Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Keeping U.S. mobile carrier worth it as an expat in Thailand?

I've had my current Verizon mobile number almost 20 years now and want to keep it.  I have my current Samsung S23 using it, and also have a Google Pixel 7 Pro that is paid off and could be unlocked for use as my local Thai number.  My question is; is keeping my current provider for U.S. calls worth it if I make sure to keep the calls under 120 minutes per month.  Sending text doesn't cost anything. The pay as you go plan called Global Choice is only $10 per month for 120 minutes.  I've been reading up on Google Voice, and Google Fi  and porting my number to their service, but they are not really solid plans for using VOIP as Google will drop you if they think you are using outside of North America.  Plus its also the 2FA that worries me needing to authenticate with my bank accounts in America and trying to do so using VOIP.  I'm thinking if my budget allows it then just keep Verizon and not deal with this hassle.  Am I missing something and Verizon is going to tack on a huge service fee onto my account for living in Thailand.   Am I tacking on another expense I could easily avoid while I move and retire in Thailand?

If you can get a voice, sms plan for $10/mo, sounds like a win to me. 

I've been paying Google Fi $26/mo for the last 4 years living here in Thailand. The reason they don't drop me is because I turn off data and use plane mode when making Internet phone calls to the US. ie, the call goes via WiFi. My mom can't deal with video calls, so must use voice. 2FA sms has not been a problem using this method. 

It wouldn't have been worth it to me! I dropped AT&T right before moving here in 2018.

Sometimes I use my Thai number to call the States....maybe once a month to my credit union. Not expensive!

But mainly I use an app called 2nd Line to make calls to the US! You choose a US number... free calls and text to USA.

• Like 1

First, you can keep your phone number if you switch to another carrier.

Personally, I like the convenience of having a USA phone number.  Instant phone, text and data as soon as you land here.

When I traveled a lot for work and lived in Thailand between trips (how I miss those days!), I signed up for Consumer Cellular, because they had a $5/month no data paygo plan, which I used to "park" my USA phone number when not in the USA.  I was going to recommend it here, so I logged on to see if it was still $5, and discovered that they got rid of it, and all their plans have voice, text and at least 1GB of data.  Cheapest plan is $20/month.  So, not recommended, and I will look elsewhere when I move back to Thailand post-retirement.

$10/mo is good given Verizon's excellent USA coverage, so I'd probably keep that if you want to retain a USA phone number.  VOIP services like Google Voice and Skype depend on available wifi, which I personally wouldn't want to depend on if I had a problem.  YMMV, of course.

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

Maybe I missed something when I was prepping to live here regarding keeping my USA phone number. I went to Tmobile, Att, Verizon and explained I wanted a phone plan that would allow me to keep and use my number while living in Thailand.

I was told there were no plans to cover that. Also the process for connecting and using my number with Google voice was not as simple as I thought it would be, at least for mine because I was using smart talk (I think that's the name) from Walmart. 

So I just went with a new number from Google voice for free. Dont disconnect your current number until google voice is set up because they use your number to text you for set up.

I updated the pertinent accounts with the Google voice number, did many tests to ensure I was receiving texts and codes. So far so good for everything. I only use it on my laptop, never have set it up on my phone.

If you can get a carrier to accommodate you, I think its worth it, no worries about banking issues or etc... but I couldn't find any.

Edited by Nanaman

1 minute ago, Nanaman said:

If you can get a carrier to accommodate you, I think its worth it, no worries about banking issues or etc... but I couldn't find any.

I think the idea is not to tell them.

• Like 1

Working at getting laid in Pattaya is like working at drowning at the bottom of the ocean.  If you want to get the most out of Pattaya, take the chicks for granted, and enjoy life like you would on any other holiday.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Mangosteen said:

I think the idea is not to tell them.

But if you don't, how's that gonna work when your living here? I was thinking we needed an international set up for it to work. Does it still work for calls and texts if it's just the American service plan?

Just now, Nanaman said:

But if you don't, how's that gonna work when your living here?

Get a local SIM card and use that as your principle phone number when away.  Disable your USA SIM unless you're expecting a text, such as a OTP.  Make sure your carrier (and phone) supports VOIP calls (also called "Wifi calling" on the phone menus) if you want to use your USA number from abroad to appear as though you're calling from the US.  Have a US address for them to send mail to.

I lived in Thailand for 10 years and had a USA phone service that didn't even support international roaming.  Pulled their SIM card out of my phone when traveling.  Absolutely no problem.  Now back living in the US, still have the same carrier (Consumer Cellular) and had no problem during my most recent trip to Thailand.

I chose to drop my US carrier (Verizon @ $75 a month). I did get a Skype account in order to have a US phone number. I believe this currently costs $60 a year. There is a problem with Skype service in that one can not receive text messages with attachments. There is a Google option that some others seem to like better.

After a while I dropped my US credit cards as well (Chase and Citibank) as they could not handle a Skype number. I got an AMEX US card and I have had zero problems with them. I did have some admin problems with AMEX at startup. They did not care for my mail forwarding address. I spoke to them on the phone about it and that cleared things up. I basically said -> "hey I am a retiree. I live at multiple locations depending on the season. I need a drop and forward address."

Edited by ChiFlyer

There are numerous ways to accomplish this task, but each of us may have slightly different needs.

Although I reside in Thailand for approximately 8 and a half months each year, I require my USA cell number for business purposes all year round, particularly during the 3 and a half months when I am in the USA for business.

To accomplish this, I have linked my T-Mobile USA number to my internal eSIM.

Additionally, I have my True Thai number in the external SIM tray.

Since I frequently travel to Japan and Vietnam while in Thailand, I rely on my USA international capabilities for communication during those trips.

My question is more of a "vacation" one than an expat one, but can you use texting features without incurring all of the international charges by only connecting via WiFi? 

For example, I carry a work phone that I only use for one messaging app.  I keep it in Airplane mode and enable the WiFi to avoid the glut of spam calls that I am subjected to on a daily basis.

3 hours ago, Luv2Phuket said:

...can you use texting features without incurring all of the international charges by only connecting via WiFi? 

Well, I think that's part of the point of wifi calling, since your carrier doesn't have to bear the expense of the messages, but the best way to check this is, unfortunately, to try it.

If you’re moving here, before canceling any phone numbers in your home country, make sure any apps like banks or retirement funds that require two part verification have a way of getting the code to your phone here. I neglected to do so and last month I got locked out of my Bank of America account because they suspected fraud. They couldn’t verify online or by phone. It took two trips to their only branch and I’d say at least 20 calls/transfers to different representatives to get it sorted.
I now have a US Skype number linked to those type accounts.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill