Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Any insight on using multiple eSIM cards

Lefty6262

In a few months I will be in Thailand and I’m looking for any insight/helpful hints/lessons learned on using a dual eSIM card in an iPhone 15. The primary eSIM is from my home country (USA) and the second eSIM card would be a Thailand tourist eSIM card.

Previously, when I was in Thailand, I would simply place a Thailand SIM card in the SIM card tray of my iPhone. When I left Thailand, I would reinstall my USA SIM card in my iPhone. Very simply process and I never experienced any issues.

I now have an iPhone 15 with the capability for multiple eSIM cards. It sounds very easy but at times technology gets the best of me.  Is using multiple eSIM cards a simple process or are there other factors I should consider? Thanks for any information.

Just now, Lefty6262 said:

In a few months I will be in Thailand and I’m looking for any insight/helpful hints/lessons learned on using a dual eSIM card in an iPhone 15. The primary eSIM is from my home country (USA) and the second eSIM card would be a Thailand tourist eSIM card.

Previously, when I was in Thailand, I would simply place a Thailand SIM card in the SIM card tray of my iPhone. When I left Thailand, I would reinstall my USA SIM card in my iPhone. Very simply process and I never experienced any issues.

I now have an iPhone 15 with the capability for multiple eSIM cards. It sounds very easy but at times technology gets the best of me.  Is using multiple eSIM cards a simple process or are there other factors I should consider? Thanks for any information.

Not sure what this means as there are no cards involved with eSIM. 

Your iPhone can store up to 8 eSIMS and you can have any 2 active at a time.  Once installed, you can toggle them on and off at will for yourself.  

I keep my Verizon eSIM active as my primary voice line so calls/sms from home come through and use the local eSIM for data primarily, though I can toggle it on for local voice/sms as needed. 

It’s far easier than futzing with SIM cards and since I have a Thai eSIM which is keep topped up and use whenever I’m in Thailand, no more need to stop at a booth or web site for install … just turn it on as my plane lands and turn it off as my plane departs; never deleted so it’s there for my next trip. 

2 minutes ago, momo5 said:

Not sure what this means as there are no cards involved with eSIM. 

Your iPhone can store up to 8 eSIMS and you can have any 2 active at a time.  Once installed, you can toggle them on and off at will for yourself.  

I keep my Verizon eSIM active as my primary voice line so calls/sms from home come through and use the local eSIM for data primarily, though I can toggle it on for local voice/sms as needed. 

It’s far easier than futzing with SIM cards and since I have a Thai eSIM which is keep topped up and use whenever I’m in Thailand, no more need to stop at a booth or web site for install … just turn it on as my plane lands and turn it off as my plane departs; never deleted so it’s there for my next trip. 

Thanks for the info. I shouldn't have used the term "card" with eSIM. I recognize an eSIM is a digitial SIM and not an actual card. Sounds easy and I appreciate the insight. 

There was another thread from a few days ago where more info can be found.  It is pretty straightforward.

Cast in the name of God Ye not Guilty

I use my Google pixel dual sims all the time.

I'm pretty sure you cannot use two esims at the same time.  It has to be one esim and one physical sim.   This means I could get a text message from the US on my US ESim card.  But also use the data on my Thai physical sim simultaneously.

Of course you can get multiple esims and activate them one at a time.  But im sure these are for people with many businesses/phone numbers 

Only disadvantage is more battery usage.   So I usually keep my USA esim disabled and enable it a few times a day to check if I have any texts or calls I need to answer.   

Edited by HimBadMan

9 minutes ago, HimBadMan said:

I use my Google pixel dual sims all the time.

I'm pretty sure you cannot use two esims at the same time.  It has to be one esim and one physical sim.   This means I could get a text message from the US on my US ESim card.  But also use the data on my Thai physical sim simultaneously.

Of course you can get multiple esims and activate them one at a time.  But im sure these are for people with many businesses/phone numbers 

Only disadvantage is more battery usage.   So I usually keep my USA esim disabled and enable it a few times a day to check if I have any texts or calls I need to answer.   

No, you can use two eSIMS at the same time if your phone supports to eSIMS, such as the iPhone 15 the OP is talking about. 

Yes, older iPhones had 1 physical SIM slot and 1 eSIM, so only 1 eSIM could be used at a time. I think iPhone 13 was the last model made this way, though current iPhones in China still come with physical SIM trays.  Don’t know anything about non-iPhones.

34 minutes ago, momo5 said:

No, you can use two eSIMS at the same time if your phone supports to eSIMS, such as the iPhone 15 the OP is talking about. 

Yes, older iPhones had 1 physical SIM slot and 1 eSIM, so only 1 eSIM could be used at a time. I think iPhone 13 was the last model made this way, though current iPhones in China still come with physical SIM trays.  Don’t know anything about non-iPhones.

Fact Checked .     Good info thanks!!  Didn't realize this 

On 21/12/2023 at 18:18, HimBadMan said:

Thanks for this information. I hadn't consider battery usage but it's a good tip to keep in mind. Thanks.

On 21/12/2023 at 18:15, Moogleflakes said:

There was another thread from a few days ago where more info can be found.  It is pretty straightforward.

Great. I'll read the thread. I appreciate you pointing me to more information. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1