Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

How often are visas denied given my situation...anxiety high.

Stroth

Hello,

It might be more of a speculation question - no concrete answer, but I am about to go via passenger van to Cambodia next week to get a new visa for another 1-year stay. I have been staying here, and only here, in Thailand since June of 2016. I have been on education visas a few years, volunteer visa a couple of years...whatever agencies are telling me in a given year I need to do. This time around, I am nervous. I went back to the same office I used the previous year and the rep there was thumbing through my passport, stopping to say pretty much I have been here a long time. "Not easy", he mutters. So, naturally, I immediately panic. I sat and watched (attempting to listen) to a phone call that sounded like the immigration office in Cambodia where I would be going to get processed, and the conversation had to go on at least 10 minutes. Finally, he hangs up and explains that its "gonna cost a bit more". 3,000 baht more, which for me, is an automatic, "sure, no problem", that's not even 10 more baht a day, there's nowhere I'd rather be, no problem. But the whole thing felt like a red flag. Compounding this trip where I am worried about being denied a visa is a chronic health issue that this trip will surely take it's toll on (not sure how much) as well as anxiety about leaving the border in general, as it will be the first time since 2019 that I have left Thai soil, due to Covid allowing visa handling to be done in-country. Not sure if anyone empathizes, but it is a thing, this post-Covid anxiety. But yeah, my medical issues developed since I last had to travel considerably, pre-Covid, 2019. Maybe the trip is exactly what I need to help get over that hump. But if it goes pants, I am not in a place mentally to be able to handle thinking on my feet and planning the next move. The old me would have already made a contingency plan. So I guess that's why I have come to you fine folks. Either some advice if my concerns are valid or some consolation if my concerns are not. (I have a reputation for worrying too much, so I never know. Even if I do worry too much, that doesnt mean there is never a time to have a valid reason to worry).

Any info is helpful, the main one would be addressing the topic title. I don't have any prior "screw ups" with the passport or have had any trouble with the law or anything like that since staying here. I should have all the necessary documents. I am using an agency that seems to have a relationship with the immigration office. Should I not panic? Three more visas after this one and I can finally shift to retirement. Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers.

Edited by Stroth

Respectfully, it sounds as if you have more significant issues than the visa.

You have used the word panic several times in your post. While having concern about obtaining a visa or a renewal is understandable, what possible benefit can there be from panicking? It seems you have lived long enough in Thailand to know that there is rarely any certainty.  Particularly when it comes to issues such as obtaining a visa.  You have chosen a service which presumably can assist you in the process. I suggest you put your faith in your decision, and deal with any ultimate result. This is less about the Visa and more about a successful life strategy.

It seems you are also extremely hesitant about leaving Thailand for a period of time. This is another issue you probably need to address.  Is there any rational basis for your concern about exiting the country? Without knowing your specific situation, it's probably good to keep in mind that the vast majority of expats here exit Thailand routinely whether on trips or visits to their homeland.

Some will give you the reassurance that you are looking for although ultimately that will have no significance with the immigration official who makes the final decision.

In the bigger picture, you probably need to consider some type of assistance to deal with your anxiety issues.

I imagine the only way to truly put yourself at ease would be to secure an entirely legitimate visa for your situation and not rely on visa agents who can skirt the rules.  

Without knowing more about your personal circumstances I’d guess that would require  a Thai Elite visa, but as I’m sure you’re aware that’s a bit more expensive than your current method.  

• Like 2