IGNORED

Question about American Social security “Proof of Life” for Thai expats

Jools50

Ostensibly, Americans who draw Social Security and live overseas are supposed to receive a letter from the Social Security Administration every year asking them to confirm that they are still alive. I have lived in Thailand for eight years and have never received one of these letters. Does the fact that my Social Security check is Direct Deposited in my American bank, exempt me from this requirement?  I am concerned because several expats have said that my SS can be cut off if there is no response to the questionaire they send out. Any expats know anything about this subject?

From https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

Notice Regarding Forms SSA-7161 and SSA-7162  

The postal service disruptions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic have resolved in the majority of countries. The Social Security Administration will resume mailing the forms SSA-7161 and SSA-7162 in late June 2022. Forms will be mailed according to the schedule that was in effect prior to the pandemic (i.e. if you were expecting a form in 2020, you will receive it in 2022; 2021 in 2023). Please complete and return the forms promptly to avoid suspension of benefits.

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

I guess you could find the form online, file it out and print it and mail to:

MAIL: Social Security Administration
U.S. Embassy – Manila
1201 Roxas Boulevard,
Manila, Philippines 0930

PHONE: +632-5301-2000 (Option 3), from 8:00 – 11:00 a.m. (Manila Time) every Tuesday and Thursday, except on U.S. and Philippine Holidays

FAX: +632-8708-9714

or contact them for further assistance 

You can download the form from ssa.gov 

I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

12 hours ago, Jools50 said:

Ostensibly, Americans who draw Social Security and live overseas are supposed to receive a letter from the Social Security Administration every year asking them to confirm that they are still alive. I have lived in Thailand for eight years and have never received one of these letters. Does the fact that my Social Security check is Direct Deposited in my American bank, exempt me from this requirement?  I am concerned because several expats have said that my SS can be cut off if there is no response to the questionaire they send out. Any expats know anything about this subject?

Similarly have SS direct deposit and not sure in and of itself illuminates the "life prof letter" as I also have a US "home of record" on file with SSA and receive annual statements and tax info. Other than one year tax form didn't arrive there and took a bit to have another sent, no life letter and no problems in the 18 years here.

This is one of several good reasons not to declare Thailand or any foreign country as your primary residence to the U.S. government. For instance, Britain cuts off pension cost-of-living increases to retirees living outside the country. A country irresponsible enough to run up 33 trillion dollars in debt may choose to follow Britain's lead on COLAs. Also, the U.S. can punish you in a variety of ways if you neglect to fill out another form showing that you held more than $10,000 in a foreign country.

It is better to pick a family member or friend or online-accessible postal box in an income tax free state than admit that you live overseas. Banks and brokerage firms will bother you with annoying forms to fill out too. Just tell the IRS you still live in the U.S.  It is the safest option.

The wife and I were very happy for 20 years, then we met.

25 minutes ago, cjtrader said:

It is better to pick a family member or friend or online-accessible postal box in an income tax free state than admit that you live overseas. Banks and brokerage firms will bother you with annoying forms to fill out too. Just tell the IRS you still live in the U.S.  It is the safest option.

I fail to see how lying about your residence is the "safest option"  Never had my bank bother me, never had social security bother me except for the once a year 7162 form I send in that costs me around $10 US

May your heart always be joyful. May your song always be sung....and may you stay - Forever Young

I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours Bobby Dylan

2 hours ago, Greg_B said:

A USA bank and a USA home of record

He must live in the USA....?

No questions asked

Retired airline employee and travel a lot, haven't set foot in USA for over 18 years.

2 hours ago, cjtrader said:

This is one of several good reasons not to declare Thailand or any foreign country as your primary residence to the U.S. government. For instance, Britain cuts off pension cost-of-living increases to retirees living outside the country. A country irresponsible enough to run up 33 trillion dollars in debt may choose to follow Britain's lead on COLAs. Also, the U.S. can punish you in a variety of ways if you neglect to fill out another form showing that you held more than $10,000 in a foreign country.

I don't over think things, just plan and do things to keep life simple.

Keeping a US address is the way to go to avoid these letters. When I applied on line to get my SS I used my sons address in Las Vegas also use this for my banking with US Bank been collecting for 5 years and never an issue. 

I have to keep reminding myself its a job :GoldenSmile1:
At Babydolls we are serious about fun

babydollsaddict.gif