IGNORED

Dual Nationality Travel - Urgent Advice sought

Terminal

Good morning all.  Asking for a friend who's realised at the on-line check-in stage (for a 6 week holiday in UK) that he might have a problem.  Maybe BMs have "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" and can offer some advice.

Situation:  My mate:  UK citizen (expat for 40 years), UK passport, re-entry permit to get back into Thailand  -  all OK.

Thai Wife: Thai Citizen, Thai passport, has the correct tourist visa to visit UK  - all OK

Son (12 years old)  Dual nationality; Thai and UK passports.

Travelling tomorrow  BKK - DUB - GLA  Emirates.

He had assumed [never assume anything] or simply believed his Thai wife's logic [never believe what your Thai wife tells you, especially if there's a communication and cultural barrier] that son would leave Thailand on his Thai passport and enter UK on his UK passport and vice versa on return.

But, on-line check in requires passport details and doesn't give a two-passport option.  So that's the dilemma.  If he leaves Thailand on his Thai passport will the Airline and/or immigration say where's your UK visa  -  no visa, no travel?  Or if he leaves Thailand on his UK passport will they say no re-entry permit, no travel?  Or is travelling on separate "departure" and "entry" passports acceptable?

Have any BMs experienced this dilemma?  Any advice welcome.

I'll update the thread with the outcome of their attempt to travel

8 minutes ago, Terminal said:

Good morning all.  Asking for a friend who's realised at the on-line check-in stage (for a 6 week holiday in UK) that he might have a problem.  Maybe BMs have "been there, done that, got the T-shirt" and can offer some advice.

Situation:  My mate:  UK citizen (expat for 40 years), UK passport, re-entry permit to get back into Thailand  -  all OK.

Thai Wife: Thai Citizen, Thai passport, has the correct tourist visa to visit UK  - all OK

He had assumed [never assume anything] or simply believed his Thai wife's logic [never believe what your Thai wife tells you, especially if there's a communication and cultural barrier] that son would leave Thailand on his Thai passport and enter UK on his UK passport and vice versa on return.

But, on-line check in requires passport details and doesn't give a two-passport option.  So that's the dilemma.  If he leaves Thailand on his Thai passport will the Airline and/or immigration say where's your UK visa  -  no visa, no travel?  Or if he leaves Thailand on his UK passport will they say no re-entry permit, no travel?  Or is travelling on separate "departure" and "entry" passports acceptable?

It’s totally fine to leave one country using one passport and enter another country on another one. 

I have two passports and if asked for a Visa which is not in the Passport leaving Thailand on I just show them the other passport.

No problem, ever 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Terminal said:

No problem. Nephew and niece have dual nationality (U.K./Australia) and use one to enter the U.K. and one to enter Australia. Just show both at check-in. I’d probably enter the U.K. details for check-in on the way out so they know he doesn’t need a visa, then use the Thai one on the way back. 

• Like 1

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

7 hours ago, davidge said:

No problem. Nephew and niece have dual nationality (U.K./Australia) and use one to enter the U.K. and one to enter Australia. Just show both at check-in. I’d probably enter the U.K. details for check-in on the way out so they know he doesn’t need a visa, then use the Thai one on the way back. 

I think one needs to use the same passport for both leaving and reentry to keep the stamps aligned. On the other end, same passport for entry and departure, again, to keep stamps matched.

7 hours ago, Terminal said:

There are multiple threads on this subject with hundreds of posts.

Your wife is actually correct in this matter.  Use Thai passport for online checkin, and the airline checkin will need to see his UK passport which covers him in lieu of a UK visa in his Thai passport.

Go through Thai immigration with Thai passport only.....No dilemma.

10 hours ago, BuckDefiant said:

I think one needs to use the same passport for both leaving and reentry to keep the stamps aligned. On the other end, same passport for entry and departure, again, to keep stamps matched.

Are Thai passports stamped on exit and reentry now? (I don’t know but thought they had egates?).

Theres no stamps for U.K. passports at Heathrow. There isn’t even a passport check by immigration when you exit. You show it at check-in, unless you use automatic check-in, and there’s a check at the gate to make sure it’s the right person boarding. When you enter the U.K. you just use the e-gates.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

So remember to “Enjoy every sandwich”

19 minutes ago, davidge said:

Are Thai passports stamped on exit and reentry now? (I don’t know but thought they had egates?).

Yes, and they make a big show of finding the matching stamp,  or a new place to put the new one.  It probably takes as much time as they spend looking one up in the computer. I think all SEA countries are still doing stamps.