IGNORED

A bit of slang

barney

I was reminded of today.

Bang - meaning a note (banknote)

Bang yeesip - a 20 baht note

Bang loi - 100 baht note

is that slang?

I always assumed it was, as tan na bat means note. I just looked it up though after your query, and it seems it's an accepted word. Oh well, still worth knowing though I suppose!

I assume that you are referring to แบงค์, Baeng

Don't actually hear it often but it is actually a loan word from the English "Bank"

ธนบัตร tá-ná-bàt means Banknote or treasury bill, but quite a posh way of saying it I think.

แบ๊งค์ใบ Baeng bai may be more commonly used but I usually just hear

ใบ bai used for banknote, maybe because it is obvious from the context of the sentence

ใบ bai means leaf or sail but is also a classifier for many flat objects such as notes, sheets, tickets etc. Also for some reason eggs.

Chasing girls can be expensive

But it's more expensive if you catch one

These are more like idioms:

Pasaa dok mai = language of flowers / language of love

nguu nguu blah blah = snake snake fish fish / only know a little about something

Talking about slang.

ภาษาตลาด paa-săa dtà-làat, literally language of the market, means slang, but the phrase is not known to all Thais. It's not a localized thing as some people from the North, Isaan and central areas will understand. Some will not.

This would mean that there has to be another Thai word for slang that Everybody knows, but I don't know what it is.

Any suggestions?

Sow Baht is used alot and its slang for 20 baht...

No place on the Planet like Pattaya..Don't let your meat loaf

Sow Baht is used alot and its slang for 20 baht...

That isn't slang, it's Lao.

Also for some reason eggs.

That's 3 classifiers for eggs that I know of now!

Fong, Luuk and Bai.

Talking about slang.

This would mean that there has to be another Thai word for slang that Everybody knows, but I don't know what it is.

Any suggestions?

Pa sa salang?

Edited by barney

Pa sa salang?

Maybe Barney, but that's really another word borrowed from the English language.

That's 3 classifiers for eggs that I know of now!

Fong, Luuk and Bai.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think that fong is usually used for fried eggs and considered a bit low class.

But you've given me food for thought ('scuse the pun :) )

I'm not so good with remembering classifiers, I wonder if classifiers change for some foods when they are cooked.

Any newbies to learning Thai, if you are wondering what a classifier is. (I certainly didn't know when I started to learn.)

In English we don't use classifiers so much.

Some examples

2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of beer, 4 bars of soap. 1 pack of cigarettes

But -

I have 2 sons - no classifier

In Thai it would be - I have son 2 people

I have beer 3 bottles

I have cigarette 1 pack

I will eat mango 2 fruits

etc etc.

Classifiers take some learning but there is one อัน ahn that can be used for almost everything, but stick to Kon for people as ahn is not so polite in this case

Edited by Loong

Here is some slang for a fun night out:

They ask where you go (bai nai)? - You answer: Bai jap gai (in search of loose women)

They ask they want go with you? - You answer: Nok khao mai kahn (literally translated The pigeon does not sing anymore but in slang it says you cant get it up!)

They ask you have lady? - You answer: Puying Thai antaray, ped chop gin kuay ( Thai women dangerous, the ducks like to eat cock)

Will have them rolling every time :GoldenSmile1:

If a TG asks you "are you single?" you can reply "Soht taa mai sot" โสดแต่ไม่สด = Single but not fresh i.e I'm single but I've been around.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

I assume that you are referring to แบงค์, Baeng

Don't actually hear it often but it is actually a loan word from the English "Bank"

ธนบัตร tá-ná-bàt means Banknote or treasury bill, but quite a posh way of saying it I think.

แบ๊งค์ใบ Baeng bai may be more commonly used but I usually just hear

ใบ bai used for banknote, maybe because it is obvious from the context of the sentence

ใบ bai means leaf or sail but is also a classifier for many flat objects such as notes, sheets, tickets etc. Also for some reason eggs.

I would say that it could also be the word แบ่ง baeng meaning "to divide" or "part of" as in แบ่งย่อย baengyooy, which I have heard used in reference to small money or change. It depends on the context of course, if it's just referring to a note of set value, say 20 Baht it is more likely to be the borrow word for bank. If it's in refference to a note used for change then baeng meaning a part of is more likely.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

• 3 weeks later...