IGNORED

Where's the "Hot Tuna" bar band ?

LateNiteMike

Wanted to listen (once again) to some serious Rock & Roll played by my favorite Pattaya band, so I headed out to the Hot Tuna beer bar (opposite Roxy's). I was in shock as I discovered the place had been renovated,...and the band was no longer there ! :What:

Shock turned to dismay and as the mamasan tried to get me to sit with the 'ladies' and have a drink,.....I asked her....."Where's the band?" She said, they are no longer here....but not in that good English. :)

Yes, I did ask her where they went,.....and she said something about the 'Blues Factory'. So, now I'm on a mission....I head directly to the Blues Factory.....and they are NOT there. :Whistle:

I didn't stay long, didn't buy a drink, didn't even sit down,.....just stood there.....not knowing and wondering if I'd been intentionally misled or just misled. :mad:

So,....there you have it.....and I'm sure hoping that someone out there knows the current venue for this great band. I wanna be able to once again sit and listen to some damn good (ol) serious Rock & Roll as I drink my beers, so please help a fellow monger out...and let me know where they are. I'm on a quest.....and I need your help. :Fuck_Knows:

Thx !

No way, they are one of my fave Patts bands. Always give them a thumbs up when I walk by if Im not going into the bar. Nicest guys and they rock out hard.....but I guess the bar owners got tired of hearing Enter Sandman twice a night, 7 days a week lol. I wouldnt mind though. Id be keen to see them again wherever they are.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

do you mean these.they where on 2 weeks ago.it is sad news if this bar has changed.try Utopia lounge very good band there.

pattaya_may_2009_057__648_x_486_.jpg

Wanted to listen (once again) to some serious Rock & Roll played by my favorite Pattaya band, so I headed out to the Hot Tuna beer bar (opposite Roxy's). I was in shock as I discovered the place had been renovated,...and the band was no longer there ! :What:

Shock turned to dismay and as the mamasan tried to get me to sit with the 'ladies' and have a drink,.....I asked her....."Where's the band?" She said, they are no longer here....but not in that good English. :Laugh1:

Yes, I did ask her where they went,.....and she said something about the 'Blues Factory'. So, now I'm on a mission....I head directly to the Blues Factory.....and they are NOT there. :Drunk_Party:

I didn't stay long, didn't buy a drink, didn't even sit down,.....just stood there.....not knowing and wondering if I'd been intentionally misled or just misled. :mad:

So,....there you have it.....and I'm sure hoping that someone out there knows the current venue for this great band. I wanna be able to once again sit and listen to some damn good (ol) serious Rock & Roll as I drink my beers, so please help a fellow monger out...and let me know where they are. I'm on a quest.....and I need your help. :P

Thx !

The band are not at Blues Factory but the Hot Tuna owner has told his staff to redirect customers to the Blues Factory, the only snag is that the Blues Factory has 2 bands so if you come at the wrong time you will miss the rock band which play the same kind of stuff as the Hot Tuna band.

If interested the rock band (and Lam Morrison) play Tuesday & Wednesday from 10pm till close and Thursday, Friday & Saturday 1230am till close.

Lam won't really go deep into the heavy rock stuff but the other guitarist and singer will do most requests.

As far as I know the Hot Tuna band aren't playing anywhere.

:)

Thanks goes out to all responders. Glad to know there are others out there who really appreciate what these guys put out.

Yes, Tommyq...that's the same guys in your photo. I will check out the Utopia band to see how well they stack up against this band,.....but I seriosly doubt that any other band can measure up.

I need to track these guys down, so again,...if anyone out there comes across any info on their new 'digs' I'd love to hear about it.

BTW I know this sounds like a silly question,......but does anyone know the name this band went by? I only know them as the Hot Tuna bar band and I think the lead singers name is Aigo...or something like that, and I think they 'called' the young skinny drummer...'Mouse'.

Cheers !.....and here's to SERIOUS Rock & Roll !

Thanks goes out to all responders. Glad to know there are others out there who really appreciate what these guys put out.

Yes, Tommyq...that's the same guys in your photo. I will check out the Utopia band to see how well they stack up against this band,.....but I seriosly doubt that any other band can measure up.

I need to track these guys down, so again,...if anyone out there comes across any info on their new 'digs' I'd love to hear about it.

BTW I know this sounds like a silly question,......but does anyone know the name this band went by? I only know them as the Hot Tuna bar band and I think the lead singers name is Aigo...or something like that, and I think they 'called' the young skinny drummer...'Mouse'.

Cheers !.....and here's to SERIOUS Rock & Roll !

Bold statement I know but IMO my Rock Machine Band kick their arses, that said though they are a good band, I know them quite well. My part time singer "Tommy" is ex Hot Tuna.

I'll be in there with the owner later so i'll try to find out where they are, if I get any info i'll let you know.

:)

Edited by davethailand

so what has happened to hot tuna bar,there where no signs of it changeing the last week in may.

so what has happened to hot tuna bar,there where no signs of it changeing the last week in may.

The bar is still there its just changed from a live music bar to DJ's and girls with a large bar counter and chairs etc where the band was.

:GoldenSmile1:

To latenitemike- The owner has no idea where the band have gone i'm afraid.

I dig the hot tuna band but I gotta agree with Dave here, the blues factory bands smash them outta the park. If you havent seen Lam, then do yourself a favour. Hes more bluesy that the hot tuna guys, but damn the oldman rocks hard.

I don't buy out the bar, I buy the nightspot.

Ok, well firstly let me thank all responders, and secondly this reply is not meant to be disrespectful to anyone. I appreciate what everyone had to say, but let me take a moment to tell you what thoughts come to mind as I read thru some of the comments.

I've ventured into the "Blues Factory' twice. The first time was alone and the second time was with friends. Both times I ended up sitting along the wall on the right side as you enter the place. The seating was less than ideal, especially if you want to watch the band....which is MY prime motive in going to places with live bands in the first place.

Both times I was quite disappointed in what I heard coming from the stage. I know that may not go down well with some, but hear me out.

Just so you know that I'm not 'blowin smoke' I'd like to let you know that I've been to clubs in the old French Quarter in New Orleans, and I've heard 'Blues' played by some of the originators. I am also a (former) musician and played drums in various bands for many years on the (US) west coast. I've played many types of music including Blues, Dixieland, Rock, Country, R &B, Big Band, Pop, Orchestra, to name a few...and have also played Jazz (my favorite) in several Jazz clubs in San Francisco.

As a (former) drummer, I can't tell you just how 'bad' the drumming was on both the nights I was there. As I remember the guy had a problem keeping the tempo, and what was the worst was that the cymbals on his trap set sounded like garbage can lids. They were among the worst cymbals I've ever heard,....and I've heard a lot!

Now, I like 'Blues'....but I like Rock & Roll better.....and I like (what I call) SERIOUS Rock & Roll even better. So, when I'm looking for SERIOUS R & R.....listening to someone playing the Blues....just ain't gonna cut it.....especially when the drummer doesn't 'measure up' and is using crappy cymbals.

Now I know some of the guys in bands here maybe cannot afford the best equipment,....but I know this also.....in spite of that....the drummer for the (ex) Hot Tuna band (Mouse?) hits ALL the right licks, at the right time, and at the right tempo,...and his cymbals sound RIGHT.

I'll tell you what,....I'm gonna give the band at the Blues Factory one more try. I'll even wait until the hour when the band is supposed to be at it's best....and I'll give 'em another listen...and if it's the same as the last two times....I won't ever bother to go back.

As far as I'm concerned.....to date.....IMHO.....the BEST band in Pattaya is STILL the (ex) Hot Tuna band.....and I'm gonna do everything I can to track 'em down....cause they don't plays Blues....they play SERIOUS Rock & Roll.

Here's to ALL the musicians out there who give their best and make life a lot more enjoyable for all the listeners. :MonkeyFight:

Ok, well firstly let me thank all responders, and secondly this reply is not meant to be disrespectful to anyone. I appreciate what everyone had to say, but let me take a moment to tell you what thoughts come to mind as I read thru some of the comments.

I've ventured into the "Blues Factory' twice. The first time was alone and the second time was with friends. Both times I ended up sitting along the wall on the right side as you enter the place. The seating was less than ideal, especially if you want to watch the band....which is MY prime motive in going to places with live bands in the first place.

Why didn't you move to sit somewhere else? unless it was too busy you are free to sit where you want.

Both times I was quite disappointed in what I heard coming from the stage. I know that may not go down well with some, but hear me out.

Just so you know that I'm not 'blowin smoke' I'd like to let you know that I've been to clubs in the old French Quarter in New Orleans, and I've heard 'Blues' played by some of the originators. I am also a (former) musician and played drums in various bands for many years on the (US) west coast. I've played many types of music including Blues, Dixieland, Rock, Country, R &B, Big Band, Pop, Orchestra, to name a few...and have also played Jazz (my favorite) in several Jazz clubs in San Francisco.

As a (former) drummer, I can't tell you just how 'bad' the drumming was on both the nights I was there. As I remember the guy had a problem keeping the tempo, and what was the worst was that the cymbals on his trap set sounded like garbage can lids. They were among the worst cymbals I've ever heard,....and I've heard a lot!

IMO I can't see how the cymbals would sound bad, especially where you were sitting, this is the first time I've heard this complaint especially as the cymbals are original brand name ones.

No disrespect but I don;t think theres a comparison with the sound sets up at both venues. Blues Factory is set up by a pro soundman (non thai alos)

Now, I like 'Blues'....but I like Rock & Roll better.....and I like (what I call) SERIOUS Rock & Roll even better. So, when I'm looking for SERIOUS R & R.....listening to someone playing the Blues....just ain't gonna cut it.....especially when the drummer doesn't 'measure up' and is using crappy cymbals.

Now I know some of the guys in bands here maybe cannot afford the best equipment,....but I know this also.....in spite of that....the drummer for the (ex) Hot Tuna band (Mouse?) hits ALL the right licks, at the right time, and at the right tempo,...and his cymbals sound RIGHT.

I'll tell you what,....I'm gonna give the band at the Blues Factory one more try. I'll even wait until the hour when the band is supposed to be at it's best....and I'll give 'em another listen...and if it's the same as the last two times....I won't ever bother to go back.

You were watching the wrong band mate. the band you saw was the blues machine who will not play rock, regarding the drummer each to their own but personally i don't agree with you, the blues band drummer is very highly respected in both Bangkok and Pattaya and has been playing for 40 years, Mouse will know who he is (incidentally he is also in his mid 50's and as you say you are a rock fan of course he is not up to the stamina etc of Mouse.)

Another thing with that band is the band leader Snowman, he is from Chicago and a WC Handy blues federation award winner and a BB King "Lucille" award winner, the only musician with awards like that in Thailand I would guess, he has a habit of rearranging most songs to put the bands own touch on them, this sometimes causes problems with the arrangements as the Thais sometimes listen to original recordings to get the arrangements etc and of course the new changes aren't on them.

As far as I'm concerned.....to date.....IMHO.....the BEST band in Pattaya is STILL the (ex) Hot Tuna band.....and I'm gonna do everything I can to track 'em down....cause they don't plays Blues....they play SERIOUS Rock & Roll.

Here's to ALL the musicians out there who give their best and make life a lot more enjoyable for all the listeners. :D

As said you got the wrong band, tuesdays and wednesdays from 10pm is the rock band all night and you can also catch them after 1230am on thursdays, fridays and saturdays.

they are ex Rock Pub Bangkok players but have been with Blues Factory for a few years, they are joined by Lam Morrison.

They like playing requests also, last night they did a few classics like Sad but true, Iron Man, Black Sabbath, UFO etc etc.

:Laugh1:

Edited by davethailand

• 3 months later...

Shock turned to dismay and as the mamasan tried to get me to sit with the 'ladies' and have a drink,.....I asked her....."Where's the band?" She said, they are no longer here....but not in that good English. :Laugh1:

Yes, I did ask her where they went,.....and she said something about the 'Blues Factory'. So, now I'm on a mission....I head directly to the Blues Factory.....and they are NOT there. :Question:

So,....there you have it.....and I'm sure hoping that someone out there knows the current venue for this great band. I wanna be able to once again sit and listen to some damn good (ol) serious Rock & Roll as I drink my beers, so please help a fellow monger out...and let me know where they are. I'm on a quest.....and I need your help. :GoldenSmile1:

Thx !

I agree, I saw those guys in the summer of 2008 and they were excellent. The lead guitar guy played a classic red Gibson SG....as good as any bar band I've seen. I took a video and named him :Eddie van Thailand" I saw "Eddie" sitting on a curb on Walking Street this summer, he said the band wasn't playing any more.

"Hard work never killed anybody......but why take a chance??"