IGNORED

Best/Cheapest non scammy Jet Ski rentals?

nicetoseeyouagainPatty

The fact that people still want to rent jet skis in Pattaya after decades of strong warnings and stories about scammers never ceases to amaze me. You might be fine, but several years of observing this unfold on the beach here gives you pretty poor odds. If you are willing to take that chance, it's up to you.

Chatter about "clean ups" and stricter rules are normally just temporary reputation-saving measures and eventually fizz out after a bit before it's all back to the usual shenanigans.

Violence - probably not - it has happened though. Having a police officer happen to come by and "assist", with you ending up having to pay up anyway - more likely. If you just start walking away they will just summon this guy. This invincible attitude will not go well for you if you think you are better or smarter than the locals

Edited by tossiam

1 hour ago, tossiam said:

The fact that people still want to rent jet skis in Pattaya after decades of strong warnings and stories about scammers never ceases to amaze me

Can you point to any recent stories? In my Pattaya years I have yet to see one. But plenty of jet ski action whenever I'm around the beaches. To be honest it feels a bit like one of those things from old times that have sort of festered. 

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

7 hours ago, Thomaz73 said:

Can you point to any recent stories? In my Pattaya years I have yet to see one. But plenty of jet ski action whenever I'm around the beaches. To be honest it feels a bit like one of those things from old times that have sort of festered. 

I found this from 2020 at least, if thats recent enough - https://www.pattayamail.com/news/tourists-are-back-so-are-pattayas-jet-ski-scammers-307433

If you want to Jet ski then hop on the ferry to Koh Larn, it makes for a nice day trip and the jet skis there are quite busy even in low season. I spent the day on the beach relaxing and didn't see anyone get hassled.

I've seen plenty come to grief in Pattaya. The reason there are so few in the water is that the scammers are so eager to get your cash they often call the rider back into shore after 5 minutes to claim the jet ski is damaged. They don't even allow the 30 minutes that was paid for.

If you're thinking of hiring in Pattaya just pick the operator of your choice and then relax on the beach and see how the interactions with customer go preferably farang or Indian as they may be less likely to scan thais or other asians. 

On 15/10/2023 at 21:38, tossiam said:

The fact that people still want to rent jet skis in Pattaya after decades of strong warnings and stories about scammers never ceases to amaze me.

I'm still seeing a lot of gold chains around necks down BR late at night too.

Boggles the mind.

On 15/10/2023 at 04:58, Thomaz73 said:

I tend to agree. However, there is real financial exposure if there is a problem (in a situation where you don't have much of an option except to pay). You would think that there would be an entrepreneurial type that would offer jet skis with insurance options that would cover any damage and build a solid reputation on their customer service. I still have not been able to get a good referral to a reputable company so maybe the problem truly hasn't been solved. 🤔