IGNORED

Tourism authorities eye 60-day visa exemption for Europeans

Leo_Bia

Posted already, can not see a thread?

https://www.nationthailand.com/thailand/tourism/40032823
Tourism authorities eye 60-day visa exemption for Europeans
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 14, 2023

The Tourism and Sports Ministry is planning to propose to the Cabinet that the visa exemption period for visitors from over 50 countries be extended from 30 days to 60 days.
The measure would help further boost the tourism industry on top of the visa-free policy currently granted to visitors from China and Kazakhstan for five months, or until February 2024, minister Sudawan Wangsuphakijkosol said on Monday.

In the first phase, the extension will cover mainly countries in and around Europe such as the UK, Germany, Scandinavian nations, and the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS), which include Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan.

“The visa-free policy has provided unprecedented opportunity for Thailand to attract foreign tourists,” she said. “The ministry together with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) are discussing plans to extend the visa waiver period to European countries, from where most high- spending visitors come, in a bid to motivate them to stay in Thailand longer."

Sudawan added that European visitors make up about 20% of foreign tourists and are the second largest group after visitors from Asia. Last year the average stay period among Europeans was 18.55 nights per person with average spending of 66,000 baht per trip.

“This year, the spending among European visitors shows a rising trend to around 80,000 baht per trip,” she said.

The TAT has set a target revenue from foreign visitors at 2.5 billion baht in 2024, while Thai tourists will contribute another 1 trillion baht to the industry, making up a total 3.5 trillion baht of tourism revenue next year.

“We aim to further increase revenue from foreign visitors in 2025 to 3 trillion baht,” said Sudawan. “This is achievable as the airline industry worldwide is expected to have fully recovered by mid-2024, restoring flights from European countries to Thailand.”

Earlier this month, Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) reopened the Copenhagen-Bangkok route after a 10-year hiatus, revitalising Thailand’s hopes of penetrating the long-haul tourism market from Scandinavia.

That would be cool. I could save 1900 Baht and the time to go to immigration 🤣

Not seen this reported anywhere else, so maybe just clickbait.

Surely making the Tourist Visa obsolete is a stumbling block?

I would absolutely love this. I haven't stayed in Thailand for that long yet, but it would give me the chance to basically spend my entire summer in Thailand in the future. Just have to watch my budget for a lot of those days.

1 hour ago, Leo_Bia said:

Got agree, not seen this anywhere "normally reported", I don't think it makes the "Tourist Visa" obsolete it already has been extended for certain countries to 60 days and judging by my experience at Jomtien immigration they are under pressure, it almost seems that a large part of the world wants to move here?

Got it ... So Chinese, Russian, Indian and Europeans all outspend American !!!! Why I am in such a poor country 555....

13 minutes ago, h.harris said:

Got it ... So Chinese, Russian, Indian and Europeans all outspend American !!!! Why I am in such a poor country 555....

555, trouble is your country is rich, you don't need help the rest have stopped spending like they were.

2 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

Just popped up on TPN so maybe a possibility?

I wish they add my country to Visa exemption, so I don't have to submit eVisas and waste my time planning around that.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2688108/govt-mulls-90-day-visas-for-european-visitors

Govt mulls 90-day visas for European visitors
PUBLISHED : 19 NOV 2023

Thailand may waive visa requirements for travellers from more European countries and is lining up hundreds of cultural and sporting events as it works to induce holidaymakers to stay longer and spend more, the government has said.

The government is discussing a plan to let tourists of some European nationalities stay as long as 90 days, Prommin Lertsuridej, a top aide to Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin, said in an interview Thursday. There will also be about 3,000 events like music concerts, marathons and other cultural festivities organised through to next year to draw tourists, he said.

Mr Srettha, who became prime minister in August, has identified tourism as a “quick win” to accelerate Thailand’s economic growth. His administration has temporarily waived visa requirements for travellers from Russia, China, Kazakhstan, India and Taiwan, and ordered airlines to add more routes while streamlining airport operations to cut waiting time for visitors. It also plans to allow nightlife entertainment venues in some areas of Bangkok, Phuket, Chiang Mai and Chonburi to operate until 4am starting next month.

While Thailand has rolled back most pandemic-era curbs on visitors, average spending per traveller has lagged pre-Covid levels and missed official estimates. 

In 2019, the country saw record foreign arrivals — almost 40 million — which generated 1.91 trillion baht in revenue. That year, each tourist spent an average of 47,895 baht per trip which lasted nine days on average, according to official data. As of Nov 12 this year, Thailand has welcomed 23.2 million foreign tourists and received 981.7 billion baht in foreign tourist receipts. That means it is currently tracking about 12% below the 2019 per-trip spending benchmark.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand has set a goal to raise foreign tourism revenue back to pre-Covid levels, targeting at least 2 trillion baht ($57 billion) in 2024.

Mr Srettha last week announced the “Winter Festival” celebrations that will include the Loi Krathong festival, Bangkok Marathon and New Year. The event is designed to showcase Thailand’s unique culture and attract tourists during the high season between November and January.

“We will design more attractions and promotions to incentivize tourists to stay longer,” Mr Prommin, who is secretary-general to the premier, said.  “Longer stay, more events to attract them, more fun on the nightlife scene. This is how we’re planning for tourists to spend more.”

• Like 3

It would be nice if they could "mull" a little faster and get the news out inside of the next two weeks. Otherwise I will have to get a Tourist Visa.

I hope they will give this only to Europeans , not to Russian, Indian and so on

I MADE IN FRANCE I

1 hour ago, Frenchguy99 said:

I hope they will give this only to Europeans , not to Russian, Indian and so on

Russians were already awarded a 90 day stay visa free I believe, Indians also recently awarded 30 day without visa. 

19 hours ago, mwebster2 said:

Russians were already awarded a 90 day stay visa free I believe, Indians also recently awarded 30 day without visa. 

Wtf 😅

I MADE IN FRANCE I

Without “ quality tourist “ not sure how they will make it in long term.

so many emerging country base their marketing and wealthy tourist competition is tuff

I MADE IN FRANCE I

There’s a big element of political trickle announcements in all of this.  All these visa extensions or visa exemptions could have been announced at once.  None of it is rocket science.  Instead the government announces one half measure at a time over many months because it thinks it gets favourable publicity and wins kudos from the tourism industry each time.

Surely this helps our case?

Shares of Airports of Thailand (AOT), Asia Aviation (AAV), Central Plaza hotel (CENTEL), and Erawan Group (ERW) all dropped during the morning trading session following reports that 10 Chinese airlines have canceled flights between China and Thailand.

AOT lost 3.2%, AAV lost 2.45%, CENTEL lost 4.09%, and ERW lost 3.74%.

The airlines that canceled their flights include Air China, China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines, Spring Airlines, China Southern, Shenzhen Airlines, Juneyao Airlines, Okay Airways, Hainan Airlines, and Beijing Capital.

The cancellations were due to lower-than-expected demand. The number of flights from these airlines at 6 major airports will drop by 46% in December and 32% in January.

Last week, the Tourism Authority of Thailand lowered its forecast for Chinese visitors in 2023 to 3.4-3.5 million from 4.04-4.4 million people. The reduced projection came after only 3 million Chinese visitors traveled to Thailand from January until now, falling below the government's target.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/general/2733275/tat-calls-for-extended-tourist-visas

TAT calls for extended tourist visas
90-day stays for Russians proving popular, and more long-haul countries should be added

PUBLISHED : 30 JAN 2024
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is asking the government to extend the visa-free stay duration for long-haul tourists, including those from the United States and Europe, to 90 days, aiming to lift long-haul revenue to 40% of the country’s total in 2024.

Longer-duration visas would help increase average length of stay and maximise spending per trip, said Siripakorn Cheawsamoot, the TAT deputy governor for Europe, Africa, the Middle East and the Americas.

Thailand currently offers tourist visas on arrival to nationals of more than 60 countries, including the US, the UK, Germany, France and Scandinavian nations. Most are eligible to stay for 30 days before they must apply for a visa.

Mr Siripakorn said the extended visa had proved successful with Russian tourists, for whom the government temporarily granted 90-day stays last November.

Last year more than 100,000 foreign tourists applied for a visa that allowed them to stay in Thailand for 60 days, he said. A majority were from the US, the UK, Sweden and Germany.

“Extending stays should add at least a million room nights nationwide,” he said.

for any needing a visa whos a uk passport holder u can apply online.ive applied on friday night for a 60day one as i got a 36 day trip booke.applied online took about hour to sort all files out to upload and pay the £30 fee.reading it said it take 5 to 10 day to be processed.

on the monday evening i got a email with a confirmation that visa had been approved and documents where attached.which i was very surprised at but well chuffed with.so if u need to apply for one i would recommend it to all.

https://www.thaievisa.go.th/