IGNORED

ID "passport" demands

The Mentalist

How many members on here know of People being stopped and asked for ID (passport). I been comming to LOS for years and never heard of it happening.

Post by Glenjean prompted this question

I've been visiting Pattaya since 1992 and have never been stopped by the police and asked for identification. And I don't know anybody who has

Never been asked for it on the street as such, but if you have an issue and need to talk to police etc they do ask for it.

kamagrauk.co.uk-banner-monthly-international-120x60.gif

use_opendns_155x52.gif

Not heard of anyone from all my friends ever being asked for a Passport.....

Blue

It happened to me about 6 months ago on the way to my girlfriends village for her grandads funeral (near arunyaprathet). On the way we were stopped at a police roadblock in the middle of nowhere, I was in the back of the car with all her family up the front and my girlfriend back with me.... The officer noticed me in the back immediately and asked for my passport. Well, unfortunately I had left it back at my friends house in Pattaya. The family were freaking out about it. The officer asked all the family to exit the car except me. They crossed over the road to where all the other officers were and had a chat for a few minutes. My girlfriend than came back and informed me that the officer wants money. I gave her 500bt and she said too much... She gave me 200bt back and went over to see the officer again. I watched as she handed him the money and gave him a very big Wai, he looked over at me with a cheeky smile and we were allowed to continue our journey. Needless to say, we didnt take that route on the way back to Pattaya the next day.

I dont think you will be routinely stopped for that sole purpose.

However it is a legal requirement so its logical they ask for it if you are stopped for a suspected offence (i.e. traffic) even if it is concocted.

The exception being the road blocks which seem to becoming more frequent although still rare IN Pattaya itself.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

Never - since 2000.

Do have a nice color copy though if necessary.

There was a supposed big crackdown years ago.

I would have copy if I left the big city.

S C

My taxi was pulled over by the Thai police in BKK. They wanted to see my ID, so I showed them a copy of my passport. They were happy with that....That happened this year. No other problems in my past two trips.

I've lived in Thailand for years and have never been stopped and asked to show my passport. Expat friends of mine would tell the same tale. I read somewhere though that the law is that you must carry your passport with you and produce it on demand. I must also warn that prostitution is illegal.

It happened to me about 6 months ago on the way to my girlfriends village for her grandads funeral (near arunyaprathet). On the way we were stopped at a police roadblock in the middle of nowhere, I was in the back of the car with all her family up the front and my girlfriend back with me.... The officer noticed me in the back immediately and asked for my passport. Well, unfortunately I had left it back at my friends house in Pattaya. The family were freaking out about it. The officer asked all the family to exit the car except me. They crossed over the road to where all the other officers were and had a chat for a few minutes. My girlfriend than came back and informed me that the officer wants money. I gave her 500bt and she said too much... She gave me 200bt back and went over to see the officer again. I watched as she handed him the money and gave him a very big Wai, he looked over at me with a cheeky smile and we were allowed to continue our journey. Needless to say, we didnt take that route on the way back to Pattaya the next day.

Fuck me ! Snap !

Arunyaprathet must be notorius for it , i was pulled speeding and had to show passport and bunged the man 500.

" I like to live life like one big carnival, get drunk and act like an Animal "

Ive never been asked throughout thailand what i do is carry a copy of my passport instead of the actual passport a tourist thai police officer said this would suffice in any situation bad bob

Use a high quality color photocopy of your passport ID page and a copy of your stamp back to back. Keep them in a plastic wallet protector, and put a 500 baht note in there with it.

That usually keeps all the questions to a minimum, including speeding issues.