IGNORED

Software availability

Grumbler

Hi, I haven't been to Thailand since covid, but coming over  soon.

Anyone know about copy software for Mac current availability?

Tukcom in Pattaya, Pantip Plaza in BKK.

Tukcom used to have a limited range.

There was one supplier at Pantip who had a good range.

I can't buy a new Mac desktop until i have updated software to run on it.

Filemaker Pro is a nuisance, i've never found anything higher than version 14.

Looking for Adobe Suite, Acrobat Pro,  Navicat, Final Cut pro, image cataloguers, recovery apps, etc. etc...

Mate I think you could get anything like that on Lazada....  

I have a PC, not Mac, but got Office etc off there no problems..... There is not a lot left in Tukcom...

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

BitTorrent.  Nobody buys hardcopies of software anymore.  If you do run into anyone trying to sell hardcopies, they just downloaded it off BitTorrent.

Edited by Kale

piratebay?

or just install linux and/or use open source alternatives of all proprietary software you used to rely on.

Agreed, there is so much open source software out there (for windows pc), which is just as good as the paid stuff. I simply don't waste time on pirated software anymore.

1 hour ago, XCPP said:

piratebay?

or just install linux and/or use open source alternatives of all proprietary software you used to rely on.

Virtually 100% of software is available online, and definitely 100% when it comes to what you're looking for.

The only reason you'd go into a physical store would be to ask someone for recommendations if they had experience with particular programs, which most salespeople aren't going to have anyway.

Whatever you're after, do both your research and purchase online.

Edited by simon6666
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Kale said:

BitTorrent.  Nobody buys hardcopies of software anymore.  If you do run into anyone trying to sell hardcopies, they just downloaded it off BitTorrent.

BitTorrent is a protocol, not a solution.

If you mean pirating, that, in my opinion, would be exceedingly poor advice.

Pirated software is virtually always bundled with malware, which is usually the whole point of people producing the pirated version in the first place.

Music and movies might be a little different, but for software, best to purchase legitimately from the manufacturer's website.

Edited by simon6666
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, XCPP said:

Linux is a step too far for most people, but open source/free is underrated.

There are free alternatives to most mainstream software packages these days for the budget-conscious, if you can live with certain limitations and occasional compatibility issues.

Just Google "Free version of <whatever it is you're looking for>"

LibreOffice (formerly OpenOffice) is a good example.

1 hour ago, simon6666 said:

Pirated software is virtually always bundled with malware, which is usually the whole point of people producing the pirated version in the first place.

fwiw, this is absolutely not true, especially if you use trustworthy private trackers instead of public ones. 

but it's still good to be very careful in general with pirated software, of course. 

TFMI.WTF : The home of the Thaifriendly Master Index – your invaluable guide if you use Thaifriendly in Pattaya.

3 minutes ago, petehoax said:

fwiw, this is absolutely not true, especially if you use trustworthy private trackers instead of public ones.

Rarer with private trackers, yes, and you're probably right that I did overstate it, but very comfortable with my decision to advise towards legal pathways 🙂

• Like 2

Can I say that all that is really unhelpful.

i don't have $10,000 to buy genuine software.

open source is not very good eg Gimp on Linux is pretty awful and i don't want a separate computer for Linux.

i don't need Office.

no one has explained how to find a torrent.

previous software from Pantip Plaza has always been good, no malware and fully cracked often by clever russians.

what is a private tracker?

i looked at Lazada, there's a few possibles there but you still have to do a yearly subscription to Adobe.

a search for "free version of photoshop" produced nothing useful.

in other words its much easier to walk into Pantip and buy the bloody stuff.

i'd appreciate any response that is actually helpful.

thanks

i use Photoshop, Illustrator,Acrobat,  Navicat (mySql client), BBedit (free), Audacity (free), Da Vinci Resolve (free), iView media pro (now defunct), Filemaker Pro (really expensive, Databases in Apple and other free suites are terrible), Transmit (free ftp clients are awful), Handbrake (free), Thunderbird (free).

most of my work is for my websites.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Grumbler said:

Can I say that all that is really unhelpful.

I would point out that you are getting exactly the value you paid for these opinions.

15 minutes ago, Jake.houston said:

I would point out that you are getting exactly the value you paid for these opinions.

Agree, and there are entire online communities dedicated to ripping off software that would be better places to ask a question about ripping off software than this board.  Folks who try those should make sure that their ripped-off antivirus software has all the ripped-off updates installed.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

All i was asking was about Pantip and Tukcom for crying out loud.

i was not seeking moral, ethical and self-righteous opinions.

3 hours ago, Grumbler said:

most of my work is for my websites.

No one buys physical copies of software anymore. They’re not even available. Adobe stuff is all subscription based. Physical copies don’t exist. 

You have the appropriate user name at least. 

Edited by Arnie85

1 hour ago, Grumbler said:

Then sir, you have vastly misjudged your audience and the internet at large for that matter.

1 hour ago, Grumbler said:

Tukcom will be a waste of time for what you want......

This thread a degenerated into a  hilarious romp. I'm laughing so hard right now.🤣 I love you guys! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grumbler said:

Get it online, champ.

Like I said in this post.

But don't do it illegally, because that's bad.

19 hours ago, Grumbler said:

You were figuring to buy full-price, fully-licensed but older versions of software in these places?

19 hours ago, Grumbler said:

If it makes you feel any better, the I ripped off the opinion I gave you, and I gave it to you at a greatly-reduced price.  :wink:

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.