Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thailand allocates 50 million baht for foreign tourist insurance!

plahgat

https://www.tatnews.org/2024/02/thailand-allocates-50-million-baht-in-medical-aid-to-assist-foreign-tourists-in-case-of-accidents/

The 50 million Baht will be used to provide relief to foreign tourists on a case-by-case basis in the event of accidents, crimes, and other unfortunate events or disasters. But it must not be caused by tourists’ carelessness, intention to commit illegal acts or have circumstances that risk causing the incident.

Foreign tourists are eligible for coverage if they have valid passports and must be visiting Thailand between 1 January – 31 August 2024 with a tourist visa or for the purpose of tourism only.

The compensation rate in the case of death is up to 1 million Baht. In the case of permanent organ loss, loss of sight, or permanent disability, a payment of 300,000 Baht will be given. In the case of accident injuries, actual medical expenses will not exceed 500,000 Baht.

Edited by plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

Better than a poke in the eye from a sharpened stick.....

but not much better :unsure:

Already paid up mine for next trip, and it has extra stuff which wouldn't be covered by this, but this is interesting.

I wonder if they'll continue it, and if insurance companies will tailor some policy offers around it.

I just registered my next trip on: The Ministry of Tourism and Sport (MOTS) website:

https://www.tts.go.th

and got this confirmation via e-mail:

....Thank you for registering to receive travel coverage for entry into Thailand through Thailand Traveller Safety (TTS) on our website www.tts.go.th. We are pleased to inform you that the registration process has been successfully completed!
       You can check the details of your coverage at www.tts.go.th. Please use the information you provided during registration to access your protection details.
       Following the completion of the registration process, the TTS code you receive will have a validity period of 30 days. If you are still within Thailand, Please proceed with a new registration For continued coverage, you can register 2 days in advance before the expiration date....

So, it means the insurance cover 30 days, and if you stay longer you have to re-register!

Also this is an "accident" insurance, and doesn´t include sickness or theft,

so you still must have your normal travel-insurance! 😉

https://www.tatnews.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/MOTS-Assistance-Scheme-for-Foreign-Tourist-Injury-and-Casualty-14Feb2024.pdf

Edited by plahgat

When no money... she no give honey! 

52 minutes ago, simon6666 said:

I wonder if they'll continue it, and if insurance companies will tailor some policy offers around it.

I'd presume the insurance companies wouldn't be to happy about this.

34 minutes ago, atst said:

I'd presume the insurance companies wouldn't be to happy about this.

What's that got to do with anything?

It's business. If something else emerges, you adapt or fail.

The Gov website is scant on the details - if you're catapulted off a twist-n-go ('i's dotted & 't's crossed) is that a covered 'accident'? who knows.

And anyhow 50 mil isn't going far if covering any and all accidents. It's either going to be a discretionary disbursement, or going to need pots more funding.

Edited by regyai

18 minutes ago, regyai said:

And anyhow 50 mil isn't going far if covering any and all accidents. It's either going to be a discretionary disbursement, or going to need pots more funding.

For sure.  At the payment rates quoted,  the first hundred claims are likely to drain the entire pool.

Also,  $12,000 for a permanent disability isn't much.  You can barely get a wheelchair for that.  Maybe it would be enough to have a nurse travel with you during the flight home.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

13 hours ago, simon6666 said:

What's that got to do with anything?

It's business. If something else emerges, you adapt or fail.

Well if the government is providing insurance why would I buy it, that's what I was getting at.

You answered your own response adapt or fail would that make them happy, I think not.

Edited by atst
Add

6 minutes ago, atst said:

Well if the government is providing insurance why would I buy it, that's what I was getting at.

Perhaps you will be buying it. The government has talked for some time about another tax on tourists arriving in the country to cover accident costs for those without their own insurance. Will a start date be their next announcement?
If so it is a vastly under funded scheme. 50 million won’t come close to covering all the costs. I wouldn’t want to rely on this.
It also says tourists visas. Will it apply to visa wavers which is a category most of us on here will fall into. 

Who but a fool would buy insurance with NO Ts&Cs/NO schedule of cover/and a net worth of 50M baht?

As it stands at the moment it's a novelty albeit a free novelty. Where it goes & how it pans out is pure speculation

The cynic in me says it is simply an allocated (little) fund to engender 'big face' photo ops when the next holiday disaster getting bad press coverage hurts the perceived image

• Like 2