IGNORED

Best time to extend 30 day tourist visa

windsors420

My 30-day tourist visa is up next Tuesday the 13th. When would be a good day to go to Jomtien to get a 30-day extension? I know the office is closed on Sunday. However, I really don't want to go there during the Chinese New Year over the weekend. Is Friday a good day? Or would that cause me difficulties since it's a few days before my Visa expires? I really don't want to go on Monday because I'm looking forward to the super bowl and I'm going to be wiped out after getting up really early. On Tuesday, the day of my Visa expiration I really don't want to have a nightmare if I have trouble renewing, and I'm worried about the after effect of the Chinese New Year. Any advice about a good day to get my Visa renewed would be appreciated. Thank you friends.

It's generally advised not to go on Friday or Monday. I'd say do it asap. 

Btw, it's not a visa. It's an exemption. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

If you do it yourself. Go within 5-7 days of expiration. An agent can do it anytime. I suggest the agent. It will cost you 2000. But what is your time worth. 

You're really short on time. If you want to use an agent, you should contact them today. You can also use the agent to the left of immigration. It is more expensive, but, drop off the passport. Go have lunch. Come back and pick up your passport. 

Edited by SlowlyMan

14 minutes ago, SlowlyMan said:

An agent can do it anytime. I suggest the agent. It will cost you 2000. But what is your time worth.

That would be a bargain, visa fee, DIY, is from memory, thb 1.900

5 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

That would be a bargain, visa fee, DIY, is from memory, thb 1.900

Well, it's 1900 for immigration. 2000 for the agent. So total 4000. At least that's what I paid last year.  Still a bargain though. Imho

Edited by SlowlyMan
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, SlowlyMan said:

Well, it's 1900 for immigration. 2000 for the agent. So total 4000. At least that's what I paid last year.  Still a bargain though. Imho

Absolutely agreed. I happily use an agent (vip visa) for anything immigration related. 

• Like 2

I just used VIP-VISA last week for this service. 3500 total including the 1900 IM fees. I did mine 1 day before, but I think you can do it with them any day before the expiration date. Need to go to IM for a picture by the IM officer thought, in and out less than 10 minutes in my case. They will deliver your passport back to your hotel the next day.

Edited by h.harris
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, windsors420 said:

When would be a good day to go to Jomtien to get a 30-day extension?

If youre planning on doing it yourself, you are already well behind imo. The Chinese New Year might add even more difficulties.

As has been suggested, and I agree: pay an agent and you're home free.

At this point unless you catch a tail-wind, try doing it yourself and you'll likely be home, literally, very soon,

• Like 2

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.

47 minutes ago, h.harris said:

I did mine 1 day before, but I think you can do it with them any day before the expiration date.

I have found in the past that they don't like doing it if you have more than about 4 days left. Even some agents will say I do when have 3-4 days left.

I did it myself for the first time in Dec.  It took 4, FOUR, visits on separate days to complete the process, with an average of two hours of line waiting per visit.

I will not do it again by myself.

I was staying in a nearby condo in Jomtien, so it was a short walk each way.  I shudder to think how pissed I would have been if I was in Pattaya!

Day 1.  3 hour line….  They reviewed my paperwork and decided my condo owner must also sign it.

Day 2. 2 hour line….  Paperwork ok, appointment scheduled for immigration officer in 2 days

Day 3 2 hour line…. Process paperwork, pay money, LEAVE PASSPORT, schedule pickup next day

Day 4 1 hour line….  Pick up passport.

Edit:  I had my Thai girlfriend with me every time so there was zero translation issues.

It’s my personal belief they make it so difficult to encourage you to pay for Visa services.  Somebody is getting kickbacks from visa companies.

A friend had his done in an immigration office in Issan.  It took 45 minutes.

Edited by Pabloypablo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I always try to extend my Tourist Visa well in advance like 7-10 days or so before it expires.

Some VISA service offices in Pattaya will only send agents to the Immigration once or twice a week when they have collected enough customers to make it worth going to Jomthien IM! 

If you do it yourself you must count on at least 2 days if you have all the papers filled out and in order, 

You queue up to leave all documents on first day and go back to pick up you passport next day.

If it is not busy and you get early when doors open, you might get lucky and can pick it up in the afternoon the same day, but don´t count on it!

When no money... she no give honey! 

Odd. The OP hasn't responded at all. I guess we are just talking to our selves. 

• 1 month later...

I hope I am not going off topic with the following question:

I am German passport holder, 40 years old and looking to stay this year around 200 days in Thailand. However never longer than 30 days as i have to travel quite a lot for work. Do I need to apply for a certain visa or is the the 30 days visa exemption program upon arrival enough?

Thanks already in advance for the reply

Entry into the kingdom is always at the discretion of the officer in front of you. If he or she think you are abusing a tourist visa to live in the kingdom, they can refuse entry. 

Have you considered the Elite visa? It sounds like that may be a good fit for what you want to do.

Options are limited for age under 50. Have a read through the visa section of addicts. 

On 06/02/2024 at 13:53, Thomaz73 said:

Absolutely agreed. I happily use an agent (vip visa) for anything immigration related. 

Absolutely this. Dealing with IOs in Pattaya and Bangkok is such an absolute chore. 

5 hours ago, Egon said:

I hope I am not going off topic with the following question:

I am German passport holder, 40 years old and looking to stay this year around 200 days in Thailand. However never longer than 30 days as i have to travel quite a lot for work. Do I need to apply for a certain visa or is the the 30 days visa exemption program upon arrival enough?

Thanks already in advance for the reply

You could start with a METV. That'll give you nearly 9 months. Elite, as mentioned above, could also be good if you're going to frequent Thailand over a longer period.