Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Driving in Thailand

Tango

Hi guys, i've been driving motor cars for over 30 plus years and in Thailand for 8 or so as well. Can amyone explain to me the Thai method of driving, other than the 'close yours eyes and hears an think of Buddha' Every single day, every 100 metres (if I'm lucky and not shorter) I see some hair brain piece of driving, motor bike or car!

And as for the big 4x4's being driven with some piece of totty on board, sunglasses, 6 cushions under her butt so she can reach the steering wheel, chin to the windscreen etc.etc. Can farangs STOP buying their piece of skirt a flipping great big beast (a buffalo ios good enough).

Any way like to hear your unbiased views or experiences!

Tango

:)

www.247servicedapartmentspattaya.com

Be bold, be bright and more importantly be happy!

they have method in thier driving ? news to me

first few days here i was horrified on the roads and am still amazed at just what you can get on a moped and still be able to ride it never mind a pick up truck

im also amazed the amount of guys that try to get me to go on a jetski or bike taxi when im in town , considering im in a wheelchair LOL

I hate the way everybody flashes at you, weither they are behind, in front, 500 metres away on the other side of the road. it bugs the hell out of me sometimes to the point I just flash back. I know its a warning but when somebody does this coming towards you on the otherside of the road....why????????

Flashing warning lights means 'I'm going across the + junction' would be easier to not indicate?

BTW, the flashing headlights mean 'Stay out of my way' i'm driving too fast to stop!

flashing can mean

>im passing when i shouldnt, get out of my way my time is more important than yours

>your passing when you shouldnt, can't you see me?

>theres cops ahead, get out the 2 bills

>theres an accident ahead, they will be in the same place as they ended up, its thai law not to move vehicles after and accident till the cops have arrived, so possibly there is a truck side ways around the corner and blocking most of the lanes

>theres an intersection ahead and there are cars/motos trucks likely to pull out, they will anyway if they heading the same direction

>theres a motocyc about to swerve in front of you, i'm to small to get hit.

be careful out there!

Member since Dec 06.

Good observations, basically 'No law. method or process' me thinks!!!!!

I hate the way everybody flashes at you, weither they are behind, in front, 500 metres away on the other side of the road. it bugs the hell out of me sometimes to the point I just flash back. I know its a warning but when somebody does this coming towards you on the otherside of the road....why????????

It means I am coming through

Thais are terrible drivers and basically have no defensive driving capabilities whatsoever. It seems they have no concept of other traffic. I have ridden bikes all over thailand and most of asia and the only way to ride (or drive) is constant monitoring of your environment up to 1km ahead and be ready for anything

Good point about the 4x4's. i rode back to Pattaya from Phuket after songkran in Phuket and the road was packed with traffic all the way from Surat Thani to Bangkok. The 4x4 drivers drove like they were on motorbikes splitting traffic, all over the road etc. It got that bad I ended up stopping at Hua Hin to finish the trip the next day

The amount of unbelievable wrecks on long straights on Thai highways says it all

They cant drive for shit!!

Better to be daring and cool, than timid and uncool! Life's journey is not about arriving at your gravesite in a well preserved condition, but rather dropping into it in a long sideways skid, totally worn out, and shouting "Holy Shit...What a ride" - Indian Larry

I have driven here for 7-8 years and it used to "drive" me mad. I eventually resigned myself after realising that there was only one person getting upset and that was me. My ex-wife took here driving license about 5 years ago (and has never had an accident, unlike myself) and I asked what they taught her a bout road regulations. We never spoke about that, she says. The sad truth is that you do not learn, then qualify for your driving license, you buy it for 500 baht.

A Thai columnist suggested that the reason for the total lack of road manners and consideration for other derivers, the agression and arrogance on the roads have their roots in the Thai hierarchical society. At work, people have no say, they simply have to do what they are told. Everything is black and white, they are not allowed to think for themselves. Hence, when they get out on the roads, they find freedom. Now I am the boss and I can do what I want.

You also have to blame the total lack of law enforcement. Traffic lights are a mere suggestion, traffic lanes are made up on the fly depending on how many cars can squeeze in side by side.

My particular bitch that forces me to stay cool is... in fact there's a few. Double-parking on major roads blocking the traffic flow and their pathetic way of getting going when they have stopped at a traffic light. It takes ages to get the car going and the attitude seems to be "if I get through myself that's fine, bugger all the others". When 2 cars manage to get through a right-hand turn on green you have to wonder what the hell they are doing.

Nothing will change because the police think the same way as all other drivers. The horrible truth is that they could pay the salary of an additional 100,000 police if they supervised the roads and intersections and stopped and forced fines on wrongdoers. The problem is that there are no "wrongdoers", it's free for all. Many farangs like it this way. Even worse is that the majority of "crazy" drivers, whether cars or motorcycles, are very young people. Does it suggest that Thai society is evolving into a totally lawless society?

Some good points made jaha! Especially the Thai society point. perhaps a way for the 'working class' to say 2 fingers to all! And you are right, the only person to get frustrated is meeeee! The problem is 'My driving is getting as bad as eveyone else's' Not good for my long term health either way.

• 2 months later...

Someone coming towards you flashing you on a highway is not saying "I'm coming through."

Its just the same as in the UK. Its a warning, most likey the BIB up ahead or an accident or some other kind of road obstruction. They are doing you a favour!