IGNORED

Doxy Prep?

Fred Basset

Curious if anyone has used Doxy Prep (Doxycycline)  to minimise the odds of getting an STI? 

It can be taken up to 72 hours after a sexual exposure, 200 mg, or as a continual prep 100mg daily.

The studies done on Doxy Prep appear to only have focused on the gay community, so wonder if it will also minimise STI chance for hetro people?

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2023/02/424861/doxycycline-sti-prevention-highly-effective-minimal-drug-resistance

https://www.thebodypro.com/article/doxypep-stis-prophylactic-doxycycline-msm-hiv-prep

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I tried it on my last trip and I ended up catching some type of nasty NGU that took 4 different types of antibiotics to clear. The funny thing is that I've always relied on the old rinse your dick in listerine method and have never caught anything this bad. FWIW my experience is entirely anectdotal and I bag up for everything but BBBJ. 

• Confused 1

• 3 months later...
On 23/12/2023 at 14:18, allwet said:

I tried it on my last trip and I ended up catching some type of nasty NGU that took 4 different types of antibiotics to clear. The funny thing is that I've always relied on the old rinse your dick in listerine method and have never caught anything this bad. FWIW my experience is entirely anectdotal and I bag up for everything but BBBJ. 

I imagine rinsing with listerine isn't exactly pleasant

• Haha 1

I've been on this for the last 5 months at the recommendation of my doctor.  Haven't caught anything yet but I'm also not trying to bang everything that moves indiscriminately (not saying you are).  I take it every other day if I'm banging every day for a period of time; also doctor's recommendation.

On 13/04/2024 at 13:37, thaikhan said:

I've been on this for the last 5 months at the recommendation of my doctor.  Haven't caught anything yet but I'm also not trying to bang everything that moves indiscriminately (not saying you are).  I take it every other day if I'm banging every day for a period of time; also doctor's recommendation.

Do you take the 100mg or the 200mg every other day?  Also are you consuming any alcohol.  Am just trying to figure out the best approach.

I take 200mg every other day; That was what my doctor recommended for me.  I do consume alcohol at times but not much.  I rarely drink to even get buzz while I'm outside of my home country.  However, I am Shrek figured so I can tolerate more alcohol due to my size.  So far I've not had any issues but I also don't try to bang anyone raw the first visit and only with girls I think are clean.  I usually avoid raw dogging professional girls who don't seem to be too up on or concerned about their sexual health.

People self prescribing doxycycline should be aware that it makes the user quite sensitive to sunlight which isn't that great a thing in a tropical country.

• Like 5

Given the diversity of sexually transmitted infections you may be taking something that has zero effect.

Taking lots of pills can't be a good thing...

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, LRanger said:

Given the diversity of sexually transmitted infections you may be taking something that has zero effect.

Screenshot_2024-04-16-15-36-19-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.976dcc901184422460502b8cc469c91d.jpg

Chlamydia. Gonorrhea. Syphilis.  

That is pretty diverse in my book.

Everything you do is risk vs. reward.  Doxy prophylaxis is no different.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 27/11/2023 at 12:26, Fred Basset said:

Curious if anyone has used Doxy Prep (Doxycycline)  to minimise the odds of getting an STI? 

It can be taken up to 72 hours after a sexual exposure, 200 mg, or as a continual prep 100mg daily.

The studies done on Doxy Prep appear to only have focused on the gay community, so wonder if it will also minimise STI chance for hetro people?

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2023/02/424861/doxycycline-sti-prevention-highly-effective-minimal-drug-resistance

https://www.thebodypro.com/article/doxypep-stis-prophylactic-doxycycline-msm-hiv-prep

I read the artikel you posted:

Right now I would give it a try.

To summarize:

- Participants had a history of recurrent STIs and condomless sex (like a lot of Pattaya visitors 😉)
- Found highly effective in reducing bacterial STIs (gonorrhea, chlamydia, syphilis) by two-thirds each quarter.
- Antibiotic Resistance: 
    Preliminary results suggest a limited rise in resistant strains of bacteria.
    Aimed at reducing repeated STIs that lead to recurrent antibiotic use.
- Researcher Statements: 
    Encouraged by the potential of doxy-PEP to reduce STIs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I would highly recommend it if your doctor does as well; Every drug has a side effect.  I do what I can safely do to minimize my chances of catching an STI.  There's no way of eliminating your risk but you can minimalize it.  I love cavorting with women but I also try to mitigate my risk, even if I choose to be all wrapped up at times.  I take PrEP, have my hep B vaccines, my HSV vaccine, and my monkeypox vaccine.  All vaccines against STIs.  I also take Doxypep as needed.  I work with my doctor to make sure I'm as protected as I can be since I have tons of different partners who also have tons of different partners.

On 16/04/2024 at 14:42, travelling_man said:

Screenshot_2024-04-16-15-36-19-84_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.976dcc901184422460502b8cc469c91d.jpg

Chlamydia. Gonorrhea. Syphilis.  

That is pretty diverse in my book.

Everything you do is risk vs. reward.  Doxy prophylaxis is no different.  

To the OP, yes just last week. Had a condom break with a farm fresh lady and just to be cautious bought and used doxy for 10 days. Although tempted to do the morning-after single dosage, with respect to possible antibiotic resistance decided to do the full regiment.

image.png.252ff5ab93dcacf3f4ca721886719c1f.png

Can it be acquired over the counter of a baukhao  pharmacy, and at what cost?

OR 

Would it be  better just ordering from Green Cross along with my supply of PreP and have it delivered,prior to travel.?

Edited by Baddave

2 hours ago, Baddave said:

Can it be acquired over the counter of a baukhao  pharmacy, and at what cost?

OR 

Would it be  better just ordering from Green Cross along with my supply of PreP and have it delivered,prior to travel.?

Cheap as chips 40-50 baht strip of 10

I think it might screen some STIs but it had zero effect on mycoplasma genitalium. Herpes? 

"Reduce" the chance.

Ill give it a whirl next trip. Lets see.

Most folks who use Doxy as a part of "Doxy Prep" are also taking PreP for HIV. Source: a dude living in the San Francisco Bay Area.  I'm not taking Doxycycline, but I started taking Descovy on 18 April in anticipation of my return to Pattaya on 7 May. Taking Doxycycline would not go well for me on a long-term basis, as it's quite hard on my system and I get skin rashes from lots of antibiotics. There are many folks who have reactions or allergies to tetracyclines, including Doxy. If I get any parasite or bacteria, I'll deal with it as needed and not ruin myself in the interim.