IGNORED

Scooters with GPS Navigation?

Mr Unix

Hi folks!

I'll be back in a week. Usually I'm renting a bigger scooter for my trip. This time I've made some tour plans and I found that a GPS navigation device could be actually useful.

I doubt that you can rent them together with a scooter, but if this is possible let me know, please.

I've got no problems riding a smaller bike with GPS. Anybody know good places where I could rent such a combination?

Cheers

Unix

Hi folks!

I'll be back in a week. Usually I'm renting a bigger scooter for my trip. This time I've made some tour plans and I found that a GPS navigation device could be actually useful.

I doubt that you can rent them together with a scooter, but if this is possible let me know, please.

I've got no problems riding a smaller bike with GPS. Anybody know good places where I could rent such a combination?

Cheers

Unix

I bring my own Garmin handheld GPS with the relevent Thailands mapset. It works a treat. Sorry I do not know where you could rent such a combination.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

Bring you own GPS. Don't you have a PDA or Pocket PC or even a phone that is GPS ready?

getting lost is half the fun :D

Pattaya itself isnt hard to navigate , if your travelling around thailand a GPS could be handy

You need to bring your own Garmin GPS with the Thailand chip.

ElCubanito's Diary Volume 1Trip Report Archives PART 1 - 22.NEW NUMBER! Coming soon! Pattaya May 25 - December 2010. 6 months Biatch!!! Lb hunting, Foursomes, MMF, Soi 6 Crawls.....lets do it!

Mh.. Seems like I should get myself one of those portable Garmin GPS devices. Do you guys know how detailed their thailand maps are?

Mh.. Seems like I should get myself one of those portable Garmin GPS devices. Do you guys know how detailed their thailand maps are?

The Garmin Thailand map is very detailed and works great. if you get a garmin GPS unit then PM me and I might be able to point you in the right direction for the Thailand software.

ความจริงเป็นสิ่งที่ไม่ตายแต่คนพูดความจริงอาจจะตาย                 

The truth is immortal but people who speak it aren't - Thai proverb

Karl's Thailand - My YouTube Channel

The GPS software works very well....all small Sois and dirt trails are included.

ElCubanito's Diary Volume 1Trip Report Archives PART 1 - 22.NEW NUMBER! Coming soon! Pattaya May 25 - December 2010. 6 months Biatch!!! Lb hunting, Foursomes, MMF, Soi 6 Crawls.....lets do it!

Thanks for the help guys. :ILuvSex1:

While the GPS maps ARE detailed they have a limitation - a LOT of streets and even main roads do not have names and hence are not named on the software.

Its great to go from main point A to main point B though.

You can get a good idea of how well the GPS maps work for Thailand by going to Google Earth, then selecting . . . .

VIEW SIDE BAR LAYERS DOARS and ticking Roads.

Then go find Pattaya city and zoom in nice and tight on say central Pattaya and you will see that most streets are marked- but not many are named.

It is better to light even one candle than to live in fear of the dark.

• 1 month later...

my cell got GPS, I just need a software...can anyone reommend me a good GPS software for my cell? (mobile window) thanks a lot

my cell got GPS, I just need a software...can anyone reommend me a good GPS software for my cell? (mobile window) thanks a lot

Just a wee note about using your mobile / cell phone GPS:

Have you checked with your network provider how much international roaming would be?

I used my iPhone in Ireland (which is labelled "International" for UK mainland O2 mobile phone users) and received ONE email with a word document attachment. How much was I charged ====>>>> £110 (yes, one hundred and fucking ten pounds !) - That was the exact wording on my phone bill !

So receiving live GPS maps via International Roaming will not be cheap I would imagine.

Just a wee note about using your mobile / cell phone GPS:

Have you checked with your network provider how much international roaming would be?

I used my iPhone in Ireland (which is labelled "International" for UK mainland O2 mobile phone users) and received ONE email with a word document attachment. How much was I charged ====>>>> £110 (yes, one hundred and fucking ten pounds !) - That was the exact wording on my phone bill !

So receiving live GPS maps via International Roaming will not be cheap I would imagine.

Good advice, but for the iphone itself, why not just use a thai sim card. not free but not hugely expensive. also i have mine set for manual downloading and only really do it in the room (where there's wifi) unless I am expecting something important.

Unless you need to answer the phone yourself when someone calls your us number, not really need a non-thai sim, do you?

and anyway, more convenient to have a thai #. I personally think the iphone is great for here (e.g., snap a girls photo with her contact info so esy to remember her) so have one rather than a cheaper mobile.

The Garmin Thailand map is very detailed and works great. if you get a garmin GPS unit then PM me and I might be able to point you in the right direction for the Thailand software.

empty your pm box it is full

• 3 years later...

Will buying a Garmin brand GPS from Power Buy, or another outlet, mean that i don't have to download any thaimap software or buy anything else?? shouldn't the thai mapping feature come included in my purchase??

i have no GPS phone, no PDA or GPS mobile device, and my biggest problem with Pattaya, is going around in too many circles all the time...

if I was going to shell out the 3,000 baht to buy one of these things, i'd want it to be abe to be quick-action mounted and de-mounted, (LOL starting to sound like a tuesday BG now...) and I'd want to be able to take it back home with me and then just bring it back again for my next trip, all that time working flawlessly...

Any comments or answers will be appreciated boys!!

Cheers!!!!

Yes, any GPS/Navigation system you buy here in Thailand will be loaded with local maps already.  :)

My TomTom has an option to download a Thailand map, but is not one 'recommended' by TomTom themselves, so not sure how detailed/ accurate it would be.

Archived