IGNORED

New basic Thai Smartphone and sim

I am currently in Jomtien and do my internet stuff on my laptop. I'm looking for a basic Thai smartphone and sim package that will:

1) Allow cheap calls to UK, not actually done any so far on this trip but could be useful if needed

2) Phone calls to other Thai phones

3) Using Line id

4) ordering Bolt taxis

My UK smartphone is pay as you go and does not leave my condo until I go home.

Any suggestions regarding type of phone and sim package is appreciated, also any reputable suppliers that I should use who can set it up for me whilst I am there. As you may have guessed, I'm not very tech savvy with little hand-held thingies. TIA.

To use Bolt away from your condo wifi ..  be aware you need data enabled sim. Not a cheap phone calls only package.

Be careful as some data packages do not allow foreign calls. Very incovenient at times. My package has so many free local calls, no foreign calls, unlimited data. Costs me 6,000 baht a year.

I could not do without data now .. especially for watching You Tube to distract me when on a running machine in a gym. And for Bolt.

Its a minefield really ...so google the costs of packages or visit some phone company shops.

As for cheap calls to UK .. best to use I think 010 500 44 for cheap rate but google search "cheap international calls to UK from Thailand" will probably guide you and give you current cut price codes.

Be careful with LINE .. I dont think you can have computer and phone registered to same email address used on computer. Its one only. It deletes your old one. One must be registered to phone number the other to your email. ERRRRR i think. Just google research the subject.

LINE has no help desk so you can ferk up and have no LINE. like me briefly. Im no expert so do your own research.

Edited by Wingeing Pom

I'd suggest a visit to Central Festival for the phone shops and mobile providers.

The Chinese and Korean phone brands have fairly cheap models that would be plenty sufficient for most daily uses. If I remember correctly, Central Festival has a Xiaomi store.

If you don't already have a Thai SIM, the mobile providers have shops there too, so you could pop by to ask about a SIM/package that'd fit your needs.

• Like 3

For 1) why not use Skype? Don't think you'll find any sim with "cheap calls overseas". 

And another vote for Central. Bought my latest OPPO phone there. No complaints. Then off to a AIS/Dtac/True shop to get a sim. 

Edited by Thomaz73
Spelling
  • Like 3

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

44 minutes ago, Wingeing Pom said:

Be careful with LINE .. I dont think you can have computer and phone registered to same email address used on computer. Its one only. It deletes your old one. One must be registered to phone number the other to your email. ERRRRR i think. Just google research the subject.

I use the same LINE account simultaneously on phone and laptop. For a single account you can have one of each at the same time. The email address is the thru line to the laptop. You register the email address on your phone then you open the LINE desktop APP. Its simple and  I've nevr had an issue.

I use LINE, or VIBER, or GOOGLE VOICE for International calls FREE...its merely data usage.

Edited by AngelCty2Nit
  • Like 2

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.

16 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

For 1) why not use Skype? Don't think you'll find any sim with "cheap calls overseas". 

And another vote for Central. But my latest OPPO phone there. No complaints. Then off to a AIS/Dtac/True shop to get a sim. 

Thanks, I used Skype years ago but the calls were breaking up. Now that I have fibre it should be ok. Just have to see if my account is still valid.

1 minute ago, penboy said:

Thanks, I used Skype years ago but the calls were breaking up. Now that I have fibre it should be ok. Just have to see if my account is still valid.

I think Angel above might be on to something with google voice. Never tried it myself as I don't really do phone calls. Could be worth a look. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

23 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

I think Angel above might be on to something with google voice. Never tried it myself as I don't really do phone calls. Could be worth a look. 

I've reactivated my Skype account. I'll call someone in the UK in a couple of hours.

Edited by penboy

34 minutes ago, Thomaz73 said:

GOOGLE voice is nice because it gives you a phone number that others can call on text with traditional means. It presents itself as a regular telephone number so the other party doesn't have to have an app or anything.

The downside is that you have to establish it in the US, and while many of us have tried to set one up outside the US I don't know that a workaround has been found. 

For those moving here from the US I highly recommend you set up a Google Voice account before you leave.

I agree there are tons of options for handsets at Central. Plenty of choices at Big C as well if you happen to be a bit more 'out'

Edited by AngelCty2Nit

Re Skype and Google Voice  ... and LINE voice ... good suggestions ... they great suggestions but no good in some circumstances.

I need only to phone the UK when pension providers, or bank etc etc needed to be spoken to. They not on Skype etc..

My current package ferks me up sometimes and as the OP mentioned maybe phone UK sometimes, I suggested he should be wary of getting no foreign call package.

Edited by Wingeing Pom

1 minute ago, Wingeing Pom said:

Re Skype and Google Voice  ... and LINE voice ... good suggestions ... they great suggestions but no good in some circumstances.

I need only to phone the UK when pension providers, or bank etc etc needed to be spoken to. They not on Skype etc..

My current package ferks me up sometimes and as the OP mentioned maybe phone UK sometimes, I suggested he should be aware getting no foreign call package.

I thought Skype calls to UK phones is cheap but not free?

2 minutes ago, Wingeing Pom said:

I understand. This is where GOOGLE voice comes in very handy. 

It's unfortunate that its availability is so limited

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, penboy said:

Correct.  You can make phone calls from Skype to most countries for about 2 EuroCents/minute.  Peanuts.  You just load a few $ on your Skype account to pay for them.

1 hour ago, penboy said:

1 hour ago, pattayaplayer said:

Correct.  You can make phone calls from Skype to most countries for about 2 EuroCents/minute.  Peanuts.  You just load a few $ on your Skype account to pay for them.

I have Skype on my iPhone and the same number/ID on my computer.

From Australia I can phone line numbers in UK (relatives) very cheap.

Thailand GF has mobile, think it is 2-2.5 bahts a minute.

I can ring a Skype registered contact for as long as I like, no charge e.g using phone on Wifi.

I have auto top-up with Skype: when credit runs low, they debit my credit card and notify me.

I am not a techie so check what I say to follow up.

Edited by Bonkabit

Go to Tutkom and buy a cheap second hand phone maybe with dual sim capability, AIS get a One Sim package I top up 10bt a month in UK so keep my number, also can top up with 10gb/7days for 28bt when I'm in Thailand, never use it up as most hotels and bars have wifi now.

Skype was fine, 1.8p per minute. 

Baht bus to central festival in next couple of days. Samsung for around 4,000 should do the trick?

• 1 month later...
On 20/01/2024 at 05:48, Thomaz73 said:

Truemove international calls to landlines is still only 1.5 Baht a minute.....its only recently gone up from 1 baht where it was for at least 10 years

0060044.......prefix to UK

Edited by KyleReading