IGNORED

The Edge what to expect? - need a washing machine, rooftop pool and sea/gulf view, good option for us?

jdubz99

As the title says, spending the last 5 nights of a 3 week trip with the GF in Pattaya in March.

Her requirements are a rooftop pool, central location (near a mall ideally) and in room laundry since we'll be in need of some fresh clothes and ideally a view of the Gulf of Thailand.

I booked a studio room with "sea view" at the Somerset as this seems to tick all the boxes, but at 33,000 baht this doesn't even include breakfast it seems overpriced for what it is. I found a room at The Edge for 1/3rd the cost (it's one of the bigger rooms with the laundry/kitchenette by the "balcony" area).

I've always stayed at hotels in Pattaya. Is this a good alternative given the massive savings?

We will have a guest join us most nights (she's a pretty awesome gf) and some hotels will charge for a third person since we're already 2 in Thailand (most won't but it's hit or miss). 

I'm assuming at The Edge this is no problem and we can have anyone up as we please?

I'm aware it probably won't be as nice, the pool might be a bit more crowded, we'll only have one room card instead of two to access the property, the walls can be thin etc and we'll have to pay 500b just to have house keeping, but since we won't need it every day those cons seem minor overall considering the massive savings. We'll also probably just buy some beach/pool towels from the market close by for cheap.

I think The Edge is almost a no-brainer here? What am I missing? The Somerset is def overpriced for what it is, but the GF has her requirements... and the Arbour is too far of a walk. She won't do outside laundry and doesn't want to pay for the hotel to do it (she's a weirdo I know) so that's a deal-breaker. And the pool to relax is also a must since the Beaches are blah.

Edited by jdubz99

I stayed last christmas and I HATED the Edge.

The room was advertised with washing machine.  Lie.

The room was advertised with Wifi. Lie.

The room is so small and cramped, with a glass wall between the bed and the toilet, so if you or your girlfriend needs to use the facilities at night, everyone is waking up, regardless if you want or not.

The pool on the 35th? floor is so high up the breeze was too cold to enjoy, and with only 8 lounges for 35 floors of guests, good luck at actually scoring somewhere to lay down.

I booked through Airbnb, who everyone knows lately is ZERO customer support. Not their problem!

So, maybe this condo owner isn't lying.  Maybe they did install a washing machine.  Maybe they did pay on first day to register for wifi.......

Or maybe you'll run across a bad apple like I did.

I wouldn't be staying at The Edge for 5 days, just because it has a washing machine. Plus bringing girls back to a small apartment isn't great since you will have limited towels and no housekeeping each morning.

Choose a hotel that fits your preferences for price, location and amenities, then tell your GF she has two choices: Use a laundry service or there are self-service laundries around she can use herself.

For 33k baht, I would be seriously considering The Hilton.

Edited by MidniteM

5 hours ago, Pabloypablo said:

I stayed last christmas and I HATED the Edge.

The room was advertised with washing machine.  Lie.

The room was advertised with Wifi. Lie.

The room is so small and cramped, with a glass wall between the bed and the toilet, so if you or your girlfriend needs to use the facilities at night, everyone is waking up, regardless if you want or not.

The pool on the 35th? floor is so high up the breeze was too cold to enjoy, and with only 8 lounges for 35 floors of guests, good luck at actually scoring somewhere to lay down.

I booked through Airbnb, who everyone knows lately is ZERO customer support. Not their problem!

So, maybe this condo owner isn't lying.  Maybe they did install a washing machine.  Maybe they did pay on first day to register for wifi.......

Or maybe you'll run across a bad apple like I did.

Yikes. Sounds like your host was a dud. I only stay with superhosts who have only positive reviews and have never had an issue, but I've never done this in Thailand before. That still doesn't assure me of anything.  Thanks for the feedback!

2 hours ago, MidniteM said:

I wouldn't be staying at The Edge for 5 days, just because it has a washing machine. Plus bringing girls back to a small apartment isn't great since you will have limited towels and no housekeeping each morning.

Choose a hotel that fits your preferences for price, location and amenities, then tell your GF she has two choices: Use a laundry service or there are self-service laundries around she can use herself.

For 33k baht, I would be seriously considering The Hilton.

Yeah, the Hilton is tempting for that money... I've stayed there once before but I don't think I ever would again. If it were just me I'd be at the Blackwoods or Amethyst or maybe a more basic room at the Somerset. The housekeeping is a non-factor as we can order it from the Airbnb host for 500b which is peanuts given how much we'd be saving.

I'm def wary of staying there but she is adamant on having a washing machine.  Just booked a room at the somerset without a sea view but has a washing machine for 9K baht less. Leaning towards that option now but it's still way more than The Edge 😞  I'm already shelling out $$$ for The Standard in Bangkok. Love my GF but she likes what she likes... which fortunately includes convincing Gogo girls to come back with the 2 of us lol so I can't put my foot down too hard.

Edited by jdubz99