Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Travellers cheques...now back in favour given new bank charges

sybarite

I always carry a mixture of different types of money when I go to Thailand however on recent previous trips I was tending to prefer carrying a small amount of cash and then relying on my Nationwide visa card (which at the time charged zero commission) and few bank cash cards as back up. I would also keep some travellers cheques in the safe just in case.

Many trips ago I had relied only on travellers cheques for money and I found them to be a bit of a hassle. Each night I would be making the trip to the bank with my passport. Queueing up, waiting whilst the girl phoned up to carry out checks, sign this, sign that. She completes the paper work. She counts the money twice. I count the money twice. Then it is back to the hotel to put back my passport before going out to the bars.

I would have to remember to cash the cheques before 10 or 11pm otherwise I would be stranded for the night without any money. A bit like attending an orgy only to find your dick has gone missing.

Remembering to cross off the cheque that you have cashed against the list of bills that you have written up. Pah, too much hassle. The total time from leaving the hotel and returning would be around 10 minutes compared to the 30 second trips to the ATM or the foreign exchange booth. The ATM and the FX booths are open all night and I don't have to return back to the room to put back my passport.

However with Nationwide now charging for the Visa card withdrawals at ATMs and the Thai's introducing the 150 baht charge I have returned back to TCs.

This is despite the horror stories that I have heard about people having problems getting refunds even though they followed the rules exactly. I myself have had problems getting a refund when I lost some travellers cheques.....but that is a different story.

Fast forward to the last day of my recent trip to Pattaya. I didn't have enough cash to pay the hotel bill so I took out a 100 GBP traveller cheque and stuffed it into my money belt.

When I went to the usual bank that I used to cash my travellers cheques the girl (it is always a girl for some reason) came to the window, took one look at the travellers cheque, shook her head and then just turned away and walked back into the office. No words said. What the fuck!

I had no choice but to go to another bank. There the girl examined the TC and then put it back in the receptacle and turned her back. Deja vu?

This time I banged on the window and raised my arms in a gesture to say 'What's the problem here?'.

The girl took up cheque and pointed to the small silver stamp-sized badge on the cheque. I looked closely and I could see that it was slightly scuffed or scratched. The cheque was a little crumpled but it wasn't torn. Having given her explanation this woman then walked back into the back of the office so that I couldn't continue the conversation.

I was beginning to get flustered and a little bit alarmed. It was the middle of the afternoon and I was hot as fuck.

I needed the money quickly so that I could pay the hotel bill and catch a cab to the airport. Now by the time I got to the third bank I was looking worried, perspiring heavily and dripping with sweat.

I must have been sweating like a Hamas guerilla in a body suit queueing up to get into a barmitzvah... :MonkeyFight:

There the girl behind the window did a surprising thing. The first thing that she did was hand me a full pack of tissues which I made full use of. Then whilst I thanked her profusely and held my breath she only glanced at the cheque before processing it.

Thank heavens for that. Phew! I was in danger of missing my flight if this had gone on much longer.

Whilst I was there I noticed a small sign in the window saying that they didn't accept certain types of travellers cheques including Thomas Cook. Pity those guys who come on holiday with Thomas Cook travellers cheques as their sole source of money.

Yes, I will be using travellers cheques for the time being because I hate giving my money away in charges to greedy banks but there are by no means 100% hassle free.

Open a Thai bank account and make a SWIFT payment before you travel. Then use your Thai ATM card. The SWIFT payment costs £20 but if you are like me and at the ATM every day it works out far cheaper.

Dont forget the banks and exchange booths charge 30 Baht per TC

So get large denominations if you go down that route

Hedonist

No bad grammer or spelling mistakes here !!!!

Its the all new language i have invented called "Typonese"

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

Open a Thai bank account and make a SWIFT payment before you travel. Then use your Thai ATM card. The SWIFT payment costs £20 but if you are like me and at the ATM every day it works out far cheaper.

Do the Thai banks offer internet banking?

Can you transfer money from your own country's bank account to your Thai bank account this way? If so then it would be a free transfer and you can easily transfer money back when you finish your holiday.

You can also use xoom to transfer funds... A bit less expensive than wire transfer or Swift transfers...

You can also use xoom to transfer funds... A bit less expensive than wire transfer or Swift transfers...

Doesnt look like they trasnsfer to Thailand

And...aren't they just another Moneygram/Western Union outfit, but a little cheaper?

Hedonist

Copies of the book and DVDs are on sale and are availible at the main desc at the exit sine

Agreed...Swift payments from fedex only cost me €10 for any amounts to my account to Thai bank... Best thing to open an account in Thailand, bring passport to open the account, easy process... Bettere than paying 150bht charge on every withdrawl from your home country visa and atm cards

Agreed...Swift payments from fedex only cost me €10 for any amounts to my account to Thai bank... Best thing to open an account in Thailand, bring passport to open the account, easy process... Bettere than paying 150bht charge on every withdrawl from your home country visa and atm cards

did you need a work permit to open the account? i'm looking at the bangkokbank website and says :

on-residents (Foreign Tourists or Foreigners working in Thailand temporarily)

Passport

Work Permit

If you do not have a work permit, please submit a copy of your passport together with a letter of recommendation as follows:

- A letter of recommendation from a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank such as a Bangkok Bank staff member, a respected customer of Bangkok Bank, a respected university teacher, a respected company director or senior executive. This must be on the form provided by Bangkok Bank (this can be obtained from any Bangkok Bank branch which provides a foreign currency deposit account service) and it must be accompanied by a certified true copy of the identification document e.g. ID card or government official ID card of the person making the recommendation; or

- A letter of recommendation from a reputable organization located in Thailand such as an embassy or an international organization; or

- A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad, acceptable to Bangkok Bank, sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT i thinking of using this opition is it nesscary ?

Its pretty easy to open an account. I did it a few years ago on a 30 day visa on entry. You need to take your passport and have an address. I took my then TGF along to answer any questions that I couldn't, like address etc. Saying that it is pretty hit and miss, some banks let you some don't. I use Kasikorn, took 10 mins and lady came outside to show me how to use ATM and change password etc.

Good Luck...

Its pretty easy to open an account. I did it a few years ago on a 30 day visa on entry. You need to take your passport and have an address. I took my then TGF along to answer any questions that I couldn't, like address etc. Saying that it is pretty hit and miss, some banks let you some don't. I use Kasikorn, took 10 mins and lady came outside to show me how to use ATM and change password etc.

Good Luck...

when you say address ... do they need a bill for that address, something official ? or can you just tell them an address? i Ave got fuck buddy from Thailand over here in Ireland and she say i could use her address ...

I use Nationwide in England. Their charge is 1%. 150 Baht per transaction is the charge in Thailand ATM's right? So for every £300 transaction (around 15000 Baht) I have to pay around £6 (300 Baht.) Maybe a little less given the current exchange rates but just a round about figure.

Granted it's not as cheap as the £3 per transaction that it used to be. In fact it's double. But it's still not a lot of money considering I might make 5 or 6 transactions per holiday. And I'd like to stress that it's a holiday, not every week or month. That's £15-18 more on a 2 week holiday.

Granted it's a disgrace, but I'm fucked if I'm gonna go through all the hastle of all the alternatives to save such a small amount. £18 is peanuts on an amount of £1800.

So let's summarize. 150 Baht of a 15000 Baht transaction is 1%. It is double the amount I am paying to use Nationwide account (which was free until now.)

Having said that, the exchange rates are now c.57 Baht to the Pound which seems to level things out somewhat compared to 2 months ago.

You lot can fuck around opening Thai bank accounts using your TGF's, swift payments, Xoom, exchange booths, etc, etc........Maybe dropping the extra charge down from 1% to 0.75% or 0.5%.

I think I'll stick with my Nationwide withdrawals....hastle free.

The 150 Baht might cost me 1% more than it would have done before the banks started making the 150 Baht charge.

So fuck.

Tight bastards!

:GrinNod1:

COYS!

Edited by COYS

I have a bank account Kasikorn (opened in the Royal Garden Plaza branch). To open an account, you only need the passport, and about 1000 baht (500 baht for the ATM-card and 500 baht will be at your expense). The bank clerk will ask your address, phone number, you can call him to the hotel (or guest houses) and number as the address. Telephone number is required for Internet banking, which will be automatically activated. Internet Banking in Kasikorn may be useless if you plan to transfer money to various accounts, especially in another country, because each new account must be added in the brunch. For online shopping, you can apply for a special e-Card - easy to do.

One of my friend opened an account in Coomercial Thai Bank (branch office in Jomtien Beach Rd.) - It was supposed to buy insurance (no one knows why) the value of ~ 2500 baht.

Do the Thai banks offer internet banking?

Can you transfer money from your own country's bank account to your Thai bank account this way? If so then it would be a free transfer and you can easily transfer money back when you finish your holiday.

I am under the impression that transfering money out of Thailand is not as easy as transfering it in.

Another option is bringing your money as TCs and then depositing all or some of it into the account. This would allow easy access to money while you are out.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

I have a bank account Kasikorn (opened in the Royal Garden Plaza branch). To open an account, you only need the passport, and about 1000 baht (500 baht for the ATM-card and 500 baht will be at your expense).

One of my friend opened an account in Coomercial Thai Bank (branch office in Jomtien Beach Rd.) - It was supposed to buy insurance (no one knows why) the value of ~ 2500 baht.

ATM card is ฿300 at Kasikorn and SCB.

[center][size="3"][url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/21796-getting-to-los-in-one-piece-tips-for-surviving-the-flight/page__p__322708__fromsearch__1&#entry322708"]Getting to LOS in one piece, tips for surviving the flight[/url] [/size][size="3"] [color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Restaurant Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34723-benihanas-brunch-in-royal-garden-plaza/page__p__550523__fromsearch__1&#entry550523"]Benihana's Brunch[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40196-shabushi-restaurant-6th-fl-central-festival/page__p__642739__fromsearch__1&#entry642739"]Shabushi[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/40224-central-festival-food-loft/"]Central Food Loft[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56291-rosabieng-restaurant-sukhumvit-soi-11/"]Rosabieng (Bangkok)[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34681-more-bar-and-grill-downstairs-from-the-marriott/page__p__549788__fromsearch__1&#entry549788"]More Bar and Grill[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34680-valentines-day-at-cherrys-on-third/page__p__549786__fromsearch__1&#entry549786"]Cherry's[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56293-bali-hai-sunset/"]Bali-Hai Sunset[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56294-so-who-wants-to-eat-shit/"]Shit[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/56315-rogers-italian/page__gopid__879575&#entry879575"]Roger's Italian[/url] [/size][/center][center][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Hotel Reviews[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34823-mosaik-apartments-soi-daynight-2/page__p__551879__fromsearch__1&#entry551879"]Mosaik Apartments[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/37964-paragon-place-hotel-pattaya-nua-rd/page__p__605514__fromsearch__1&#entry605514"]Paragon Place[/url] [/size][size="3"][color="#000000"][b][size="4"]Trip Reports[/size][/b][/color] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/34867-a-short-visit-to-koh-chang/page__p__552510__fromsearch__1&#entry552510"]Koh Chang[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38011-khao-yai-national-park/page__p__606162__fromsearch__1&#entry606162"]Khao Yai National Park[/url] [url="http://www.pattaya-addicts.com/forum/topic/38006-songkran-in-the-village/page__p__606114__fromsearch__1&#entry606114"]Songkran in the Village[/url][/size] [/center]

did you need a work permit to open the account? i'm looking at the bangkokbank website and says :

on-residents (Foreign Tourists or Foreigners working in Thailand temporarily)

Passport

Work Permit

If you do not have a work permit, please submit a copy of your passport together with a letter of recommendation as follows:

- A letter of recommendation from a person acceptable to Bangkok Bank such as a Bangkok Bank staff member, a respected customer of Bangkok Bank, a respected university teacher, a respected company director or senior executive. This must be on the form provided by Bangkok Bank (this can be obtained from any Bangkok Bank branch which provides a foreign currency deposit account service) and it must be accompanied by a certified true copy of the identification document e.g. ID card or government official ID card of the person making the recommendation; or

- A letter of recommendation from a reputable organization located in Thailand such as an embassy or an international organization; or

- A letter of recommendation from your bank abroad, acceptable to Bangkok Bank, sent to Bangkok Bank via SWIFT i thinking of using this opition is it nesscary ?

I have a bank account in thai, they only asked me for Passport and address in Paataya, I use my Irish friend (Part time Expat)address, No problem since, 3yrs now

Edited by jocky king

I use Nationwide in England. Their charge is 1%. 150 Baht per transaction is the charge in Thailand ATM's right? So for every £300 transaction (around 15000 Baht) I have to pay around £6 (300 Baht.) Maybe a little less given the current exchange rates but just a round about figure.

Granted it's not as cheap as the £3 per transaction that it used to be. In fact it's double. But it's still not a lot of money considering I might make 5 or 6 transactions per holiday. And I'd like to stress that it's a holiday, not every week or month. That's £15-18 more on a 2 week holiday.

Granted it's a disgrace, but I'm fucked if I'm gonna go through all the hastle of all the alternatives to save such a small amount. £18 is peanuts on an amount of £1800.

So let's summarize. 150 Baht of a 15000 Baht transaction is 1%. It is double the amount I am paying to use Nationwide account (which was free until now.)

Having said that, the exchange rates are now c.57 Baht to the Pound which seems to level things out somewhat compared to 2 months ago.

You lot can fuck around opening Thai bank accounts using your TGF's, swift payments, Xoom, exchange booths, etc, etc........Maybe dropping the extra charge down from 1% to 0.75% or 0.5%.

I think I'll stick with my Nationwide withdrawals....hastle free.

The 150 Baht might cost me 1% more than it would have done before the banks started making the 150 Baht charge.

So fuck.

Tight bastards!

:001_Sawasdee:

COYS!

Guys quibble about 150 baht on a ATM transaction but then piss away hundreds of baht per holiday giving tips or buying lady drinks for girls who gulp it down and are off in the blink of an eye.

Guys quibble about 150 baht on a ATM transaction but then piss away hundreds of baht per holiday giving tips or buying lady drinks for girls who gulp it down and are off in the blink of an eye.

Those few words say it all !!!!! :Bravo1:

Hedonist

Choosing to throw your money away is different then being forced to by running out of cash and withdrawing from an ATM being your only choice to acquire funds.

Nationwide debit card from the UK (only 1% fee imposed by Visa). Use in the yellow Bank of Ahyuda Thailand ATMs (no 150B charge).

Total fees only £1 in every £100, that'll do for me as long as nothing else changes.

I choose to waste my money on drinks for girls that hate me, I don't have a say in whether the ATM nicks it or not. Small money but I'm very principled (read as cheap).

P4P. C4C. Soft Club. Skank Club. Club Bareback. Because if it's worth fucking it's worth fucking properly.

Back in employment. Korando's Bar, Soi Buakhao 15. 

Webp.net-resizeimage hh.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage bs.jpg Webp.net-resizeimage rm.jpg

Bagel and His Adventures in Thailand

My Day Working At Quicky Bar. A Romantic Encounter In A Sattahip Warehouse. Mr Pringles & His Adventures In Thailand.

I have a bank account Kasikorn (opened in the Royal Garden Plaza branch). To open an account, you only need the passport, and about 1000 baht (500 baht for the ATM-card and 500 baht will be at your expense). The bank clerk will ask your address, phone number, you can call him to the hotel (or guest houses) and number as the address. Telephone number is required for Internet banking, which will be automatically activated. Internet Banking in Kasikorn may be useless if you plan to transfer money to various accounts, especially in another country, because each new account must be added in the brunch. For online shopping, you can apply for a special e-Card - easy to do.

Ok I want to make sure for when I arrive soon. Can I open a kasikorn bank account using the address and phone number of the hotel or guesthouse that I am staying at in Pattaya?