IGNORED

Edge Central building on Airbnb

idrgaf

Just a quick review of the Edge Central building. I stayed in a tiny one bedroom in the top/30th floor but there are quiet a few listings in the building.

The listing made it seem more like an apartment, however I’d describe it as a small but very nice hotel room with a kitchenette. Although stupidly laid out. There is a chest high glass fence for an open balcony with a large bath tub in front of it, which is next to a wine cabinet…? Who buys this shit?

The view was great at night in the bath tub (?), looking out over the Pattaya sign towards Walking Street and views of the water. Not sure it would be that good lower down…

The pool on the 31st floor is epic with an infinity section looking out over the view mentioned above. There was a nice gym with a great view, a stream and sauna room plus a boxing area (which seemed more of a show bit).

There was zero smoking allowed except in the designated smoking area. That area was a 1m x 2m fenced section attached to the gate house (right next to a large lawned area that no one ever used). On the up side I made friends with the guards, buying them soft drinks and smokes in my daily trip to the 7-eleven…

Bringing home friends was no problem at all, even did two at once at one point. Although I also have no shame… At one point I definitely walked past a sales person for the building trying to flog off apartments. Seemed like a lot of Chinese buyers…?

I made the mistake of telling the first two visitors to meet me past the gate which meant they needed to sign in and get a visitor card. Probably a safer way to do it but much more convenient to just walk in with a lady or two on your arm smiling at my security guard friends.

The location seemed very convenient but I wouldn’t stay there again…

IMG_0808.jpeg

Edited by idrgaf
  • Like 4

Thank you for your review, how much did you pay per night ?

Were there any signs advising short-term rentals are illegal at all ?, like there are at the Base next door

I have seen some of the apartments on Booking.com, priced at a higher level than the Base

1 hour ago, jaynewcastle said:

Thank you for your review, how much did you pay per night ?

Were there any signs advising short-term rentals are illegal at all ?, like there are at the Base next door

I have seen some of the apartments on Booking.com, priced at a higher level than the Base

I paid 3300 through Airbnb and also 3000 directly to the owner for an extra night.

Short term rentals are illegal? I didn’t notice anything and I talked to a few others in the building who were also Airbnb. Lots of people arriving and leaving with luggage. It really felt like a hotel with no real staff…

• Like 2

I’d also add that the walls are paper thin.

One evening I woke at about midnight (after sleeping to try and shake a headache) to some very enthusiastic fucking next door.

Of course, I did the adult thing and politely knocked… just kidding, I messaged one of the ladies to come back for a visit and instructed her to be at loud as possible… 😉

You don't seem to get many hotels (where people are meant to sleep), with good sound-proofing. 

Every trip, I try new places to try & find a quiet room, but this depends both on external factors & whether you have somebody decent in the rooms around you or not

Short-term lets under 30 days have been illegal for several years now, a law that seems to be largely ignored in Pattaya

I stayed at the Base for 2 nights about 2017 or so, signs all over the entrance advising it was illegal to rent short-term, but the security guards didn't do a thing, and the place was like a railway station, with hundreds of people arriving & departing every day in full view of the security  ??

48 minutes ago, idrgaf said:

I paid 3300 through Airbnb and also 3000 directly to the owner for an extra night.

Was there anything special with room that justify the 1-1,500 thb more than most of the other AirBnB rental in the Edge is listed at? Was the owner Chinese?

Edited by Kandinski
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kandinski said:

Was there anything special with room that justify the 1-1,500 thb more than most of the other AirBnB rental in the Edge is listed at? Was the owner Chinese?

I didn’t see any other rooms, but at a guess I’d say top floor with a view. I also booked way too far in advance, so maybe I got a bad deal.

The owner was Thai, I think, I only interacted over the phone…