IGNORED

Areca Lodge or somewhere else

tobeornottobe

Ive booked Areca Lodge for 10 nights end of feb/ start of march . Its 50 a night and I made sure I got a room with shower . I am just wondering if there are better options available. My other considerations are

1. Amethyst( looks like its too expensive now)

2. De bua ( cheaper tha Areca)

3. Blackwoods (more modern than Areca)

4. Arbour hotel(prob the best hotel on the list but location isnt as good)

What type of better options are you looking for to help answer your question?

• Like 2

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

1.  Amethyst is much newer, nicer overall, better breakfast.  Areca is closer to LK, Tree Town, Central, etc (better location). 

2.  De Bua is newer, but the rooms are more spartan, and honestly I don't think it's as nice overall as Areca.  Not as well located as Areca.

3.  Blackwoods is similar to Amethyst quality wise.  Super fast wifi, awesome staff; the problem is the location at the top of Soi 7 isn't really very good for frequent trips to LK/Tree Town etc.

4. Arbour is indeed a nice hotel, but you're right the location is atrocious if you're looking to spend time where the action is.

For as much as I gripe about how bad the wifi is at Areca it is in fact one of my favorite places to stay at when I'm in town.  The location is absolutely perfect for most of what I tend to do in Pattaya.  It really comes down to the areas and eateries that you like to fequent; being able to walk to everything is really convenient. 

amethyst would be my first choice  but areca is a good all rounder can’t go wrong 

11 hours ago, tobeornottobe said:

Ive booked Areca Lodge for 10 nights end of feb/ start of march . It’s 50 a night and I made sure I got a room with shower

Do some of their rooms not have showers???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

For a cover is nice but the cover is not the book.

Debua and Amethyst are way better IMHO! Why not book a few nights at each place? Then you’ll know for next time. 

1 hour ago, wallywest said:

Until their recent refurbishment all the rooms in the Areca and Corona building only had showers over the baths. I am not sure about the Corona building, but they left one floor in the Areca building post refurbishment with baths over the showers as they have some clients who prefer a bath to a shower. So all have showers some are and were just located over a bath tub as opposed to a walk in shower!

29 minutes ago, kd_traveller said:

Until their recent refurbishment all the rooms in the Areca and Corona building only had showers over the baths. I am not sure about the Corona building, but they left one floor in the Areca building post refurbishment with baths over the showers as they have some clients who prefer a bath to a shower. So all have showers some are and were just located over a bath tub as opposed to a walk in shower!

Ok that makes more sense.i think it was just the way it was worded in the op haha.

Edited by wallywest

is there one central check-in reception at the Areca or does building have its own ? 

24 minutes ago, DanFrank said:

is there one central check-in reception at the Areca or does building have its own ? 

Yes they only have one check in reception lobby in use. It is in the front (Areca) building on Soi Diana.

You check in here for all three, Areca, Corona and the Evergreen buildings. 

They also have a lobby in the back Evergreen Building, but it has not been in use post covid. 

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"  Albert Einstein.

Cant really beat the location for Areca as a short walk to a lot of the action areas or to the Bhat bus routes.  As mentioned above there is also the back entrance to the Evergreen block from Soi 15.

Only downside i had from my stay there was the local mosquito population enjoyed my time by the pool more than i did.. but i do seem to attract them no matter where i am for some reason... 😆

14 hours ago, wallywest said:

Areca

Feb 2022. Stayed executive room, floor 4. Bathroom had shower over the bath. Room itself was spacious, good. Balcony small; had aircon unit blowing our hot air.

Feb-March 2023. Renovated room on floor 5. Walk-in shower. Better overall than the executive room of year before.

Both rooms were in the main building. Lift up from lobby/reception area.

• Like 3

FWIW I’m finding some decent prices for Blackwoods (for May when I’m visiting) but still sticking with my booking for Areca (for now at least)…Blackwoods looks like the type of hotel Id prefer and I can currently get it for a cheaper rate (than Areca)…but Areca wins out for me mainly due to location. Blackwoods is just slightly further away from areas I’d like to go to, whereas Areca is close enough to second road (and the baht bus route) while still being close enough to other  areas as well, that everything seems more easily accessible from there…but then I’m lazy.

Edited by wallywest

I've been visiting for 24 years and I've tried many a hotel.

The past few years I finally picked one and made it my base of operations.

I picked The Areca Lodge because of the location (I like Soi Metro)

Of course, it was @LeoTex and his recommendation that finally got me to stay there in 2022

Stayed at amethyst in November and it was amazing just booked there again for my trip in April