IGNORED

Visa exemption: Does time start when flight lands, or when you pass through immigration?

PGSTC776

I've got a flight landing at 23:45, and plan to enter on a 30 day exemption (U.S. citizen).  Anybody know if the clock starts when you land, or the time you pass through immigration?  By the time I get through it'll easily be after midnight, and into the next day.

1 minute ago, PGSTC776 said:

I've got a flight landing at 23:45, and plan to enter on a 30 day exemption (U.S. citizen).  Anybody know if the clock starts when you land, or the time you pass through immigration?  By the time I get through it'll easily be after midnight, and into the next day.

The clock starts when the immigration officer stamps your passport.

Let me add more info. If you get stamped at 2345, Thailand will count that 15 minutes as an entire day that you have been in country. So even though you were only in country for 15 minutes before the dates changed at midnight, you've stayed one day already.

That's how I overstayed one time. I thought they would actually count the hours. Nope.

Thanks for the information. It will save me some headache when it comes to doing the calculation and avoid overstaying. 

Also, doesn't the stamp show the exact date? I would think they wouldn't have changed the dates on the stamp yet even as the clock ticks past midnight.

Anyway, better be safe than sorry . So I always keep it at 29 days just in case . the last day and/or night is reserved for being on the move

I made the same mistake.  I did NOT count the day I land as day number 1 and my flight arrives at 2335.

If you are worried about it I suggest you slow walk to immigration. and arrive a few minutes after midnight.

Not for nothing - OK, for something, I seem to recall reading somewhere around here that since the pandemic, immigration wasn't getting all twisted about a day or 2.

Of course, I'm not sure if this is "official" or not, or when that particular unofficial(?) grace period might end. :Dunno:

Edited by sulu

"When somebody shows you who they are, believe them" - Maya Angelou

August I departed BKK having booked when there was 45 day exemption... But they changed the rules.   30 days + 25 hours.  Fined 2 days = 1000 bhat.  Still cheaper than going to immigration in Jomtien to extend.

I was worried that it might impede future visits but the laughing immigration officer assured me not to worry as he processed the 1000bhat.

10 minutes ago, Mstn2014 said:

August I departed BKK having booked when there was 45 day exemption... But they changed the rules.   30 days + 25 hours.  Fined 2 days = 1000 bhat.  Still cheaper than going to immigration in Jomtien to extend.

I was worried that it might impede future visits but the laughing immigration officer assured me not to worry as he processed the 1000bhat.

Avoid having overstay if you possibly can. It is something that might just affect further visa applications 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mstn2014 said:

I believe the bigger problem is being caught up in a document check, for whatever reason, while out and about in Thailand, and being caught out on the overstay.  

• Like 1

I once landed very early hours and at the booth they had not changed the date stamp. Well it not that early .. 5 a.m.

I did not notice.

At departure passport booth, a month later I was told I was one day overstay.

It confused me .. thought my maths must have been out .. till I realised what must have happened.

Luckily I still had the ticket stub and/or printed flight bookings.

The guy was very stern like it was crime of century to overstay 1 day and he went off to check with I guess his boss.

It seemed to piss him off he was not fining me.

It probably was a one off forgetting to change stamp but no harm in checking. I always did after that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wingeing Pom said:

probably was a one off forgetting to change stamp but no harm in checking

I would take it slightly further and say always check your stamp before leaving the immigration area. Mistakes do happen and it's easiest to have it fixed there. 

• Like 1

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

4 hours ago, sulu said:

Not for nothing - OK, for something, I seem to recall reading somewhere around here that since the pandemic, immigration wasn't getting all twisted about a day or 2.

My overstay was June 2022 and it amounted to 8 hours. This is what happens when you overstay:

As you get to immigration, the person will look at your passport, notice the overstay, hold on to your passport and tell you to wait for an official.

The officer will resume checking the people behind you, but you will now be in limbo and waiting for that official to come.

Eventually they arrive, take you and your passport to their desk. If your overstay is under 24 hours, they will smile and give your passport back and explain that anything under 24 hours is ok and your back on your way to your home bound flight.

Anything over 24 hours and you get fined and documented as an overstay.

I would also plan any ED medication you buy so you have exactly the right number of pills for your stay.

If you end up that last day with no erection it might ruin your entire trip

I just sit back and relax - I've earned it.

1 hour ago, Nanaman said:

Eventually they arrive, take you and your passport to their desk. If your overstay is under 24 hours, they will smile and give your passport back and explain that anything under 24 hours is ok and your back on your way to your home bound flight.

Not so, they stamp your passport that you were overstay, without a fine.

4 hours ago, Wingeing Pom said:

The guy was very stern like it was crime of century to overstay 1 day and he went off to check with I guess his boss.

It seemed to piss him off he was not fining me.

There is no fine for 1 day overstay.

58 minutes ago, Leo_Bia said:

Not so, they stamp your passport that you were overstay, without a fine.

No overstay stamp for me, I was worried and had the official explain the rules to me.

He said under 24 hours is ok, have nice day. Perhaps something was entered on the computer but nothing in my passport besides the normal departure.

42 minutes ago, Nanaman said:

No overstay stamp for me, I was worried and had the official explain the rules to me.

He said under 24 hours is ok, have nice day. Perhaps something was entered on the computer but nothing in my passport besides the normal departure.

Strange, maybe things have changed?

Had loads of the years, and got another one in April past.

On 10/10/2023 at 03:30, PGSTC776 said:

As for the point below you are given one day lea way for this scenario.

1 day over stay no charge or  500 baht per day the first day counts if 2 or more days 

i once  stayed 3 day over thought charge would be 1000  baht for one day free but no fine was 1500.

On 10/10/2023 at 05:55, Nanaman said:

Let me add more info. If you get stamped at 2345, Thailand will count that 15 minutes as an entire day that you have been in country. So even though you were only in country for 15 minutes before the dates changed at midnight, you've stayed one day already.

That's how I overstayed one time. I thought they would actually count the hours. Nope.

Ask a silly question and i'll leave a silly answer  

Would have been easier if you googled it yourself.    

Thanks spelling and grammar checkers for being a ?%6433%#E

Quote if you expect a reply.  

THE THING ABOUT COMMON SENSE IS THAT IT'S THAT NOT COMMON                                                                        

IT'S NOT ROCKET SURGERY       quote from Anna Nicole Smith.