor called "Don". When she says "ya don" she's actually saying "yes Don".

ยาดม maybe? heh. I did think perhaps ยาตอน could be colloquial for '(you are) on drugs', but I think it's a longshot.

Edited by herds

I think she has you confused with her other sponsor called "Don". When she says "ya don" she's actually saying "yes Don".

LOL. Maybe now she can afford to pay for some of the drinks.

Thanks for all your replies.

Well, I spoke to her last night, it appears that it is some sort of slang, relating to เดี่ยว โดน. She then refused to tell me or write it in thai so Im going to presume that it is impolite. She insists that it is related to เดี่ยว โดน and nothing else. Maybe its issan slang.....

If she doesnt want to tell me now, I will be in patts in 2 weeks and she will explain it to me then.

LOL. Maybe now she can afford to pay for some of the drinks.

Thanks for all your replies.

Well, I spoke to her last night, it appears that it is some sort of slang, relating to เดี่ยว โดน. She then refused to tell me or write it in thai so Im going to presume that it is impolite. She insists that it is related to เดี่ยว โดน and nothing else. Maybe its issan slang.....

If she doesnt want to tell me now, I will be in patts in 2 weeks and she will explain it to me then.

Well, now I can see it in Thai! it means 'your going to get it in a moment!' diaw=in a moment, don= to be stricken, victim to, affected by.