Support our Sponsors >> Thai Friendly | Pattaya News | Pattaya Unplugged | Buy a drink for Soi 6 Girls | Thailand 24/7 Forum | TPN Property | La La Land bar | NEW PA website | Subscribe to The Pattaya News |Pattaya Investigations | Rage Fight Academy | Buy/Sell Businesses | Isaan Lawyers | Siam Business Brokers | Belts Of Mongering - Mongering Authority | Add your Text or Event here

IGNORED

Osteoarthritis and You

Curator

So, I'm approaching retirement and making the jump December 31st.  Over the last month I've bought a plane ticket, and reserved a room at a LK Metropole for two weeks.  Over the last thirty days I've also been experiencing pain in my left shoulder.  Got an xray and an MRI and was dignosed with osteoarthritis.  My new Ortho doc said the joint is pretty badly worn showing some bone on bone contact.  I start physical therapy on Monday.  I just got back home after a weeks stay in Florida visiting my big brother and the top of my right leg has been aching the entire week.  Started with discomfort and slowly advanced to outright pain when I walk.  Sitting still off my feet and I'm fine.  It's only when I'm walking... especially feel it when climbing stairs.  I think this will be another joint in my body that I'll find is arthritic.   

The one thing I've heard from several different members on these forums is that Thailand is great for older men as long as you still have good mobility.  Once you loose the ability to get yourself around it's better to go home or not come to Thailand at all.  Do any of ya'll have issues with arthritis and can answer some questions?

1. Are you getting some treatment for Osteoarthritis while in Thailand?  If so, how expensive?
  2. Is the decreased range of motion in the afflicted extremity result in your inability to carry things like you normally would?
    •  I can raise my left arm forward and backward pretty well, but not so much moving laterally to the side.
  3. Do you get cortisone shots to ease the pain in the joint? If so, how expensive?
  4. Would you cancel your retirement "expat" plans and instead focus on getting healthy before attempting to retire to a foriegn country? 

One of my primary motivations is to come to Thailand and get myself out of this rut I've been in for decades.  I want to loose 100 lbs, and get myself off these damn medications for diabetes, blood pressure and cholestrol I've been on for the past seven years.  Now with five months left before retirment life has thrown me a curve ball with arthritis.  This shit is depressing.

I don't want to show up at BKK and be some cripple who isn't self sufficent and can't fend for themselves.  Ya'll probably know of some dudes over there who are in pretty bad physical shape and getting worse.  Their mobility is shot and can't live in a building with no elevator.  I don't want to be one of those guys.

48 minutes ago, Curator said:

One of my primary motivations is to come to Thailand and get myself out of this rut I've been in for decades.  I want to loose 100 lbs, and get myself off these damn medications for diabetes, blood pressure and cholestrol I've been on for the past seven years.  Now with five months left before retirment life has thrown me a curve ball with arthritis.  This shit is depressing.

Eat and drink less, move more. Good luck, you can do it if you are motivated.

Losing some weight is probably good. I'm not a fan of medical types much any more. Seems most are in it for the money, with very little, to no compassion. Just my opionion. If a surgeon isn't operating, they're not making money.  I'm 62 and got the same issues as you as far as being too sweet, cholesterol, bp. Have had torn cartilage removed from both knees. One's arthritic. VA diagnosed hip pain I have as severe degenerative arthritis, back in 2001. Osteo referral, his PA straight away tried to sell bone resurfacing or hip replacement first visit. Same with the actual surgeon in follow up. I do think now it may be time to do the hip thing. I'm just not looking forward to the recovery stuff. Good luck to ya and hope your osteo isn't just trying to sell you something you don't need. 

I have good rotation in the shoulder if I let the therapist move it around.  I've got more pain in my hip, but I think it is bursitis.  Hurts when I walk but an ice pack and Advil seems to dampen the edges of pain I feel there.  I'm feeling like I should cancel my Janurary plans until I get a grip on this stuff.  And that is depressing as hell.   

OK, as a guy with two artificial knees and currently scheduling a new hip for September I will pass on what I have learned.

Shoulders are the worst.  I would do everything possible to avoid surgery.  Unless it impedes something you really want to do like play golf or tennis deal with the pain as long as you can. 

Sounds like you also have a bad hip emerging.  Same thing here.  If you can walk up and down stairs and sleep through the night I'd wait.  The advice above to stay active and moving is good advice.  If it is so bad you have trouble walking get a hip replacement.  They really work.  Way better than knee replacements or shoulder surgery. 

But I think I'd want to know how bad everything is before moving to Thailand.  I'm not dissing the surgeons in Thailand but I think you can get a higher quality here in the USA. 

Just a note.  My doctor once told me you know you need surgery when you can not do something you expect to do in your life.  OR if it wakes you in the middle of the night with pain.  For me golf is a major part of my life and the knees prevented me from walking down hills.  I had to have them.  The hip pain occurs in golf and other activities.  Such as enjoying the primary reason we visit Thailand. 

Good luck.

• Like 2

I am 60 in November.  I have degenerative problem in my lower back S 1,2 & L4&5. I see a chiropractor once a month to keep me walking, had this issue when I was 25. I also have bursitis in my left hip for last 5 months and sleeping on that side feels like burning pain, anti inflammatory tabs help as does ice packs, terrible thing to have is bursitis. As you age it will only get worse my chiropractor said regarding my lower back. Be careful with the cortisone as it will leave you with scar tissue at the injection site. Heard cortisone can make it worse depending on how many injections you get. Good luck. 

• Like 2