IGNORED

Hockey player arrested for manslaughter.

Hello

Not sure if this is big news in the uk but I've played hockey since I was 5 and knew immediately this was despicable and intentional. Petgrave is from Toronto. He'll have to spend a boatload on lawyers fees, possible jail time, plus hopefully wrongful death if the uk has those type of law suits.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2023/11/14/man-arrested-on-suspicion-of-manslaughter-after-probe-into-adam-johnsons-death/

• Sad 1

Manslaughter I imagine. I’m sure he didn’t mean to actually kill the guy, but that action was certainly deliberate. With actual blades on your boots, it was a horrendous thing to do and I hope he gets what is coming to him.

• Like 1

Yes it is big news in the UK. Sheffield Steelers is my local team. Saw the tragic incident the day after on twitter. Not sure if its been removed now as it was horrific viewing. Matt Petgrave had a reputation for being a tough guy and leader in penalties. I'm sure he would not have wanted this end result. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Like 1

It's good they're investigating this. Watching slow motion replays of the incident Petgrave may have been going for a block of Johnson with his leg, but can't see how the tragic outcome could be labeled as intentional.

While rare, incidents of neck lacerations have happened in the past.

https://www.startribune.com/hockey-neck-guards-adam-johnson-death-nhl-ncaa-minnesota-duluth-pittsburgh-penguins/600316866/

History of incidents

It isn't known how many players suffer skate cuts each year. In a 2009 study of USA Hockey registered players, 1.8% reported having a neck laceration.

There have been other high-profile incidents, including serious injuries to NHL goaltender Clint Malarchuk and forward Richard Zedník. Army forward Eric Huss suffered a severe neck cut in a college game last January. Former St. Cloud State defenseman Will Borgen of Moorhead was slashed on the neck in 2014, and Holy Family defenseman Michael Spinner of Prior Lake required surgery in 2017 when a blade slit his jugular vein.

Minnesota Duluth coach Scott Sandelin, a member of the NCAA men's ice hockey committee, hopes college hockey will resume its discussion of neck guards.

"We play a game. There's risk," said Sandelin, who coached Johnson for two seasons. "But if we can mitigate that in some way, I think it does need to be looked at."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, forcebwithu said:

It's good they're investigating this. Watching slow motion replays of the incident Petgrave may have been going for a block of Johnson with his leg, but can't see how the tragic outcome could be labeled as intentional.

Manslaughter doesn’t have to be intentional.  Murder is intentional, manslaughter is death resulting from reckless behaviour by some-one who should know the potential consequences of their actions.  I’m not a lawyer but I’m sure there are some Canadian or UK legal beagles on here who could give a more precise explanation or manslaughter.

2 hours ago, Rambuttri village said:

Yes it is big news in the UK. Sheffield Steelers is my local team. Saw the tragic incident the day after on twitter. Not sure if its been removed now as it was horrific viewing. Matt Petgrave had a reputation for being a tough guy and leader in penalties. I'm sure he would not have wanted this end result. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Petgrave is a coward, he's considered a tough guy because he can get away with this type of behavior in that league. His penalty minutes in the north American leagues were fairly low as other players would have pounded his face in. 

I saw a bit of this in the papers and on Twitter (or X as it now is).

Most observers seem to conclude that he (Petgrave) was trying to trip / block him (Johnson) but (obviously) wasn’t trying to kill him.

There haven’t been that many prosecutions for sports incidents in the UK - I can remember a (private) prosecution for David Bishop who was a famously dirty Pontypool scrum half.  He punched a Newbridge second row in the face when he was trapped in a ruck, breaking his jaw.  It was about 40 years ago.

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1986-09-03-sp-13052-story.html

I seem to remember that there is defence of “manly sports” in such cases but I can’t imagine that it would stretch to a case of manslaughter.

The thing that really shocked me though was that Petgrave got a standing ovation at his next home game -wtaf??!!

https://amp.marca.com/en/nhl/2023/11/14/65539822e2704e1e888b45a1.html

RIP Adam Johnson

It's an intentionally unintentional, it's common in hockey where certain players like petgrave will try to make it look unintentional. The fact that he kicked him is appalling in and of itself. Kicking is an absolutely despicable play. It's not something that we were even taught not to do, you just knew not to do it 

Do they have civil wrongful death type litigation in the uk after this trial?

I am from Adam’s hometown here in Minnesota. It obviously is major news here. I was at the University of Minnesota watching the gophers  practice and probably about 70% of the players were wearing neck guards. 

7 hours ago, Hello said:

It's an intentionally unintentional, it's common in hockey where certain players like petgrave will try to make it look unintentional. The fact that he kicked him is appalling in and of itself. Kicking is an absolutely despicable play. It's not something that we were even taught not to do, you just knew not to do it 

Do they have civil wrongful death type litigation in the uk after this trial?

No, it is the criminal justice system only. And whilst his action was intentional, you would think it would be hard to prove that in a court of law.

On 15/11/2023 at 08:44, Herbby said:

Manslaughter I imagine. I’m sure he didn’t mean to actually kill the guy, but that action was certainly deliberate. With actual blades on your boots, it was a horrendous thing to do and I hope he gets what is coming to him.

Shouldn't the governing ice hockey association in the UK be charged as well as they should have made neck guards mandatory? 

Ding Ding ...... Please remember to like and subscribe.

58 minutes ago, mmaaarrrkkk said:

Shouldn't the governing ice hockey association in the UK be charged as well as they should have made neck guards mandatory? 

Dunno.