IGNORED

Extending travel insurance while in destination

kevin2013

I am already in Pattaya, want to extend my trip by a couple of weeks.

I am from the UK, this is travel (not full health) insurance

Existing travel insurance company says that goes beyond their maximum single trip duration, so they cannot extend.

Does anyone have any experience of doing this, companies that will offer a policy if already in destination?

Suggest you contact an insurance broker in Thailand. Google says:

You can purchase international insurance for Thailand (also known as expat medical insurance) from insurance brokers such as Insubuy or International Citizens Insurance, which allow you to browse different plans and companies to choose one that suits your needs.

You may find these brokers can help you. They may be able to find the sort of cover you want.

And/or contact:

Search Results

How long are you staying/intending to stay?  I’ve always been able to easily extend. Just get another policy with someone else if your current company are being dickholes about it. You’ll know not to use them again. 

Edited by Arnie85

2 minutes ago, Arnie85 said:

How long are you staying/intending to stay?  I’ve always been able to easily extend. Just get another policy with someone else if your current company are being dickholes about it. You’ll know not to use them again. 

Extra 3 weeks takes me over their 90 day maximum single trip duration.

Most travel insurance starts before you travel and starts from your home country.

If you could easily start insurance after start of travel, people would go on holiday, have an accident, and THEN take out insurance.

Travel insurance normally starts in your home country. I am not in my home country.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bonkabit said:

Suggest you contact an insurance broker in Thailand. Google says:

You can purchase international insurance for Thailand (also known as expat medical insurance) from insurance brokers such as Insubuy or International Citizens Insurance, which allow you to browse different plans and companies to choose one that suits your needs.

You may find these brokers can help you. They may be able to find the sort of cover you want.

And/or contact:

Search Results

Expat medical insurance in Thailand, I assume, won't cover repatriation back to UK. That is what I said travel insurance

2 hours ago, kevin2013 said:

Expat medical insurance in Thailand, I assume, won't cover repatriation back to UK. That is what I said travel insurance

Why not contact an insurance broker? You can tell him/her what you are seeking.

I had a similar issue several years ago when travelling to the US on business, As my trip had already commenced no UK travel insurance company I contacted wanted to know. The US being a place you don't want to be without any sort of coverage, my only option in the end was to fly home, purchase a new policy and return a few days later. 

Will be interesting to read if you find a solution

Edited by gmingot

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, KyleReading said:

I saw the thread before and was about to give the answer but got distracted and forgot literally all about it

Premiums are higher obviously reflecting risk

https://www.truetraveller.com/travel-insurance-after-leaving

I also found a company called World Nomads. Their quote for 3 extra weeks was more than what I paid for the last 3 months!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kevin2013 said:

I also found a company called World Nomads. Their quote for 3 extra weeks was more than what I paid for the last 3 months!

Yes that was another one I was aware of

Its a "specialiist" type of cover I was told previously when I enquired in general and the premiums are certainly loaded

7 hours ago, kevin2013 said:

Yep that is what you have to pay to get cover.

I was in the same position last year ended up paying about £130 for 25 days cover