IGNORED

Train sleeper cabin

MunterHunter

The sleeper cabin on Thai trains? How small are they and are they clean enough? 
I’m 6’3” tall. I can’t imagine they are that comfy for tall people. 

3 hours ago, MunterHunter said:

I had a sleeper cabin in the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok about 6 years ago.  It was clean enough, included washroom was tiny but adequate.  I am 5'8'' so no issues at all for me, can't remember how much extra room there was.

The biggest issue was that the tracks aren't straight, and every few minutes the train would sway from side to side.  Coupled with the clickety-clack noise means I didn't sleep a wink.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wadman said:

I had a sleeper cabin in the overnight train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok about 6 years ago.  It was clean enough, included washroom was tiny but adequate.  I am 5'8'' so no issues at all for me, can't remember how much extra room there was.

The biggest issue was that the tracks aren't straight, and every few minutes the train would sway from side to side.  Coupled with the clickety-clack noise means I didn't sleep a wink.  

Thanks for the reply. I’m an under no illusion that it will not be ideal. First up how comfortable it will be with me being bigger size then the noise factor 

I would like to start to explore Issan. I see they do a night train to Khon Kaen. Sounds great! Train at 9.30pm and arrive at 5.30am

I could ‘knock myself out’ but will my feet still be out the window! 

Edited by MunterHunter

4 hours ago, MunterHunter said:

Thanks for the reply. I’m an under no illusion that it will not be ideal. First up how comfortable it will be with me being bigger size then the noise factor 

I would like to start to explore Issan. I see they do a night train to Khon Kaen. Sounds great! Train at 9.30pm and arrive at 5.30am

I could ‘knock myself out’ but will my feet still be out the window! 

I'm 5"11 and the sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back was comfortable enough. Don't expect luxury or anything close to it but a much better option than the 2nd or 3rd class options. It was clean. If you are by yourself, you might end up having to share with a stranger too unless you buy two tickets. They come and turn the seats into beds/bunk beds at night with sheets and a pillow. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

I'm 5"11 and the sleeper train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and back was comfortable enough. Don't expect luxury or anything close to it but a much better option than the 2nd or 3rd class options. It was clean. If you are by yourself, you might end up having to share with a stranger too unless you buy two tickets. They come and turn the seats into beds/bunk beds at night with sheets and a pillow. 

Top man 👍

Think it’s like 1300 baht to Khon Kaen. Booking two makes it a bit pricey 

Can’t imagine having to share with a stranger 😮

The guy who set up the website below is probably the definitive authority on train travel in Thailand. I believe he aims to travel on just about every train journey in Asia over the next couple of years, and is already well travelled on Thailand's network.

https://www.thaitrainguide.com/

38 minutes ago, shagwell said:

The guy who set up the website below is probably the definitive authority on train travel in Thailand. I believe he aims to travel on just about every train journey in Asia over the next couple of years, and is already well travelled on Thailand's network.

https://www.thaitrainguide.com/

Richard Barrow, yeah? And absolutely! No better resource. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

Domestic air travel in Thailand has developed so much in the last decade I’d never consider riding a train again.

I still have nightmares from being stuck in a 3rd class car  while the backed up toilet occasionally splashed sewage that ran down the aisle.  😟

10 hours ago, MunterHunter said:

Not 6’3””, but have slept very well on some overnight trips on Thai trains, usually 2nd class sleeper, but have also tried 1st class….. not worth the extra cost in my opinion. Carriages are clean enough. Bedding is freshly laundered and spotless.

Choose the bottom Bert of a second class sleeper. It costs a little more than the upper berth, but is more roomy (wider) more convenient, and you get the window.

Older carriages with coil spring suspension can be quite clackety, but if I am tired I am not bothered and just sleep. New carriages have air suspension and are fairly quiet and smooth. I experienced that on the Southern Line. I don’t know what other routes they are on.

After rolling my own motorcycle, trains are my preferred way to travel in Thailand, where they are available. 

Edited by Micky2
  • Like 2

Not to thread fuck but flights from Bangkok to Khon Kaen starts around thb 1500 and with nothing to see on an overnight train why spending the time ?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

Not to thread fuck but flights from Bangkok to Khon Kaen starts around thb 1500 and with nothing to see on an overnight train why spending the time ?

Well some, like me, enjoy train travel.   Not every decision is about money (most of mine are not). I’ve been on trains all over the world and really enjoy the multi-day train journeys. 

I’ve done the overnight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai a few times now.  I enjoy waking up in the morning and having some tea as the train meanders through the Jungle as it approaches Chiang Mai - plenty to see the last few hours of the trip. Kudos on the recommendation for the lower bunk - much more room.  

Edited by momo5

4 hours ago, MunterHunter said:

Top man 👍

Think it’s like 1300 baht to Khon Kaen. Booking two makes it a bit pricey 

Can’t imagine having to share with a stranger 😮

When I took my train ride some 6 years ago, they had this option where you can book the whole cabin (first class) for 500 baht extra, so no risk of smelly/snoring/farting strangers. This was subject to availability. The train I was on wasnt even half full. Dunno if they still have this option available. 

With the private cabin, it was around 1900 baht for my ticket. Flying is pretty much the same price. I did it "for the experience". I certainly wouldn't do it again, not worth it. 

There wasn't much scenery to see either. In the 40 minutes prior to darkness setting in, the view was grass, shrubs, young trees. They blocked the view to anything else. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wadman said:

When I took my train ride some 6 years ago, they had this option where you can book the whole cabin (first class) for 500 baht extra, so no risk of smelly/snoring/farting strangers. This was subject to availability. The train I was on wasnt even half full. Dunno if they still have this option available. 

With the private cabin, it was around 1900 baht for my ticket. Flying is pretty much the same price. I did it "for the experience". I certainly wouldn't do it again, not worth it. 

There wasn't much scenery to see either. In the 40 minutes prior to darkness setting in, the view was grass, shrubs, young trees. They blocked the view to anything else. 

On the First Class sleeper trains you can book the entire cabin for yourself (2 bunks) at the time of booking. It’s less than double the cost of one, but it’s more than 500 baht extra now). You can only book 30 days in advance and some days get fully booked very quickly.

It’s certainly cheaper to fly, but I’d like to try the train to Udon at some point.

Edit: one way to Udon, 1st Class is 1,513 Baht for lower berth and 1,313 Baht for upper berth, and 2,313 Baht to book the cabin for single occupancy.

• Like 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

Forgot to mention, the train broke down halfway on my last trip and there was no AC for hours, we were dying and miserable. From what I heard, it's not that uncommon. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kandinski said:

Done a couple of train trips now. Pattaya to BKK and BKK to Hua Hin. Tbh there is not much to see. I enjoyed the Pattaya to BKK train as it was not busy, the window was down, had the seats to myself and there was food & water to buy 

53 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Forgot to mention, the train broke down halfway on my last trip and there was no AC for hours, we were dying and miserable. From what I heard, it's not that uncommon. 

What a nightmare 😮

2 hours ago, Kandinski said:

I doubt most farangs who decide to travel on the train network are doing it to save money, more for the experience, and those of us that have retired have all the time in the world. 

Not all journeys are overnight, there are train rides taking in The Bridge of the River Kwai, occasional steam train journeys and many other scenic routes.

I get that its not the most efficient way to travel and not for many people who would prefer the fastest most convenient way to get from A to B - but sometimes its as much about the journey as the destination.

In the past I spent 2 weeks cycling roughly 1000km in Northern Laos, flights or even a bus would have been far quicker and easier but they wouldn't have been more enjoyable.

A number of years ago I took the overnight train in a sleeper car from BKK to Surat Thani en route to Koh Samui. Can't remember the reason, but I ended up having to share the two bunk room with another guy. He turned out to be some level of "Chief of Police" of Bangkok and was a riot. Spoke great English too. We ordered a few buckets of Heinekins and eventually passed out in our respective bunks. 

I found the sleep to be quite comfortable, although I'm 5'10" so cannot speak for those who are taller. It was an experience that I'm glad I had. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you do get a sleeper car, buy your ticket far enough ahead of time to get a lower birth. No need to climb the ladder, The upper bunks amplify the rocking of the train, and are cold as the air con vent is about 2 feet above you. We went to Chiang Mai from Ayutthaya and back on the overnight. I don't recommend it.

I use the train to . get from my home in Isaan to Bangkok most times, Express train about 5 hours. Lamplaimat to BangSu, as I don't like to inconvenience a family member to drive me to Buriram or Korat to drop me at the airport and pick me up on return.

Ray

• Like 1