IGNORED

Best countries to get Thai visa in 2024?

Cara Cicatriz

Hey everybody, it's been a while. I was quite active here a decade ago, but I haven't been to Thailand since before the pandemic... what are currently the best countries to get good / long tourist visas?

Just for reference - back in the day, the Thai embassy in Laos gave a double entry (60+30 days x 2) without much hassle, and was everybody's go-to. Whereas the Thai embassy in Malaysia gave people a big headache and was to be avoided. And the best way to do it was in one's home country, I believe that was triple entry.

So basically my question is:

• What's the situation in 2024, what are the best and worst countries to get the visas?
  • Is there still a thread with an overview of all the countries? I think we used to have one, but can't find it.

(I'm in Brazil at the moment, so if anyone has experience with the Thai embassies here I'd be curious also).

Thanks,

Cara

Edited by Cara Cicatriz

Double entry doesn't exist anymore. Only single can be obtained outside your home country. One option could be the METV (multiple entry tourist visa.) That can facilitate almost 9 months of stay here with a few border bounces +/ extensions. But you would have to get that in your country of residence. 

I'm not up to speed on which embassies/consulates are more friendly these days. I would try the FB group known as "Thai visa advice." 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

3 hours ago, Cara Cicatriz said:

what are currently the best countries to get good / long tourist visas?

This question has me flummoxed.

It's my understanding that the visa stays are pretty straightforward, and tied directly to the passport you use coming in.

Ofc I could be completely out of touch with the specifics. 

If I remember, when I entered 2 years ago there were only two categories: countries that were trusted and countries that were less trustworthy. But again you didn't have any choice-- you just went with the requirements for your particular passport.

I will follow this thread with interest. Seems like there's an opportunity for me to have a learning experience.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.

47 minutes ago, AngelCty2Nit said:

question has me flummoxed

I think what he's referring to is obtaining new Thai tourist visas in countries other than that of residence. Many people do it. Perhaps less so than pre covid. I did it in several nearby countries for nearly four years. The most friendly back then was Vientiane. But I haven't followed news very much since going Elite. That's why I suggested the FB groups. Most active and up to date info. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I guess Im ignorant.

Or maybe as I'm on an American passport I'm privledged, I dont know. And I'm hardly a world traveler of any substance.

In my  mind, if I wanted to go to a country, I go to their website and get a VISA, if one is needed. It would hardly matter where I was at the time of the application.

If you wanted to get a VISA froma  different country than that of your residence, you would need to be physically in that country, right? So I would travel to a 3rd country, to get a visa for my destination country? Sounds like it would be far easier to use an agent, but again I'm in the dark here.

Obviously there are many more complications and nuances then I understood. But thts cool.

Thanks @Thomaz73for the reply. I'll keep an eye on the thread for updates...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, AngelCty2Nit said:

if I wanted to go to a country, I go to their website and get a VISA

Remember we're talking about tourist visas here. And it would apply equally to Americans looking to obtain one for Thailand. If you enter on a 60 day SETV stamp. Maybe get an extension of 30, you have to leave. How to get a new one? As mentioned nearby countries is an option. I'm from Denmark and wouldn't wanna travel back there. So I went to nearby countries to obtain new ones from embassies/consulates. That's the way to stay long time in Thailand on SETVs. 

Again, METV is a good option. But have to be obtained from country of residence. 

• Like 2

Thanks guys for the updates... you understood correctly, I was talking about Thai embassies in other countries, some of those used to be more easy-going than others. I'm pretty sure we had a list here, but yeah I can't find that anymore... if I find out something interesting I'll post again and share. Cheers!

2 hours ago, Cara Cicatriz said:

Thai embassies in other countries, some of those used to be more easy-going than others. I'm pretty sure we had a list here

Such a list would be pre covid and not useful. 

2 hours ago, Cara Cicatriz said:

if I find out something interesting I'll post again and share

Thanks 👍

• Like 1

Thanks @Thomaz73 for the explanation. I see now OP is talking about extending a stay beyond a 'normal' extension..I likely misread that post.

But now I'm (far more) clear on the situation.

Cheers

• 3 months later...

@Thomaz73 What do you mean when you say this? "METV is a good option. But have to be obtained from country of residence." Are you saying we have to go to a Embassy in our country to apply for this? Thank you.

16 minutes ago, ImmortalFreedom said:

@Thomaz73 What do you mean when you say this? "METV is a good option. But have to be obtained from country of residence." Are you saying we have to go to a Embassy in our country to apply for this? Thank you.

Yes, exactly. Many countries it's online now, though. 

• Like 1