Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How is BYD recognized and positioned by Thai?

Xfreak0000

Hi.

I am thinking of buying an EV car sometime next year and my consideration is New Tesla Model Y (Juniper project, if I can wait) or BYD Seal.

As far as I know, Tesla is positioned between german cars and Japanese cars, which means a little bit expensive and luxurious(?) car for Thai people.

BYD Seal (Performance is about 1.6MB) is a little bit cheaper than Tesla Model Y, but I don't know how it is recognized by Thai people.

Do you know how BYD is positioned?

Kind of the same as Tesla?

Or cheaper than Telsa? that means more or less the same as Japanese brands?

And, would you buy BYD seal in Thailand?

9 hours ago, Xfreak0000 said:

Hi.

I am thinking of buying an EV car sometime next year and my consideration is New Tesla Model Y (Juniper project, if I can wait) or BYD Seal.

As far as I know, Tesla is positioned between german cars and Japanese cars, which means a little bit expensive and luxurious(?) car for Thai people.

BYD Seal (Performance is about 1.6MB) is a little bit cheaper than Tesla Model Y, but I don't know how it is recognized by Thai people.

Do you know how BYD is positioned?

Kind of the same as Tesla?

Or cheaper than Telsa? that means more or less the same as Japanese brands?

And, would you buy BYD seal in Thailand?

Think presently BYD is the number 1 EV seller in Thailand. Looking myself to buy a NETA built in Thailand but will have to wait till Feb. Of interest there are 15 charge points in Central Festival and when I checked 5 were occupied by Beamer's and Benes, probable hybrid plugins.

19 minutes ago, jetdoc said:

Think presently BYD is the number 1 EV seller in Thailand. Looking myself to buy a NETA built in Thailand but will have to wait till Feb. Of interest there are 15 charge points in Central Festival and when I checked 5 were occupied by Beamer's and Benes, probable hybrid plugins.

Yes, BYD is no# 1 EV seller, but I wonder how Thai people recognize its name value especially for Seal.

I know NETA, but it is a little bit small for me since I need to be able to carry 3~4 golf bags.

In terms of charging, my main charging place would be in my condo, but surely number of paid charging points are important and for this I saw a news that Tesla was planning to install a lot of supercharger in Thailand, which I am not sure this plan has been actullay executed or not.

2 hours ago, Xfreak0000 said:

I know NETA, but it is a little bit small for me since I need to be able to carry 3~4 golf bags.

That also means 3-4 folks, saw a MG mini van on display at Central Udon, was big and loads of room. Thai people will be aware of BYD but favorability will depend on the person. For instance my wife doesn't like anything China and why I have to wait and probably pay more for one built in a Thai factory. Still be a China car but anything to make the little lady happy.

BYD in China had a very slow start, but was the forerunner of EV's in China.

They expanded very quickly with large overseas investors (Berkshire Hathaway being a major investor).

Initially supplied all EV taxis and buses (think in thousands of vehicles) in many China cities.

This gave them great exposure and they very quickly delivered a range of family vehicles (cannot list all models and names)

They currently outsell and produce more cars than Tesla, and in general their reputation is very high.

If I drive into Shenzhen, at least 2 in 5 cars are EV's and of that I would guesstimate that 50% are BYD.

If their reliability and brand exposure is mirrored in Thailand, personally, I believe they will quickly become the number one brand of EV's in Thailand.