Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Sichuan/ma la restaurants in Pattaya?

Since my Chinese ex introduced me to the famous numbing-spicy Sichuan cuisine, I developed a bit of an addiction to it. Has any fellow ma la addict come across an authentic Sichuan/ma la restaurant in central Pattaya by any chance? 

I know there’s a Haidilao hot pot restaurant somewhere near Beach Road, but I prefer regular ma la dishes rather than hot pot (which is only fun if shared with other people anyway). 

It’s probably a long shot, especially with Chinese tourists pouring back into the country only since the end of the pandemic. But ma la seems to be very popular with Thai people as well, so who knows. 

(If you guys haven’t tried Sichuan food but like it spicy and have a chance to have a plate of authentic ma la grub wherever you live, give it a shot - it may change you life!)

• Haha 1

Not a long shot at all. 

Yes I agree Sichuan food especially the numbing peppers is addictive.

Be warned that BBQ stick places catering to Thai palates that say they are mala are nothing like actual Mala. Basically hot and sweet. Disgusting really. Avoid those.

I know what those places use as I once bought some Thailand made "mala" BBQ sauce. Again, really disgusting, not Chinese, but yes that's what most Thais think mala is. 

On the Grab and Lineman apps search for Chinese and look at the menus and you will find a number of Sichuan restaurants.

A type of Sichuan dish that isn't mala that I also love are the cumin crusted items. Yes, you can find that here. Fu Man Lou on 2nd road (on Grab app) has a very good lamb version. 

You may need to translate the menus with google translate.

At the T21 mall there are two of them that are both on the Lineman app.

There are others that aren't on apps but you need to talk to Chinese people (they have a separate app).

So far none of the Sichuan food here is super great, but a lot of it is at least serviceable. 

Edited by Kreggerz

10 hours ago, Kreggerz said:

Be warned that BBQ stick places catering to Thai palates that say they are mala are nothing like actual Mala. Basically hot and sweet. Disgusting really. Avoid those.

Reminds me of most "ma la" and Thai food you can get in Taiwan. Inedible for the most part, because also super sweet and not even spicy. It's actually easier to find authentic Sichuan cuisine in London's Chinatown than in Taiwan.

Have you ever checked out Haidilao in Patts? I might be wrong thinking they only do hot pot, will try to find their menu.

Anyways, thanks for the tips! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/08/2023 at 20:30, leechtat said:

(If you guys haven’t tried Sichuan food but like it spicy and have a chance to have a plate of authentic ma la grub wherever you live, give it a shot - it may change you life!)

Yeah agreed but since its mostly a falang forum , its more F&C and Pizzas than Mala! 🤣

Try the chinese area between T21 and Soi6 , there's a mini Chinatown developing there.

There's a nice looking La Mian place at the beach end of Tipp Plaza soi ; on my bucket list.

H D Lao Pattaya is at Central Festival , taken over that stupid robot hotpot place. I wont eat there coz its not cheap nor fun alone and they have it where I live but falangs should bring their thai GFs there not just for the food and performance (noddle tossing) but also for the free manicure pedicures snacks they are famous for. Its like Women Pampering meets MK. Maybe a good idea for a birthday/special treat.

Edited by mmaaarrrkkk

Ding Ding ...... Please remember to like and subscribe.