IGNORED

Travel insurance for 38 nights.

earnie

Is it possible to get insurance for 30 nights and a separate policy for 8 nights. When i put in 38 nights the insurance costs nearly £200 but if i enter 30 nights it's only £90, why do they charge £110 extra for another 8 nights.

17 minutes ago, earnie said:

Is it possible to get insurance for 30 nights and a separate policy for 8 nights. When i put in 38 nights the insurance costs nearly £200 but if i enter 30 nights it's only £90, why do they charge £110 extra for another 8 nights.

Not sure, but you do get 30 days worth of coverage with most any credit card(at least NA credit cards) so I could imagine that their 30day ins has to be competitive with that.  

It depends on what rules the insurance companies have in your country

In the UK for example, virtually all insurance policies require that you start your trip leaving from the UK and your policy covers your entire trip, so it wouldn't be possible to have a 2nd policy, or add on an extra 8 days during your trip whilst you are already abroad.

As per a recent thread on here, trying to arrange an extension of cover whilst already abroad is far more expensive than your standard policies, in some countries

As for length of cover, the vast majority of people go on holiday for 2 weeks or less, and that is obviously where insurance quotes are most competitive. There are far fewer companies covering longer trips of over a month

The longer the trip, or the more existing health conditions you have, the far smaller the market of people wanting such cover, and therefore prices are much higher.

If you think insurance prices are high, trying doing a dummy quote, stating you're 90 years old, with several major health conditions & see how few companies are willing to offer policies & how high their prices are.

On 13/10/2023 at 20:34, earnie said:

I used confused.com earlier in the year, and got 3 months cover for less than £200, and I am over 60.

Shop around.

Edited by Leo_Bia

Almost all travel insurance sold in my home country covers 90 days as a standard minimum, so I would assume it should be very possibly to get 38 days if you shop around. The travel insurance if you have a premium Curve Black or Metal card  looks to be 90 days as well with an AXA insurance included. I'd recommend looking at your current credit card(s) and see if any of those cover you for the whole duration, note most require that you pay for a significant portion of your trip with the card in question to give you cover.

• 1 month later...

Just buy an annual policy that covers 60 days

Mine has 183 days coverage within policy period (1 year) with an individual trip maximum of 60 days

My last renewal was £56 and I'm in my 60's