Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Flight attendants' retirement age debate (historic)

DrDepravity

In your perfect world, what should the air hostess retirement age be?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. In your perfect world, what should the air hostess retirement age be?

• up to 30 yo
    • 31-35 yo
    • 36-40 yo
    • 41-50 yo
    • more than 50 yo
    • No compulsory retirement age

1960s flight attendants being interviewed about airlines' compulsory retirement age requirements (32yo) at TUL airport. At the time most airlines still enforced this policy.

Laws were changed in the US in the 1970s.

DrDepravity is currently servicing this region:

In the 60's the airline I worked for did not have an age restriction, but had to quit if married. Consequently we had a few oldies that never married.

9 hours ago, DrDepravity said:

1960s flight attendants being interviewed about airlines' compulsory retirement age requirements (32yo) at TUL airport. At the time most airlines still enforced this policy.

Laws were changed in the US in the 1970s.

:Bored1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same as Singapore Airlines - 3 x 5 year contract terms for entry grade and and further  2x 5 years if the promoted to leading stewardess. Further promotion means permanent and executive responsibilities. 

A lot of their crew are graduates who want to see the World at a young age and aware of the terms and many exit by the second term to take up lucrative careers in their job in finance, F&B , teaching, owner operators of cafe and f&b outlets. Entry level is 18 years, but must have at least 5 O level and good command of English. 

Policies might have changed. 

Edited by Joeleg

One needs to remember the reason that there are flight attendants...it's not to serve us food and be eye candy, however that is a serious plus, but they are there for our safety.

• Like 4

Do we still have board member Daytona here? I recall him mentioning that he is an active flight attendant. Would be interesting to read his perspective on the matter.

TGOEA

Maybe this is why I have been flying JAL since covid:

Japan Airlines (JAL) has specific age requirements for aspiring flight attendants:

• Minimum age: JAL requires candidates to be at least 20 years old to begin the application process.
  • Maximum age: Their recruitment page specifies an upper age limit of 28 years old.
Edited by LASportsNut

I wonder if I'm in the minority on this. When I choose the airline and flight for my travels, the age and/or looks of the flight crew isn't even on the list of things I consider.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

I wonder if I'm in the minority on this. When I choose the airline and flight for my travels, the age and/or looks of the flight crew isn't even on the list of things I consider.

I am the opposite. I don't fly American, United, or Delta to Asia because the flight attendants are usually older and are unionized.

Unless they take a liking to you, they won't go out of their way to help you beyond their regular "must do" duties.

However, the hostesses in all the Asian countries seem to go the extra mile to help in anyway.

Some of you make it sound 

On 12/03/2024 at 23:52, Roadglide said:

One needs to remember the reason that there are flight attendants...it's not to serve us food and be eye candy, however that is a serious plus, but they are there for our safety.

And that is the main reason why they are there!

Not sure why "eye candy" would be a plus to anyone.... Ain't like any of you guys going to be having sex with them! 555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LASportsNut said:

fly American, United, or Delta to Asia because the flight attendants are usually older and are unionized

I'm curious what does that have to do with anything when you're flying! 

Matter of......screenshot shot below! 

Screenshot_20240315-134815_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Rocketboy
  • Like 1

They are called Flight Attendants not hostesses or stewardesses! :)

Edited by Rocketboy
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Rocketboy said:

They are called Flight Attendants not hostesses! 

I still hear a few old, and not so old codgers refer to them as hostesses. Sad really.

Really don’t give a toss anymore, are you trying to pull them or something?

As long as they are competent and bring me the odd drink, I’m fine 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I flew Philippines air a couple of years ago just before landing an announcement came one of the stewards was having his last flight after 32 years, well he walked around the plan to applause from everyone and I was thinking bloody hell how far had he traveled and how could you spend 32 years serving passengers in a plane , bet it was heaps different from when he first started. A jobs a job I suppose.

Edited by atst
add

I was flying business class (with BMI ?) from Scotland to London many years ago, when the flight was delayed/cancelled.

About 10 minutes after the announcment - my name and a womens name was called out.  It turns out we were the only two business class passangers, and they offered to put us on a flight with the crew to London who were going down to staff the route the original plane was taking when it got to LHR.

It was a tiny 8 seater plane - and it ended up being good fun.

The woman travelling with us was some kind of HR consultant, and the flight crew had a big chat with her whilst I sat quietly and drank my tea.

What I picked up was:

• Weight/Fitness is more important than age - if they get fat, they get sacked.  This is supposidly down to safety and the speed they can get round the plane in an emergency, but the girls thought it was more for 'eye candy'
  • Looks is important, and however good they are at their job, if they let their looks drop they are pushed out.
  • They called the Cabin Manager the '10/10'........as they are allowed to put on 10lbs and be 10 years older.
  • Like 2

On 12/03/2024 at 23:52, Roadglide said:

That Haneda Airport Runway collision this year really put that into perspective. Amazing how they got everyone off the plane alive.

Australian and UK carriers are intent on making their safety videos as “fucking hilarious” as possible, for some reason.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Gonetothedogs said:

That Haneda Airport Runway collision this year really put that into perspective. Amazing how they got everyone off the plane alive.

Pretty amazing they got all 367 passengers and 12 crew off the plane with only minor injuries, and they only used three of the eight evacuation slides.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

Pretty amazing they got all 367 passengers and 12 crew off the plane with only minor injuries, and they only used three of the eight evacuation slides.

As a retired FA (1983-2004) that was truly fucking amazing!!!! 

Emergency evacuations were part of what we learned and trained for in initial FA training. Afterwards we had yearly recurrent training! 

I still remember some of what we were supposed to say once the slides were deployed at your door. The first two off we said "you and you stand at the bottom and hold the slide"! The next two off we told them "you direct people away"!

I went back to the airline industry in 2008 to 2018 when I retired again and moved here. I worked as a customer service agent at the gates. At times we had  incidents at the gates that we were also trained to handle.

Edited by Rocketboy
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rocketboy said:

I still remember what we were supposed to say once the slides were deployed at your door. The first two off we said "you and you stand at the bottom and hold the slide"! The next two off we told them "you direct people away"!

I always found it curious that they specifically mention women should take off their high heels.

It must have been in response to incidents where they slid down with them on and tore the whole damn slide to shreds.

11 minutes ago, simon6666 said:

I always found it curious that they specifically mention women should take off their high heels.

It must have been in response to incidents where they slid down with them on and tore the whole damn slide to shreds.

Yes that is correct we did say that among other things!

Edited by Rocketboy

4 hours ago, Gonetothedogs said:

are you trying to pull them or something?

Good luck with that! 555

1 hour ago, Rocketboy said:

As a retired FA (1983-2004) that was truly fucking amazing!!!! 

Emergency evacuations were part of what we learned and trained for in initial FA training. Afterwards we had yearly recurrent training! 

I still remember some of what we were supposed to say once the slides were deployed at your door. The first two off we said "you and you stand at the bottom and hold the slide"! The next two off we told them "you direct people away

I’ve been on JAL quite a bit, and several times already this year. During the flight I usually get up to mill around and stretch a bit. One of the flights was just 2 days after the accident. I kept running into the same flight attendant, so we chatted for a minute, then I made a point to briefly raise the subject of the accident, recognizing that it was still very recent. I offered my appreciation for their training department to prepare the crews for this type of scenario. She thanked me profusely for my comment and mentioned that the crews were still being debriefed. Management had already sent communications to all JAL crews that the flight crew on the mishap aircraft are all being taken care of (whatever that means).

I think that the JAL A-350 was all Japanese passengers. They all waited patiently for the commands of the flight attendants. Would that have been the case on a North American carrier? I have my doubts.

• Like 2

TGOEA

45 minutes ago, Bira said:

Would that have been the case on a North American carrier? I have my doubts.

Me too! 555