Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Should i extend my visa or just overstay for 5 days?

Drogan777

Hello,

I have 2 questions. I only have a visa until 10th April, but my flight back home is on 15th April. The visa extension process in Pattaya is a bit of a pain in the ass.

So i read that there is the rule, that i have to pay 500 baht for each day i overstay. Could i risk it, to just go to the airport and pay the 2500 baht penalty for overstaying or could i get in more trouble? How does it work? Does someone have experience with it?

My 2nd question would be, if i extend my visa via the immigration, is it exectly 1 month that i get? So if my visa runs out on 10th April, can I extend exactly until 10th May, if I extend?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by Drogan777

21 minutes ago, Drogan777 said:

Hello,

I have 2 questions. I only have a visa until 10th April, but my flight back home is on 15th April. The visa extension process in Pattaya is a bit of a pain in the ass.

So i read that there is the rule, that i have to pay 500 baht for each day i overstay. Could i risk it, to just go to the airport and pay the 2500 baht penalty for overstaying or could i get in more trouble? How does it work? Does someone have experience with it?

My 2nd question would be, if i extend my visa via the immigration, is it exectly 1 month that i get? So if my visa runs out on 10th April, can I extend exactly until 10th May, if I extend?

Thanks for your help!

1) Bad idea, it’s against the law and if the police check you, you will get in trouble (locked up, I believe)

2) you get 30 more days from your expiry date exactly. 

I would take the time to extend. Chances are if you don’t, you’ll be fine and you’ll make it to immigration without getting caught. But there is a slim chance that you get caught. It’s not worth it to me. 

• Like 1

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

If it was me I'd pop into a visa agent who'll do the extension for you in advance and without the hassle or visit to Jomtien immigration.

The cost for the agent to do it will likely be around the same as the overstay fee, but without the threat of spending time in Bangkok's illegal alien centre hanging over your head for the final 5 days.

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

27 minutes ago, forqalso said:

I would take the time to extend. Chances are if you don’t, you’ll be fine and you’ll make it to immigration without getting caught. But there is a slim chance that you get caught. It’s not worth it to me. 

I have been told that if you have an overstay record, then in the future you might be refused if you apply for a retirement O-Visa

ผีเสื้อ

1 minute ago, roger buttmore said:

If it was me I'd pop into a visa agent who'll do the extension for you in advance and without the hassle or visit to Jomtien immigration.

The cost for the agent to do it will likely be around the same as the overstay fee, but without the threat of spending time in Bangkok's illegal alien centre hanging over your head for the final 5 days.

You still have to visit immigration (briefly) when using an agent 

unless something has changed?

1 minute ago, Gonetothedogs said:

Personally I'd visit an agent to find out. Worse case they will accompany there as part of the fee and you'll be in and out in literally a minute because they jump the queue.

You may well be correct that things may have changed, but I can only speak from a retirement visa perspective as only once in the previous decade have I ever been transported to appear in person (briefly, for a photo) at immigration.

An agent can inform the OP ahead of time exactly what's required and the choice is then his to take. What I certainly would NOT do is wing-it by being an illegal alien. That can result in serious consequences.

• Like 2

Scent from my anus using crapatalk

1 hour ago, Gonetothedogs said:

1) Bad idea, it’s against the law and if the police check you, you will get in trouble (locked up, I believe)

2) you get 30 more days from your expiry date exactly. 

This and this!! 

Use an agent. Mine is called VIP Visa. Served me very well for years. And I don't need to show up for the various things (on Thai elite, though. So could be different with a tourist visa.) 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

I get the impression the OP is just going to do whatever he originally intended to do, anyway.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

No. I think i will ask at an agency, if they can do it for me. I would be willing to pay 500 baht, if it saves me the hassle of going to the immigration. I already got the photo. Thanks for your advice!

Edited by Drogan777

It’s not 500 baht you will be paying the agent … more likely to be nearer to 5,000 baht . The fee alone is 1900 baht ..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Drogan777 said:

No. I think i will ask at an agency, if they can do it for me. I would be willing to pay 500 baht, if it saves me the hassle of going to the immigration. I already got the photo. Thanks for your advice!

You will still have to go to immigration and it will cost you at least 3,500 baht 

Edited by Gonetothedogs

Oh ok. I thought there are agents who do it for 500. I know that the fee is 1900. I was already counting that in.

5 hours ago, forqalso said:

Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not scared of getting caught by the police during the 5 days. But which immigration are you talking about? The one at the airport? Would i need to go there if i have to pay for a fine?

The agent I use, is 4000 baht, which includes the 1900 baht visa fee.

And yes, you must turn up to get your photo taken, as proof that you attended in person.

@Drogan777 Only you can make this decision, but one piece of advice I would give you is, be really careful where you use or show your passport. 

Check into a hotel, change money, etc. may all require showing your passport, so plan ahead.

9 minutes ago, Drogan777 said:

Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not scared of getting caught by the police during the 5 days. 

Well, you should be.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Drogan777 said:

Can you explain what you mean by that? I'm not scared of getting caught by the police during the 5 days. But which immigration are you talking about? The one at the airport? Would i need to go there if i have to pay for a fine?

I was talking about immigration at Suvarnabhumi. I guess if you make there, the IO will direct to where to pay your fine. The other immigration office; if you decide to get an extension, is in Jomtien on Soi 5.

Winston Churchill

If caught on overstay by Pattaya police, they will transport you to Bangkok, leaving whatever property of yours in your hotel room, You can be held up to seven days before seeing a judge, so there’s a good chance you’ll miss your return flight. Depending on the class of ticket, the ticket may be lost. Hopefully you’ll have a credit card with you and not in the hotel safe, as you’ll stay locked up until you or a friend or family member books your ticket home. You’ll have to book a one way, last minute ticket that will probably cost more than the round trip tickets that got you here. If you are arrested in Pattaya; or anywhere before BKK immigration, you will be looking at a five year re-entry ban.

THe old “risk - reward” argument. A couple \hours dealing with a visa agent or what I described above.

Winston Churchill

So, if I have a visa until 10th April and I will extend it on more time, they will give me a visa exactly until 10th May? Because I'm thinking about changing my flight and I would need to know the exact date, until which I could stay.

It's your 'until' date (from your immigration stamp)

PLUS 30 days (not necessarily 1 calendar month)

Using your dates the new extension 'until' date would in that instance be 10th May

Edited by regyai

On 22/03/2024 at 00:07, Gonetothedogs said:

I just extended in January. I went into the agent, we did the paper work and waited about 10 minutes. Three of us then loaded into their car and they drove us a few blocks to immigration. I don’t recall what, if anything, I said to the immigration officer. 
We left, my passport stayed. I then picked it up the next afternoon with the new extension stamp in it. 
I used VIP visa, cost 3500b. 

Edited by fourrings
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Drogan777 said:

So, if I have a visa until 10th April and I will extend it on more time, they will give me a visa exactly until 10th May?

Yes.