IGNORED

Jumping countries to extend Thailand Trip .

stuart99057

Thinking of going to thailand for 30 days , jumping over to  Vietnam for a change for 2 or 3 weeks then  staying another month in Thailand .

Will I have any issues  getting onboard the uk flight  or any  issues  at Thai Immigration ? 

This saves me the hassle of visa,s and I want to see Vietnan or cambodia also . Has anybody done this ?   

Thank you Addicts . 

Very unlikely to have any issues at Thai Immigration.

Where you ‘might’ have a problem is at check-in in the U.K. They could ask for proof that you are leaving Thailand within 30 days. They often do, they sometimes don’t.

If you have onward travel to Vietnam booked then that will meet the requirements.

• Like 3

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

27 minutes ago, davidge said:

Where you ‘might’ have a problem is at check-in in the U.K. They could ask for proof that you are leaving Thailand within 30 days. They often do, they sometimes don’t.

If you have onward travel to Vietnam booked then that will meet the requirements.

Yeah I thought boarding the plane might be an issue hence my question . Would love to hear from anybody who,s done this to  avoid the hassles of visa ,s  and to get to see another country ?  .  Flights to cambodia and vietnam are only £100  ish  so  it's well worth it to see another country and extend your stay in the far east.

Thanks Davidge

6 minutes ago, stuart99057 said:

Yeah I thought boarding the plane might be an issue hence my question . Would love to hear from anybody who,s done this to  avoid the hassles of visa ,s  and to get to see another country ?  .  Flights to cambodia and vietnam are only £100  ish  so  it's well worth it to see another country and extend your stay in the far east.

Thanks Davidge

Hundreds of people do this every day. What is it you want to know? You get on a plane to Vietnam, stay for 2 weeks and come back.

2 hours ago, stuart99057 said:

Thanks Davidge

You can get an onwards disposable or fake ticket.  

Once in Thailand you can extend your stay by 30 days. So you would not need to leave unless you really wanted to. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/10/2023 at 12:55, stuart99057 said:

Thinking of going to thailand for 30 days , jumping over to  Vietnam for a change for 2 or 3 weeks then  staying another month in Thailand .

Will I have any issues  getting onboard the uk flight  or any  issues  at Thai Immigration ? 

This saves me the hassle of visa,s and I want to see Vietnan or cambodia also . Has anybody done this ?   

Thank you Addicts . 

On 29/10/2023 at 13:39, Gonetothedogs said:

Hundreds of people do this every day. What is it you want to know? You get on a plane to Vietnam, stay for 2 weeks and come back.

He wants to know if he'll "have any issues  getting onboard the uk flight  or any  issues  at Thai Immigration ?"

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

15 hours ago, sulu said:

He wants to know if he'll "have any issues  getting onboard the uk flight  or any  issues  at Thai Immigration ?"

On 29/10/2023 at 17:00, davidge said:

As davidge said, no problem. I did this a few yeas ago. Checked in at London Heathrow with a return flight due in 60 days and produced my ticket to HCMC departing on day 28. One week in Vietnam and back to BKK for another visa exempt entry.

9 hours ago, bangna said:

As davidge said, no problem. I did this a few yeas ago. Checked in at London Heathrow with a return flight due in 60 days and produced my ticket to HCMC departing on day 28. One week in Vietnam and back to BKK for another visa exempt entry.

Understood. I've done it myself, but then again,,,,,,,,,,,, TiT

I've gone to Patts (from the U.S.) 4 times for more than 2 months, 2015, 2016, 2018, 2020. On none of these trips (2 Qatar, 1 United, 1 Etihad), upon checking in for the outgoing flight, do I recall being asked about my return flight being after the expiration of my Thai visa.

Nor do I recall, at Thai Immigration upon entering, any questions about leaving Thailand before the end of my (initial) visa.

I plan on flying to Patts in January for 3 months, and am trying to decide whether or not to even get a visa this time.  Visa exempt for 30 days, extend 30 to a total of 60, then perhaps fly to Bali for a vacation from my vacation, and come back in visa exempt.

Of course, getting the 2-month visa and extending to 90 days would be cheaper and easier but either way, the same issues at departure and entry could be come up. image.png.3bb2e9e9da2425f06dc2771b00950962.png

• Like 1

Earlier in the year extended my Visa for 30 days in Hua Hin, then later a border run from Chiang Mai up to Mai Sai/Tachileik. Once that 30 days was about to expire I extended again in Jomtien. I'll be back in Thailand in a few weeks, after being gone for four and a half months, and have a onward ticket to Cambodia I probably won't use and extend at least once if they let me. I don't expect to have any issues since it'll be a new calendar year. In the last 6 years I've never been asked for a onward bus or plane ticket, but go ahead and get one just in case. 

Judging by the last two posts, there could be differences according to departure country. In the UK, I have been asked almost every time if I have a visa or onward ticket. This has been when flying Etihad, Oman and EVA.

YMMV.

Edited by bangna

On 26/11/2023 at 21:14, 1Tarzan said:

Earlier in the year extended my Visa for 30 days in Hua Hin, then later a border run from Chiang Mai up to Mai Sai/Tachileik. Once that 30 days was about to expire I extended again in Jomtien. I'll be back in Thailand in a few weeks, after being gone for four and a half months, and have a onward ticket to Cambodia I probably won't use and extend at least once if they let me. I don't expect to have any issues since it'll be a new calendar year. In the last 6 years I've never been asked for a onward bus or plane ticket, but go ahead and get one just in case. 

Thanks.

You know, on one of my early trips I did a border run to Cambodia from Pattaya.

I can't for the life of me remember why but isn't a land crossing into Thailand only visa exempt for 15 days ? Or has that been extended to 30 since Covid ?

2 hours ago, sulu said:

I can't for the life of me remember why but isn't a land crossing into Thailand only visa exempt for 15 days ? Or has that been extended to 30 since Covid ?

30 days but only 2 land crossings per year IIRC.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, trying to get my e-visa for my upcoming trip.

Anybody remember about the e-visa (if they had the same issue)?

So for the 60-day tourist visa, they ask for the arrival date and departure date. In the last week of the 60-day visa stay I intend to get a 30-day extension for a total of 90 days..

1) So, the departure date. Do I enter the date 60 days from entry ? Or do I enter the actual date I'll be leaving (flight departure back to the U.S.) ?

2) When I booked the flights, I screwed up my departure date, probably because February is 29 days in 2024. Apparently, I only counted 28.

SO, my flight leaving BKK is on day 91, not 90. I don't mind paying for the 1-day overstay (though I understand for only a single day they just let you proceed to your flight).

But for the e-visa, IF I enter the 60-day date (end of visa), no problem.

But IF I'm supposed to enter the actual date the flight leaves as my departure date (day 91) will that cause a problem ? Will the 91-day stay cause the e-visa to be rejected ?

Anybody (else) have this particular issue ?

Ideas ?

11 hours ago, sulu said:

1) So, the departure date. Do I enter the date 60 days from entry ? Or do I enter the actual date I'll be leaving (flight departure back to the U.S.) ?

You will need to enter a date within the 60-day visa. You might also need proof that you have a flight ticket out of Thailand within the 60-day visa. 

You may also be asked at the airport to provide a ticket as proof that you intend to leave Thailand within the 60-day visa you get issued. You may be denied boarding if you show them you return in 91 days.

11 hours ago, sulu said:

SO, my flight leaving BKK is on day 91, not 90. I don't mind paying for the 1-day overstay (though I understand for only a single day they just let you proceed to your flight).

A one-day overstay is usually okay, and you get an overstay stamp in your passport but no fine. But you should stay low during the overstay to make sure no police asks to see your passport. Even if you are stopped by the police at a road checkpoint on your way to the airport it will be trouble.

Edited by komplot

53 minutes ago, komplot said:

You will need to enter a date within the 60-day visa. You might also need proof that you have a flight ticket out of Thailand within the 60-day visa.

I see you're from Scandinavia, and are fairly new here (welcome btw). I'm in the U.S. and while I expect this particular issue would apply equally to everybody, do you KNOW that for a fact ?

I mean a) it wouldn't be true and b) it doesn't say "Departure date with visa period (or some such)".

The Thai page, for U.S. citizens, describing visas specifically acknowledges that one may extend one's stay (according to the rules) - so logically, wouldn't the departure date have to be the day you leave Thailand (as opposed to within the visa period) ? I mean the airline itinerary that I have to give them as SHOWS the returning flight to be further out than the 60-day visa.

Without getting into a(nother) long discussion about it, I've been to Thailand 7 times since 2012 and the (U.S.) departing airline never once asked about anything. Now I've always had a pre-paid round-trip ticket so the airline would only be on the hook for finding me a return seat if Thai Imm turned me away and sent me right back home. So I'm thinking they really don't care about that - doesn't really cost them anything. But I could be wrong.

I don't mind having to explain these things, but the visa is usually(?) answered yes, no, or incomplete(?), no ? I've only done e-visa once previously, and that WAS for only a 60-day trip. And if it's "no", I believe they don't refund the fee. I'd rather not have to pay twice. LOL

2 hours ago, sulu said:

I see you're from Scandinavia, and are fairly new here (welcome btw). I'm in the U.S. and while I expect this particular issue would apply equally to everybody, do you KNOW that for a fact ?

I mean a) it wouldn't be true and b) it doesn't say "Departure date with visa period (or some such)".

The Thai page, for U.S. citizens, describing visas specifically acknowledges that one may extend one's stay (according to the rules) - so logically, wouldn't the departure date have to be the day you leave Thailand (as opposed to within the visa period) ? I mean the airline itinerary that I have to give them as SHOWS the returning flight to be further out than the 60-day visa.

When I applied for an 60-day E-VISA in 2022 I had to provide proof of flight tickets. The return ticket I had 89 days after my flight ticket to Thailand. It got rejected because I had no ticket showing I intended to leave Thailand within the visa period.

If this has changed from how it was, and if the rules are the same in every country I do not know. I had to pay for a new application. 

2 hours ago, sulu said:

Without getting into a(nother) long discussion about it, I've been to Thailand 7 times since 2012 and the (U.S.) departing airline never once asked about anything. Now I've always had a pre-paid round-trip ticket so the airline would only be on the hook for finding me a return seat if Thai Imm turned me away and sent me right back home. So I'm thinking they really don't care about that - doesn't really cost them anything. But I could be wrong.

I've been to Thailand in total 11 times. It's only in the last years since covid the airline always asks me when I return to my country. In June this year, they asked to see my return ticket. 

From what I've heard they will get a huge fine if the immigration officer denies you at the border because of no valid return ticket within the visa period and they have to provide you with new tickets to return on the next available flight.

When I book flight tickets I make sure the tickets are rebookable. That way I have a return ticket within 60 days, and when I land I just go in the app and change the dates.

42 minutes ago, komplot said:

When I applied for an 60-day E-VISA in 2022 I had to provide proof of flight tickets. The return ticket I had 89 days after my flight ticket to Thailand. It got rejected because I had no ticket showing I intended to leave Thailand within the visa period.

If this has changed from how it was, and if the rules are the same in every country I do not know. I had to pay for a new application. 

I've been to Thailand in total 11 times. It's only in the last years since covid the airline always asks me when I return to my country. In June this year, they asked to see my return ticket

From what I've heard they will get a huge fine if the immigration officer denies you at the border because of no valid return ticket within the visa period and they have to provide you with new tickets to return on the next available flight.

When I book flight tickets I make sure the tickets are rebookable. That way I have a return ticket within 60 days, and when I land I just go in the app and change the dates.

Well, I guess I'll find out. I submitted the e-visa online a couple of hours ago (90-day flight difference). In fact, I didn't see anywhere where the e-visa process even asked you about OTHER tickets so of course I didn't notice any place to attach another flight itinerary.

As for being sent home on the first flight and a "huge" fine, I'd never heard about a "huge" fine to the airline, or indeed any fine to the airline at all.

Now I get TiT but the TH/US page says "

Tourist Visas

"If an individual wishes to remain in Thailand for more than 30 days, he/she may wish to obtain a tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in the United States, prior to arriving in Thailand. The tourist visa must generally be used within 90 days from the date of issue and allows an initial stay of 60 days. After arrival in Thailand, a tourist visa may be extended at the discretion of an immigration officer once for an additional 30 days with the total period of stay no longer than 90 days."

So there we have an official explanation of legally staying in Thailand for 90 days without any mention of having to leave the country before coming back in.

I would think, since the page specifically suggests a tourist visa plus an extension, without even suggesting a need to leave Thailand, something along the lines of being denied entry, turned around and sent home on the next flight, and a huge fine to the airline, would be spelled out, footnoted, or some such.

It's a pretty big deal to be stuck either at the counter upon starting out or at Immigration in Thailand. And certainly, not something Thai Tourism would want to see mentioned anywhere. image.png.ea3869caf9511977d056e86b992933b9.png

I don't recall anyone on here telling us that he/she had been denied and sent back but I suppose it's possible. I have heard, back quite a while, of someone telling how he'd had to leave the immigration agent, go buy a RT ticket, and return with it to the ia, but I don't recall any other particulars. I think many more board members have declared "no issue/never looked".

Guess we'll see. I've already looked into flights out of Thailand and I'm sure some are refundable.

Edited by sulu

If anybody's interested, the e-visa I completed, as above, on Dec 12, was approved and the email received, on Dec 15. 👍

• Like 1

On 29/11/2023 at 18:55, sulu said:

Thanks.

You know, on one of my early trips I did a border run to Cambodia from Pattaya.

It changed to 30 days back about 2013   :)

I thought you only got 30 days if you flew back in, and 15 days if overland?

Reason why Im asking is that, I'm in the same boat as the original poster.  My plan is to get my 30 days on arrival, and before the 30 days are up go over to Cambodia for a week or 2, and then back to Thailand.  At this point how many more days will I get?

1 hour ago, Gonetothedogs said:

It’s 15 days by land, still 

I believe you're mistaken.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gonetothedogs said:

It’s 15 days by land, still 

most countries is 30D

• Like 1

As a result of the rules changing (initially for G7 countries) in late 2013, I travelled from Sihanoukville to Ko Chang by road on my Jan/Feb trip in 2015, rather than heading back to Phnom Penh & flying back to Thailand as I had originally planned, on my 2nd visit to Cambodia.

Got  a taxi from Sihanoukville to the border ($US 80), crossed over & then got another taxi to the ferry pier for Koh Chang (2000bt).