Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Medications - availability / legality to bring

dillon97a

Hi, I have been to Pattaya a couple of times now but I intend to visit for 2 months in early 2024. However, I have 7 different prescription medicines to take daily. Last time I was in Thailand I did see people buying some medication OTC which in the UK is prescription only.

My question is how can I find out if my particular medicines are available OTC in Pattaya or if I need to bring them and if the latter - are there any restrictions - either on which medications can be brought in and/or quantity restrictions of the same.

I did Google a pharmacy near the hotel where I will be stopping (Guardian on Pattayasaisong) but it only gives a street address - no phone, email or similar. So, does anyone know if I could contact a pharmacist over there somehow? I'm sure there are loads of places and most of them bigger than this one that I know.

If anyone has some pharmacy names that I can look up to check with them, and any other pertinent info, that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

1 minute ago, dillon97a said:

Hi, I have been to Pattaya a couple of times now but I intend to visit for 2 months in early 2024. However, I have 7 different prescription medicines to take daily. Last time I was in Thailand I did see people buying some medication OTC which in the UK is prescription only.

My question is how can I find out if my particular medicines are available OTC in Pattaya or if I need to bring them and if the latter - are there any restrictions - either on which medications can be brought in and/or quantity restrictions of the same.

I did Google a pharmacy near the hotel where I will be stopping (Guardian on Pattayasaisong) but it only gives a street address - no phone, email or similar. So, does anyone know if I could contact a pharmacist over there somehow? I'm sure there are loads of places and most of them bigger than this one that I know.

If anyone has some pharmacy names that I can look up to check with them, and any other pertinent info, that would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Guardian pharmacy sells almost everything. What is it you need to bring in? Most things are fine with a prescription and doctors note 

I brought my prescription Meds with me in June last year without issue and will be doing the same again in 4 weeks time.  If you want to dm me the list of your meds I would be happy to check availability and cost with a couple of pharmacies.

• Like 2

I bring 6 months worth of prescriptions in with me which is more than I’m supposed to. But I can’t remember the last time I was searched, if ever, in over 30 years. 
That said most things are available over the counter. And if you bring a copy of your prescriptions with you, or even the empty packet with the pharmacists sticker on it, I think you’ll get anything. 
The only thing I had trouble getting was an extra weeks worth of Prednisone when I wanted to use it for a week beyond the time the Thai hospital had prescribed for me. The reasons for that are fair enough when I looked at the dangers of using it longer term. 

On my last trip I took the packets of my 5 meds to a pharmacy to check availability after my upcoming ex-pat status. All were available over the counter but some were double my current dose, so I will be taking a pill cutter with me. It may be that some meds require a Thai prescription though mine do not.

@David2268's offer is a great gesture, I would take him up on it. My GP will only issue 3 months meds in advance, I have never had a problem brining meds but all the packets are labelled with my name.

Edited by geezerrb
addition

Any place to buy Ambien? I have prescription, but it will run out before my trip ends

I take some meds on and off so I don’t have the old packet/bottle, are most non-chain pharmacies fine with giving medications without needing the prescription? Could arrange a last minute appointment with my doctor but the fees keep going up 😕

If needed, you can just see a doctor while you are here. and get any needed prescription for things that are not OTC.

I personally recommend https://dr-olivier-clinic.com/

Don't forget to take your passport. No appointment needed ... opens at 9:30am .... rarely much of a wait.

ผีเสื้อ

On 04/10/2023 at 15:29, David2268 said:

I brought my prescription Meds with me in June last year without issue and will be doing the same again in 4 weeks time.  If you want to dm me the list of your meds I would be happy to check availability and cost with a couple of pharmacies.

Hi there. I have sent message. Many thanks.

On 04/10/2023 at 09:21, Gonetothedogs said:

Guardian pharmacy sells almost everything. What is it you need to bring in? Most things are fine with a prescription and doctors note 

Some are probably fairly common but a couple are non UK ones (I live in Spain). List below

Item Dosage Type Notes
Barnix 20mg Capsules  
Adiro 300mg Tablet  
Bisoprolol Normon  2.5mg Tablet  
Edistride 10mg Tablet  
Losartan Normon 100mg Tablet  
Pantaprazol Stada 40mg Tablet  
Lipocomb 20/10mg Capsules Contain 20mg Rosuvastatin and 10mg ezitimibe

1 hour ago, dillon97a said:

Some are probably fairly common but a couple are non UK ones (I live in Spain). List below

Item Dosage Type Notes
Barnix 20mg Capsules  
Adiro 300mg Tablet  
Bisoprolol Normon  2.5mg Tablet  
Edistride 10mg Tablet  
Losartan Normon 100mg Tablet  
Pantaprazol Stada 40mg Tablet  
Lipocomb 20/10mg Capsules Contain 20mg Rosuvastatin and 10mg ezitimibe

Mate unless you think they are cheaper here, I would bring them with you....

Only recognise a couple of yours, some of mine are over 4,000BT for a month, luckily I can them a lot cheaper at home and usually bring 6 months wiorth with me. Never had any issues. 

Keep original script packet and doctors letter to be sure though. 

Regards, Atlas.

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png