Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Thai Banks pinch your money!

Zesam

Effective from April 17th 2009 onwards, all cardholders of debit or credit card registered in foreign country will be charged 150 Baht per transaction when making withdrawals via any ATM in Thailand.

Source:

https://www.thanachartbank.co.th/CDS/THANAC.../main/index.asp

It seems that Thailand is endeavoring hard to scare away their last tourists.

Yeah this does really, really suck. But the fact is, I don't think this is going to scare away any tourists. How many BMs will stop vacationing in LOS because of an extra 150b/day? Methinks not too many. I think this stinks as well, but from the bank's point of view, its a smart move - they'll make a lot of extra money.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enoughâ€

“If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?â€

Albert Einstein

Are all banks in thailand going to charge us 150 baht for using a foriegn atm card in thai atm machines?That letter from the T bank is the only source that is going give us this fee. Will kasikorn bank charge us 150 baht for using their atms?

How many BMs will stop vacationing in LOS because of an extra 150b/day?

Unfortunately, I have already booked my next trip in June and has no possibility of cancellation.

But I have promised myself that it will be my last trip to Thailand. I have traveled to Thailand since 1995 and I think I get less and less value for my money for every year.

Thai people has become spoiled and that is obviously we who made them spoiled.

150 bath is perhaps no money for us, but collects all such small money that is to end up a lot.

Cheers

It is really easy to get around this by using traveller's cheques. I have looked at what the costs of using ATMs and traveller's cheques travelling from Australia and the costs where slightly lower for traveller's cheques. That was before any talk of them charging 150 Baht every time an ATM was used. If you can get traveller's cheques for free (in your own currency) you will save yourself a fair amount.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

My moto for 2017: Don't argue with an idiot. Don't argue with.....

Effective from April 17th 2009 onwards, all cardholders of debit or credit card registered in foreign country will be charged 150 Baht per transaction when making withdrawals via any ATM in Thailand.

Source:

Have you got any friends who live in Pattaya/Thailand??

If you do have friends in LOS then you could give the bank there address. And that should save you the 150B charge per transaction

Open a local bank account. Kasikorn Big C North Pattaya very farang friendly. Takes 10 minutes with your passport only.

Some other banks really have a cheek. Bank Ayuda Soi Bukhao told me "farang not can have account - why not send money in lady name"!!!

"farang not can have account - why not send money in lady name"!!!

lol, at leat they have a sense of humour.. :GiveBeer1:

Yeah opening a local acount is the best way forward if you plan to visit regularly. Just make sure you leave a bit of money in the account otherwise they can cancal the ATM card and/of the account.

Pattaya Photos Free newbie guide to Pattaya How to get a TG a tourist visa for Australia Pattaya Weather

Source:

Does this go for all banks in thailand? Can I use kasikorn bank instead so I can avoid the 150 baht withdrawl fee . That letter only complies to thanachart bank.

th

Does this go for all banks in thailand? Can I use kasikorn bank instead so I can avoid the 150 baht withdrawl fee . That letter only complies to thanachart bank.

th

Apparently some banker's association has decided that this is what will happen. Someone posted last week that the association has many banks in Thailand as members.

If you think this is bad - what about this.

They charge you money to pay money IN!! I have accounts with SCB, BB and KB and all of them charge me 20 or 30 baht to pay money IN to my own accounts.

Imagine the furore if UK banks started doing this. Yes, I know UK banks take it in other ways but this is quite ridiculous IMO.

Advertise on Pattaya Addicts. Send me a PM for more info'

Please consider a donation to the forum!

If you think this is bad - what about this.

They charge you money to pay money IN!! I have accounts with SCB, BB and KB and all of them charge me 20 or 30 baht to pay money IN to my own accounts.

Imagine the furore if UK banks started doing this. Yes, I know UK banks take it in other ways but this is quite ridiculous IMO.

Eh!!?? I am with SCB and regularly transfer money from Australia. There has never been any charges. I now have 2 accounts and can transfer between the accounts using net banking with no charges. Are they local accounts or did you open them in Bangkok?

BTW from what I have been told UK banks are nothing compared to Aussie banks, <insert expletive> rip off kings, IMO.

Aussies need to line up all the boardroom bludgers in all the banks and ventilate their foreheads! They treat customers like shit!

"If it feels good, just keep doing it!"

For all the aussies here in Pattaya..

The best bank from australia to use in thailand for ATM transactions is the NAB bank.

They charge nothing for overseas ATM transactions. I used it last year and they charge me nothing in atm fees. I was also withdrawling 1000 baht at a time and they still charge me nothing.

Westpac and CBA are one of the worst to use in thailand. they charge massive atm fees.

The name of the card to use from the NAB bank is the gold visa debit card (NAB Gold Banking). It only has a $10 monthly service fee.

Come on BSJ don't sit on the fence tell us how you really feel :)

• 4 weeks later...

why is the irish currency called apunt

because it rhymes with bank manager

in LOS same same

agree aussie banks started by thieveing mongrel barsteds sent over as prisoners from britain

Edited by pipeman350

I can feel an angel sliding up to me nz immigrants raising the IQ of both countries pattaya makes a humble man hard

the 150bath fee is not positive to Thailands reputation as a tourist friendly country. It will cost me total 350bath to withdraw 20.000bath

Edited by pattaya08

• 3 weeks later...

I am bloody outrage after reading this thread! If this is true, then the excellent advice @pattayaice gave about NAB (I never knew that!) not charging overseas withdrawal fees is pretty much cancelled out.

I think this link gives a list of banks that will be affected, as they are all in the association (I think)

http://www.tba.or.th/2.htm

So are there any popular banks in Pattaya and Bangkok that aren't in that list and have ATM's everywhere? Not really wanting to leave it to my next trip to find out!

I will edit my post if my assumptions are wrong.

It is really easy to get around this by using traveller's cheques. I have looked at what the costs of using ATMs and traveller's cheques travelling from Australia and the costs where slightly lower for traveller's cheques. That was before any talk of them charging 150 Baht every time an ATM was used. If you can get traveller's cheques for free (in your own currency) you will save yourself a fair amount.

They charge 33 baht per traveller's check cashed regardless of size, so make sure they are in large denominations.

While most banks are charging the ATM fee of 150 baht others are not. Krung Thai bank only had a 30 baht fee 3 days ago and UOB had no fee at all