IGNORED

The Base Condo 30sqm - who can share his experiences?

jochen_we

After several condo stays in Pattaya (view talay 6, Avenue and GA)I have now booked for the first time via airbnb in „The Base“. 8 weeks for two on the 26th floor in high season at a reasonable price. The reviews of the different condos in The Base are very different from good to bad. The main points of criticism are: too small; dirty; vermin; neglected; dirty sheets...
Who has experience and can report?

3 hours ago, jochen_we said:

After several condo stays in Pattaya (view talay 6, Avenue and GA)I have now booked for the first time via airbnb in „The Base“. 8 weeks for two on the 26th floor in high season at a reasonable price. The reviews of the different condos in The Base are very different from good to bad. The main points of criticism are: too small; dirty; vermin; neglected; dirty sheets...
Who has experience and can report?

IMO for an 8 week stay, GA would be my choice but you must have reasons to chose The Base instead. The wife owns a unit at The Base and for about 7 years we used it as a beach-get-away and it worked fine for that. When renting from airbnb or other online short term sources, you are dependent on whatever management service is employed to handle the unit. Since your intended stay is lengthy I would think you will have a bit of "leverage" to have corrected most deficiencies and arrange linen/towel changes to your liking. They do regular pest control in the common areas and owners can opt for individual unit service at a cost.

• Like 4

I stayed at the Base for 6 weeks toward the end of 2022, but I wouldn't stay there again. The units are small, and the layout feels cramped. Paint was peeling off from the balcony, and one of the bedroom window seals started leaking. The AirBnB host installed drain covers, so I never saw any bugs. The walls were a bit thin (noise), and the unit I stayed in faced the courtyard (noise late at night). Also, the lack of any restaurants or stores on the property means that you have to take a long walk every time you need something. The doors to the elevators (slow, crowded) require a card key, so if you have guests, you will have to go downstairs to meet them (lots of TF girls waiting in the lobby).

I suffer from PTSD, Post Thailand Stress Disorder =P

Thanks jetdoc and tokyojoe2010 for the information 👍

Have stayed at the Base a number of times (usually for 3 weeks) and have a mixed experience.

Worst time was a near constant infestation of roaches (used several cans of bug spray to limited effect).

Other than this the stays are not bad. Yes, the units are very compact. The appliances all work, washing machines and cook tops vary by owner but no issues.

The walls are thin and the hallways magnify sound (hard tile floor, no sound dampening ceiling or walls) so you will hear people in the halls from the living room - from the bedroom no problem.

Be very aware of location - parts of the base overlooks LK Metro and the noise from the clubs can be an issue - best to get a unit on the inner side (the two buildings are L-shaped).

I've had no issues with elevators though during peak times there can be a wait. The gym and pool are well maintained.

Since access is controlled by key card any guests visiting will have to be met in the lobby.

Overall, not a bad choice especially if you cook any meals.

I will be staying there in April (Airbnb).

Thanks. The Condo is in building A, 26th floor. So the major issue may be roaches or other insects

Stayed in the Base six out of my last seven trips and I will stay there again next time. Maybe I was lucky but never had any cockroaches in my rooms. Main reason for me to stay there is it's location. Can't be beat IMO. That said, I would strongly suggest staying in Building A and try to pick a South facing room. Great view there from the higher floors. Cons are that as mentioned before the rooms are not very big but it doesn't bother me as I stay alone. For two people it probably is to small. Picture below is the view from my room last December, 12th floor Building A.

image.thumb.jpeg.e42eb14337120a156f610ba13dd717b0.jpeg

• Like 2

sexy-naughty.png.764576a2887de17787b7331889800d21.png

Thanks a lot. That makes me optimistic. I am with my wife who likes cooking and she already said that we will manage with the small condo size. Also I think that the view from 26th floor must be good. At less than 1.300€ for 8 weeks in peak season we decided quickly to go for it.

I've stayed at the base twice.  Once was in a two bedroom with a pretty nice view that was well kept.  It was a decent unit.  The second time I stayed in one of the Chinese Airbnb factory rooms that was complete, and total crap; the room really highlighted how shoddy the Base was constructed.  Just about everything in the unit was rotting (including the balcony railing).  IMO the Base is a complete dump.  You're much better off going to an aged place like VT6, or The Edge if you need someplace newish.

I will never stay in the Base again.  

Stayed there quite a lot during COVID

the room was very small, but nice enough. The AC was cool and it was comfortable to watch TV in the “living room” Internet was fast too.

Kind of an inconvenient walk to go to 7 tho. Had to wait for the elevator then there’s that walk to the road and it takes about 20 mins to get back so you can’t really just “pop out” for anything. Found myself not going in and out much, usually just spent all day out and went back for showers.

Before covid.  U could get units for dirt cheap.  I remember staying there for less than 20usd per day.  

Unfortunately.  Roaches and bad units have ruined this place for me. 

During my initial trips to Pattaya in 16' & 17', I stayed at The Base.  I had nothing to compare it to.  It was inexpensive, fairly new, in a great location and had solid amenities. Seven/ Eight years later, I would never stay there for more than a night.  I did just that two years ago, stayed for a night. It looked run down, there were signs of roaches near the garbage.  The unit I stayed in was fine but the units are too small and the pools are small and I like to swim.  

My assessment is it's fine, but the price has expanded to the point where for 10-15 more USD per night you can have a unit with far more amenities and space.  

I've also gotten older, i'm 42 now, and I don't party or drink like I used to, so my needs are far different than many on this board. 

If you can deal with the size and it's managed well, you will be fine.  If you don't have a washer in your unit you may want to send your laundry out as the machines get crowded and I believe are 10baht per load.  If you appreciate the gym and the pool try going when they are just opening or closing.  The elevator will be slow during certain times of day. 

Good Fortune, I hope you enjoy your stay. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PGSTC776 said:

The second time I stayed in one of the Chinese Airbnb factory rooms that was complete, and total crap; the room really highlighted how shoddy the Base was constructed.  Just about everything in the unit was rotting (including the balcony railing). 

I agree on the construction.  

On 12/03/2024 at 15:17, jochen_we said:

Thanks a lot. That makes me optimistic. I am with my wife who likes cooking and she already said that we will manage with the small condo size. Also I think that the view from 26th floor must be good. At less than 1.300€ for 8 weeks in peak season we decided quickly to go for it.

That is a solid daily price. 

On 11/03/2024 at 21:44, jetdoc said:

IMO for an 8 week stay, GA would be my choice but you must have reasons to chose The Base instead. The wife owns a unit at The Base and for about 7 years we used it as a beach-get-away and it worked fine for that. When renting from airbnb or other online short term sources, you are dependent on whatever management service is employed to handle the unit. Since your intended stay is lengthy I would think you will have a bit of "leverage" to have corrected most deficiencies and arrange linen/towel changes to your liking. They do regular pest control in the common areas and owners can opt for individual unit service at a cost.

Is your wife Thai? 

Thanks to all who replied to my topic. So my stay will basically be dependent of how the Condo itself is managed. All the other points can of course also be annoying, but they don’t put me off completely.

If I would find another good Condo for less than 1.500€ from 20.11. until 13.01. I still could cancel my airbnb booking until 20.10. Helas I don’t know how to find an alternative not too far away from Buakhao/ Pothole

condo usually dont worth it for a short stay. There is so much low copst hotel in pattaya with full service on site, condo seem to offer more privacy but except for the id check at the door there is no difference on a short stay. except that you will ahve to clean the place and beg for towel and do your laundry. its like beeing on vacation at home. 

I stayed there several times with my girlfriend in her room, 7th floor building B. No issues with bugs, she was super clean. My problem was that she had gotten the cheapest furniture option, and the bed was as hard as a rock, and the bedroom was only slightly larger than the bed itself. She used the bed for folding clothes, and slept on the couch. Couch was WAY too small for both of us. If we were planning on sex that night, we had to stay at my place. And I agree with many others on here, waiting forever for an elevator just so you could walk half a block just to get to the gate, meant walking out lead to walking away, just not worth going back for hours.

16 hours ago, Timon88 said:

Is your wife Thai?

yes

You already know what's wrong it's small.

On 14/03/2024 at 21:59, Phoenix Dave said:

And I agree with many others on here, waiting forever for an elevator just so you could walk half a block just to get to the gate, meant walking out lead to walking away, just not worth going back for hours.

That would do it for me … slow/overcrowded elevators irritate me.  

I'm currently in a 35 sq meter one bedroom with balcony in building B, 21st floor facing north.

I had to book last minute as my flight home was cancelled and I decided to extend my stay for another month.

Positives:

-great host who has outfitted the condo very well; appliances, linens, bedding, decor, soaps, trash bags etc., internet, TV

-very convenient location

-elevators and common areas are decent

-no hassles from security with guests etc

Negatives:

-Noise is the biggest negative. The Candy Club on Buakhao is basically three blocks away, but has a direct line of sight and the sound travels. (I even pick up their wifi).  Live band every night until 4am. Can hear the band with earplugs in.  I've become more accustomed, but really it's a disturbance.  I would try to avoid anything above the 6th floor on the north side of building B

-The size of the condo is fine with the exception of the bedroom, I wish I had a Queen bed and more room to move around. 

-The long walk in and out of the complex becomes tiring after a while.

-Although not really that bad, The pool and fitness rooms aren't that inspiring.  Small and can get busy. The infinity pool never has any space, the small day pool never has sunlight.  Gym is minimal and can get busy.

In conclusion, it's basically fine, but probably won't stay here again. 

Even though I haven't stayed there before, next time I would like Grand Avenue or somewhere in that area.

there are so many better places to stay in pattaya other than the base. I dont really get why people opt to stay here when you could rent a hotel for the same price.