IGNORED

Flights from Europe to BKK with stopover/layover

Blackline

Unpopular opinion but I like layovers on flight. I've got a prioritypass and some airports like Doha offer great facilities. Shower, eat even sleep for free and yeah you arrive a few hours later but much more refreshed. I know some airlines like Qatar and Emirates are even offering multi-day stopovers at attractive rates. Has anyone got any experience or other top-tips on which cities to fly to bangkok from? I'm not really limited to flying from Amsterdam, if there is a good route from another city that's fine. Thanks!

1.  Dubai with Emirates

2.  Abu Dhabi with Etihad

3.  Istanbul with Turkish Airlines 

Haven’t tried Saudi (dry airline) and you seem to be aware of Doha with Qatar

There are also the smaller Middle Eastern airlines (Oman Air, Gulf Air, Royal Jordanian); Oman is supposed to be really good on a good day; I’m flying the return leg in business on Gulf Air (using Aeroplan miles) BKK-BAH-FRA this April and could tell you more after that. I’ve heard Royal Jordanian isn’t particularly special, particularly the lounge situation in Amman, but you might find a decent fare. 

TB-ES

10 hours ago, Blackline said:

Unpopular opinion but I like layovers on flight

Totally agree and don't know that it's "unpopular". Coming from Copenhagen, the Arab options are indeed my favourites as it sort of breaks the trip in half. Looked at Istanbul last time. But not quite as attractive. Second leg would be something like 9 hours. Might as well go direct in that case. 

• Like 4

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

thanks for the tips so far. Which country/city in Europe do you guys think is best? Amsterdam gets pretty good rates 600-700 return to BKK when lucky, but maybe there are even better options?

24 minutes ago, Blackline said:

Which country/city in Europe do you guys think is best?

Try something like Skyscanner, Google flights, Momondo. Should give you a good idea. 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

55 minutes ago, Blackline said:

thanks for the tips so far. Which country/city in Europe do you guys think is best? Amsterdam gets pretty good rates 600-700 return to BKK when lucky, but maybe there are even better options?

I don’t thing it’s possible to name one country. It varies all the time and can be apparently illogical at times. 

My last trip was SAS from Oslo, great price in Business Class. Probably because they were reintroducing the route. The flight was Oslo to BKK changing planes in Copenhagen. It was several hundred pounds cheaper from Oslo than from Copenhagen. Now SAS is really expensive. 

I use Kayak to search as it offers the facility to search plus or minus three days from specified dates. Prices can vary quite a lot from day to day. 

Eva fly from Vienna and seem to be cheaper than from London. 

Amsterdam often looks good. Frankfurt worth a try. Just spend some time amending your search by varying the starting point. 

I suspect the cost of the positioning flight from UK will put a dent in any savings in economy, possibly rendering the exercise pointless. 

There’s also the risk of your positioning flight being delayed causing you miss your BKK flight. Remember also that when you arrive in, say Vienna , you will need to clear customs/immigration, collect luggage( if any) and check in for your onward flight. 

Edited by Snowbird99

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing really good offers to Singapore right now. Doing a few days Singapore and over to BKK is an option, though unfortunately not a stopover in the Arabs so a long fligt.

By the way tip for those flying from Europe to BKK with Qatar:

On 24/02/2024 at 07:58, Ash101 said:

you seem to be aware of Doha with Qatar

Doha is indeed a very nice stopover, if you have Priority Pass they have free sleeping pods available. They are only for 3 hours but the first thing the guy there asked me is: do you have unlimited lounge access? Cause if so, I'll swipe your card twice and enjoy your 6 hours of sleep. Shower and breakfast at the lounge afterwards, best layover ever.

On 24/02/2024 at 11:02, Blackline said:

I flew FinnAir a few times 2016 - 2019 and the flight time to BKK from Helsinki I am certain was just under 10 hours. Its only a 2 hour flight to there from Dublin where I live so this route was definitely the quickest..and the airport in Helsinki is very easy to transit through and get around.

Their price is too much though post covid and presumably they are not flying over Russia at the moment either so no longer really viable.

But a really good airline and enjoyed flying with them...got a couple of really cheap bizzy class upgrades too (on one occasion from BKK to Helsinki for €280)

Now Qatar are my go to airline, IMHO a cut above anything else...and the airport in Doha is a Palace

In 2022 i flew with Emirates OSL - DXB - BKK and I liked 2x6 hour flight.

Last year 2023 I flew Finnair OSL - HEL - BKK, and I am doing the same in 3 weeks time with Finnair. Nice company, and they had the best time for me vs work.

Etihad have by far the quickest "airtime" for a 2 sector flight whether out of Amsterdam or London

In fact in October last year it totalled just 11 hours 25 on the day out of London quite astonishing considering the slowing down as we approached Abu Dhabi etc