IGNORED

Muay Thai gym

Dean

Hi all,

just thought id post this up here just incase any of you fancied trying out a gym.

I did some research before i went to LOS on different Gyms around the area, and decided to use Scorpion Muay Thai on Thrappaya rd (the rd from the end of walking st going towards jomtien)

A Dutch girl (Rosalie) runs the gym with her thai husband, but it has a great mix of western and thai people inside. I arrived there on my 1st day and introduced myself, and spoke about what i wanted to gain from training there. The gym was pretty quiet all the time i was there so had plenty of 1-1 practice with my Kru Jarowit. The price for each single session was 250 bht..but works out cheaper if you pay by the week or month etc.

This is a pure Muay Thai gym and doesnt cater for MMA etc although i must say the facilities are excellent for the price (unless u wanna pay 1,00bht for an hour session at fairtex)

Any questions..fire away

Dean

training.jpg

training1.jpg

Scars are a reminder that the past was Real!

How were they about correcting technique etc? A lot of farangs don't take instruction well so the gyms that cater to them often don't do much more then pad holding. You found the instruction good? Did you see any women training there when you went?

katandmilo

Personally i found the instruction good.. because you get quite alot of 1-1 time for the money(unlike i do here in uk)

The Kru i was training with was good/insistant on me doing things his way..although id been taught different at home. After correcting me a few times i found his tecnique had alot more power that what i had from my tecnique.

Rosalie who runs/owns the gym was training there when i went...if you search youtube shes had loads of fights that are on there and is quite acomplished fighter.

Dean

I am thinking about visiting this gym for 1 week (weekly: THB 2.100 - 2 trains a day - not bad imho) and maybe move on to Sidyodtong (wanna fight Kat :D hmm no better not, guess she would kick my ass ^^), except I am totally happy with scorpion Muay Thai

my questions:

when have you been there? what months? do you think it's quiet in july - september? because I would be glad if I got some 1on1 time...

would you recommend it for a bloody beginner?

how are the english skills of the trainer? mine aren't that good either :D yet I should be able to understand what he wants me to do :P

all equipment offered?

general question:

I still have quite a lot of time until I am in LOS again... I am thinking about starting kickboxing here (no Muay Thai available :() - would you recommend that or do you think there would be a negativ transfer through the different techniques?

oh here is their homepage btw:

http://scorpion.atk-web.net/ (thx oshy :D )

I am thinking about visiting this gym for 1 week (weekly: THB 2.100 - 2 trains a day - not bad imho) and maybe move on to Sidyodtong (wanna fight Kat :D hmm no better not, guess she would kick my ass ^^), except I am totally happy with scorpion muay thai

my questions:

when have you been there? what months? do you think it's quiet in july - september? because I would be glad if I got some 1on1 time...

would you recommend it for a bloody beginner?

how are the english skills of the trainer? mine aren't that good either :D yet I should be able to understand what he wants me to do :P

all equipment offered?

general question:

I still have quite a lot of time until I am in LOS again... I am thinking about starting kickboxing here (no muay thai available :() - would you recommend that or do you think there would be a negativ transfer through the different techniques?

oh here is their homepage btw:

http://scorpion.atk-web.net/ (thx oshy :D )

Takaianna

Ive just come back from there, and although i did train in the afternoon it was unbearable.. After doing the warmup/stretching and a couple of rounds in the ring i was DONE! July - sept are much better IMO with most of the time showers to cool the afternoon, and you will always get 1-1 time with the Kru.

The trainers there have very good english...but if they cant explain something they will just show you.

Personally i wouldnt go with the kickboxing.. as katandmilo says western boxing would be good and just plenty of general fitness to help you cope with the temp/humidity change

thx 4 the answers both of you!

hmmm last year I worked out in an open air fitness gym... I could live with the heat, but my shirt couldn't :Hit_Self: I had to look so fucked up - the thais gave me their drinks (4 free)

though I guess Muay Thai is different than strength training... a whole lot more exhausting

thx 4 the hint with western boxing, I guess that should be offered even here - will try to do that!

I do a lot of fitness stuff already and should be in a quite good shape in july... a lot of running, cycling and so on.. yet I am a bit worried if I can cope with 2 trainings a day after what you guys said :mad:

especially after:

They may offer 2x a day, but it will take you a while to work up to that. I've watched it, you could not pay me to do that shit LOL.

I have to think about that... I mean I could try it one week - guess thats the only way to find out if it's too much for me or not... so if you see a small european guy next to scorpion Muay Thai gym crying all day long during july it will be me :ShitHappens1:

Good little report Dean..

When u see the level of one to one instruction your getting for 250 baht is a bargain really..

I agree DO NOT start kickboxing in order to get ready for muay thai-you will pick up bad habits..Kickboxers dont worry about getting their legs kicked in and knees so their stance is different..Also all Muay Thai low kicks are blocked with your own shins, whereas kickboxers often use their arms-which is a big no no.. western boxing as a transition would be better..

Milo-if they wont teach kat southpaw and it is stopping her from competing then swap Gyms, simple. Sityodthong has a big name but dont forget you are in Thailand and she will learn whatever camp she goes to-sometimes you have to question authority and if her trainers dont accept that its not the same for someone who is left handed to fight orthodox then the instructors arent really catering to Kat's kneeds-a good instructor would never do this.

Every action has an equal and opposite reaction - "it was just the internet.." is not an excuse.

Milo,

The kru who was teaching me (wit) was a southpaw..mite be an idea to send cat down there to see how she gets on??

• 2 weeks later...

Have been to Fairtex, Sidyotong and Sitpholek. Fairtex is by far the most luxurious gym. Sidyotong is a gym owned by Thai and is nice. Sitpholek is owned by a fellow Dutchman and is a good place to train Muay Thai.

• 2 weeks later...

What were the weekly and monthly costs?

do you guys think the scorpion gym will be as slow in september when i arrive???? i'm looking forward to the one on one training

Edited by mikey1313

• 1 month later...

OK, I know that maybe it's not the right place to ask and I also know it might be a very stupid question, but here I go.

I am 27. I haven't had any sporting activity for the past 10 years. I used to do Shotokan karate for 2 years and then professional alpine skiing for about 6 years, until I got 17, twice junior national champion, after that no sports whatsoever, had to start studying for college and then college, work, more partying, etc. I am 178cm tall, 90kg.

What I'd like to ask is this. Could I start training in Muay Thai at this point? Would I stand a chance? I'm not aiming for competition level. Just wanna keep myself in shape, learning some more basic self defense techniques while having some fun with it. The reason I'm thinking about Muay Thai is that just plain gym exercising will never keep me in the gym (I get bored just lifting weights, running, etc, every sports I've practiced had a goal or something), secondly, I live in Thailand and I'm thinking that just missing out on Muay Thai would be a waste and thirdly, I love martial arts and I feel that I would find it pretty entertaining also.

Pitu Sans, Ramazan Ramazanov, Alain Sylvestre, Zidov, are good friends of mine and offered me to train with them, but then again, they're friends and of course they would encourage me, but I don't wanna go wasting precious time of their training, they're all international champion material

I just need an honest answer from you guys.

Thanks

thx 4 the answers both of you!

hmmm last year I worked out in an open air fitness gym... I could live with the heat, but my shirt couldn't :) I had to look so fucked up - the thais gave me their drinks (4 free)

though I guess muay thai is different than strength training... a whole lot more exhausting

thx 4 the hint with western boxing, I guess that should be offered even here - will try to do that!

I do a lot of fitness stuff already and should be in a quite good shape in july... a lot of running, cycling and so on.. yet I am a bit worried if I can cope with 2 trainings a day after what you guys said :D

especially after:

I have to think about that... I mean I could try it one week - guess thats the only way to find out if it's too much for me or not... so if you see a small european guy next to scorpion muay thai gym crying all day long during july it will be me :Hello1:

lol :Cry3:

Brings back memories of when I was training in Phuket.

I used to walk 5 mins to the hotel to shower rather than at the gym.

And I looked so fcked up I think the thais thought I needed an ambulence.

I've never sweated so much in my life. I think 50% of the water in my body was outside of it.

Edited by hazze

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

just thought id post this up here just incase any of you fancied trying out a gym.

I did some research before i went to LOS on different gyms around the area, and decided to use Scorpion Muay Thai on Thrappaya rd (the rd from the end of walking st going towards jomtien)

A Dutch girl (Rosalie) runs the gym with her thai husband, but it has a great mix of western and thai people inside. I arrived there on my 1st day and introduced myself, and spoke about what i wanted to gain from training there. The gym was pretty quiet all the time i was there so had plenty of 1-1 practice with my Kru Jarowit. The price for each single session was 250 bht..but works out cheaper if you pay by the week or month etc.

This is a pure Muay Thai gym and doesnt cater for MMA etc although i must say the facilities are excellent for the price (unless u wanna pay 1,00bht for an hour session at fairtex)

Any questions..fire away

Dean

Hi Dean

that gym looks good mate, ive been in touch with them they also have rooms available close to the gym. trouble is ive never been to pattaya so i was wondering if the location is a good place to stay or is it too far out from the centre, as i want a bit of fun as well as training. what you think fella???

cheers

paul

Anybody know how much private 1 on 1 tuition is at scorpions???

can anyone tell me if Yod is still training at Fairtex gym ????

gotta get some photos done with the famous thais!!!

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

i done tonys on 3rd rd for a while,,paid my mnthly bill but my fru asked me to tip him if he trained me good,,,i didnt like this comment at all and felt like he wasnt giving me 100% everyday,,packed it in after 2 weeks as he wore me out even before i got on the pad work,,he had me stretching and bouncing on a lorry tyre for an hr beforehand...i think it was a ploy as when somone paid a mths membership then if he didnt go back they would pocket the money and have nobody to train hence 3000 baht for free,,at least i thought so anyway,,on the other hand--- i am a lazy bastard........ :)

YOU SEE WE ALL JUST CAME FROM THE MACHINE FACTORY AND....SOMETIMES THE FACTORY MAKES BAD MACHINES THAT DONT WORK SO THEY PUT THEM HERE..THE BAD MACHINES DONT KNOW THAT THEY,RE BAD MACHINES..BUT THE PEOPLE AT THE FACTORY KNOW........THEY KNOW THAT YOU ARE ONE OF THE MACHINES THAT DOESNT WORK.

Anybody know how much private 1 on 1 tuition is at scorpions???

can anyone tell me if Yod is still training at Fairtex gym ????

gotta get some photos done with the famous thais!!!

yip yod is still there, you can see him train at about 9am!

Dean can u give me a bit of a breakdown of how it works at scorpions for a session ??

Im not totally clear so your getting some 1 on 1 time with the kru every session? for 250baht?

Can i also ask is sparing available there as part of classes??

I train here in england 4-6 times a week and am a fighter so would this gym be for me as i do look to push myself hard in training sessions.

I do intend on visiting fairtex simply to meet yod and others there but have heard its a bit of a holiday which im not looking for!

Thanks

Ju5t

"There's plenty more prostitutes in Pattaya" ©2012™

"Only Newbies go home when planned" ©2012

"I don't run a gogo, i run a dance academy" Â©2014

"Sauna and milkshakes a winning combination" Â©2015

Facebook Group ::: Pattaya Bar Crawls and Parties

Muay Thai Pattaya - Good Thread & Interesting reading! :)

Re Scorpion in Dean's OP he wrote "Dutch girl (Rosalie) runs the gym with her Thai husband"

I spend most of 2006 in tiny village called Nong Ki in Burriram, (approx 80 KM NW of Korat),

there is a famous Muay Thai Camp in Nong Ki Burriram. That is the camp Roaslie Thai Husband

is from since he started MT, as is a few other famous Muay Thai Champs more so going back

a few years, a chap called Nampon who had 2 bouts of historical importance with a chap

from Holland call Ramon Dekker :D (Don't mentioned the war, I am not supposed to

take sides on that one!) & Namkabaun(The Ring Genius) who (I think correct me pls if I am wrong)

was 7 years World Muay Thai champion undefeatedfor 7 years (a record in MT?).

And a few other champions "Big Champions" as Thai people say, & a few Western Boxing (Greece Olympic Games 2000 or so

a Thai Western Boxer did well, was from same camp)

As per TOTAL of champions the camp in Nong Ki produced is 10 "Big Champs" which is No 2 in Thailand as per

total of champs over the years (apparently that is counted over here) & Sityodtong is No 1 as per Total with 24 champs (maybe 25)

That camp is called (sp?) Nong Kee Payuath Boxing Camp in Nong Ki Burriram & Master Pramote Hamooke who owns

Nong Kee Payuath Boxing Camp is very highly respected in Thailand. I often had Senior high rank Royal Thai Police Officers

stop me on street when I be up in Bangkok & I was wearing Nong Kee Payuath T Shirt to ask me did I train here &

did I know Master Pramote, & were v impressed with all of this. Which was very nice & Welcoming.

Nong Kee Payuath were famous for "Clinch" & when I was there for most of 2006 we did up to 2 hours a day clinch,

it never seen or knew MT clinch esp in Nong Kee Payuath was like a combat system of its own. Those 55kg teens

could chuck me head over heels in clinch, & I spent 3 months picking myself off the floor ever 10 seconds to

stifled good spirited laughter of the younger teen up & coming Pros.

It was all learn by doing really, aside from Master Pramote no one spoke more than 2 words of English so it was

learn by doing. Now I am on/off since 1984 doing full contact kick boxing ( Mu Gen Do Kick Boxing) up until dec 05

when I left ireland for Thailand, so punches & strikes, & maybe 2 months to change from total kickboxing kicks to

MT way, & that I more or less figured out myself, during bag work, work bag beside one of the young fighters &

copy the way he kicked & combos. Since I am not a grappler , the Muay Thai Clinch LOL as I said 3 months on floor

every 10 - 20 seconds I got chucked head over heels, up I got, & back at it. The lads enjoyed in good spirit way

taking the pee pee throwing me about like a rag doll, after 2 1/2 months which it took, to get accepted in anyway,

they showed me a little 10 seconds of a trick here & there & then back to get chucked again. One day I countered

getting dumped on my butt with what they showed me & "snookered" by large of a Thai lad clinch partner,

& they all stopped & said together in v limited English "Gerry Good OK Good Gerry", & we all had a great laugh,

4 months of sitting on ring mat on butt, then it "clicks" in. that was a happy day I was happy & so were the

lads happy too so see me improving. young up coming teens for Pro Muay Thai at Nong Kee Payuath Boxing Camp in Nong Ki Burriram.

Isan people I very very nice warm people up in their home environments.

Anyway, since I am Irish, I am allowed to tell a story or a Yarn! LOL.

So yeah that is the camp the Husband of "Dutch girl (Rosalie) runs the gym with her Thai husband"

is from. I do not know him personally but Scorpion Gym used to be back of Tucom off Pattaya Tai & I had a few

sessions random drop in training sessions there, & he is a very nice chap to talk to.

Re KICK BOXING.. That was my main original style, I am in late 30s now & only into MT since 2005 but 2006 - 2007 I trained full time. (then out of that regime near 2 year now, technique is there but energy 0/10 muscle memory will see that come back).

See Kick Boxing in its original form (e.g. Benny The Jet Uriquidez, Jean Yves Theriault 15 years Pro world champ undefeated - I spend a year in his gym in ottawa canada in 1993- 94) and the Mu Gen Do Kick Boxing I did.

Original "Proper Kick Boxing" (1980s style) was Full Contact in ring. Mu Gen DO which I did, the Boxing Punching came

from a former Yugoslavia man called Pedar Medjic who learned to box from Russian Olympic Boxing Coach back in 70s of Red Block

Commie East Europe (Red Block country & USSR boxers used to do well in Olympics back then), Pedar Medijic introduced

(I cannot really explain it) & slight very slight different way of boxing , moving off alot to the side, (body momentum energy sort of pulled the next punch in, or kick. e.g. right cross in punching range, (left stance) your left leg With NO STEP would come

straight up off the ground roundhouse into head, from in close punching range, & the body energy of the right cross on way BACK with spring of hip torque or pendulum sort of energy, BANG NO STEP in close punching range, left lead stance leg closest to opponent, that was the leg came straight up to round kick head before right cross was back in guard.

That is about the only vague arsed up example i can give you.

To this day, even though I do not stretch & I am well off course with fitness etc, but I can still get those kicks up

even from standing dead still no tell tale step.

See what happened kick boxing, was what was called "American Points Karate/Fighting" or similar name "Sports Karate"

in early 90s, in Ireland & UK the "Points Fighting Sport Karate (start/stop)" with the fancy back fist into a reverse spinning hook kick & their sexy Points Karate Style Uniforms, They "HIJACKED" the phrase "Kick Boxing" & alot of their international competitions & full contact all started organizing under big international usually originally Full Contact Kick Boxing Assoc Orgs Feds,

so all this poxy "karate kid" stuff is now, to my total disgust & anger, they call it "Kick Boxing".

To take the other side of the advice some of the lads said about Not to do kick boxing , do Western Boxing (yeah! if is karate kid BS steal the name kick boxing, stay away from it). However, when I was kick boxing it was only 8 kicks per round rule,

so you only had to do usually 8 kicks in a 2 min or sometimes 3 min round. Full contact Amateur Kick Boxing in 90s

was usually 5 x 2 min rounds. I was back then above average with kicks (that would KO... not flick flick tap tap kicks) &

we sparred 90% of time in regular training, but for ring 3 months out changed , was "Feet to Stop, Hands to Drop (KO)

most KOs were boxing.

In fact my experience looking back we were more like Boxers who Kicked!!!! 70% hands.

For example, my trainer Prof. George Canning who introduced full contact to Ireland, trained many world champions, Euro champs, British, Irish champs. (I was Irish champ 1 year.. who was not Irish champ more like LOL re all the splits in Kick Boxing orgs).

now George NEVER allowed Hand Dropping to Block Kicks & usually in sparring Banned us from Parrying with slight deflection of incoming punch with inside of hand parry much of the time. (used to piss me off) looking back, I realised limiting us in a slight parry deflection was forcing us to keep guard up & MOVE!! in or out or 45 degrees outside lead leg of opponent, so almost working body hooks in as if behind opponent. (If You want to see some great simultaneous PARRY IMMEDIATE COUNTER PUNCHING, go on to youtube.com & find Boxer Joe Lewis Vs Max Smelleng (& Max Bauer was other Germany Lewis fought pre WWII). Everytime the Germany Jabbed, (or more Straight Lead in those days) or right crossed, amazing to see Joe Lewis Parry & counter BANG, looks like Wing Chun Kung Fu or Jeet Kune Do.. v like the Red Block boxing style incorporated into Mugendo kick boxing we learned.

I d say, as I transitioned from 21 years Kick Boxing to MT, if you find a PROPER KICK BOXING club Full Contacted orientated,

as there will be no hand blocking kicks (thats the sissy sport points hijack name kick boxing that does that) & training will

be give or take 70% or more Boxing with basic kicks. (a few European Full Contact champs from Ireland I trained with on or off, could just about get off a v hard no higher than upper arm round house kick,& front push kick, & that was about it re kicking, which they used as line you up for a artillery volley of brain shaking rights & hooks to head).

Now I d say, a proper kick boxing club like I came from & describe here, your better there, instead of boxing, as even though you will still have to harden your shins, you will be used to kicks coming in & evading them, as off those kicks will come thunderous punches. (Plus another reason, not sure about all of Europe, & sexy health club boxing does not count. In Ireland most Boxing Clubs would not take in people say over 20 newbie, as 98% of the trainers are working the 14, 15, 16 year old up coming amateur boxers who are fighting, on track for route to olympics & lucky few a shot a pro. so mosts not too happy if your getting in way of the new blood coming up. thats most amateur boxing clubs in ireland are like that, but the kick boxing proper kick boxing no problem come inn & join.

And, ya know, proper kick boxing, you may learn to go to "dead" side of opponent, angle 45 degree past & sort of a little behind

his lead leg & jab... nice to know that ;-) might be useful slotted in to other striking arts, as would a verticel fist straight lead as Jack Dempey the 1917, 1920s etc boxer & other use... gets in btwn guards. and in friendly take it easy spar a few times up country, a missed as sparring buddy slipped leg back to avoid low kick & swing wide farang low MT kick suddenly became

(more than once) all in one move, instead of me missed kick spining me around, it was converted v fast back & up & down on to sparring buddys gloves (head was well lined up, but not to be done in good spirited friendly, so I changed target to his gloves),

a Right Hook Kick... that missed low round MT kick became.. (no touching foot to ground or stepping, all 1 fluid movement)

& sparring bud... v confused looking. ;-) proper kickboxing & I m meaning tiny "adjustments /fine tuning/little tricks"

you might learn, that can be used on odd occasion here & there, to throw your opponents thinking for a sec or two.

So find "proper kick boxing" which is boxing leaning anyway,& also angles in kick boxing opens out your hips,helps any style of kicking improve.

Savate French Kick Boxing got a few "little nasties" too worth looking at, Savate toe kicks or if bare foot, I taught

myself a "Bastardized" version of Savate toe kick to weaker joints on leg... use ball of foot is bare foot.

Kick OUT like a Thai Fighter, hit close to knee or lived with ball of foot but snap kick back like a French Man....

gives your gut kick a VOMIT Feeling power to it. I worked 1 year on that on bags in Sityodthong.. got got CRACK sound

when I kicked out Thai & took leg back Savate style.. it after a lot of work, got more power doing kick that way.. worked for me.

Lots of stuff there when MT is not in your town, to train up on...

As the Worlds Best street Self Defense Guru , whose Self Defense teachings I swear by turned into film writer,

& decent good bloke Geoff Thompson says (re my kicking way is better than yours type arugments)

Geoff said "It does not matter what colour the Cat is, as long as it kills the mice!" www.geoffthompson.com

By the way.. another Muay Thai camp in Pattaya & if your in Europe, USA, Brazil or Planet Mars

about 530pm Thai time go to Kombat Muay Thai MMA Gym Pattaya & you can via the web site watch

the Muay Thai training session on the security cams, its streamed for you to look at, just download a

veiwing software from their site. Kombat got good Muay Thai training www.kombatgroup.com

Cheers

Gerry

Krav Maga Thailand Pattaya Bangkok Self Defense Thailand

• 1 month later...

just wondering if anyone of you guys suffered major dehydration while training in camps in thailand for being how hot it is and how much i see fighters sweat when training there. I am planning on training myself for this matter before going to thailand but I do live in Washington State where I really don't have a problem here but kind of worried about training in a very hot climate. what are some tips to get my body in good enough condition to endure such heat? much appreciated for any insight

Just keep your water up mate, I was actually sick after one session.

Felt totally burned after that session. You'll be fine coming from the states, they usually have fans and water units in the training facilities.

Just keep your water up mate, I was actually sick after one session.

Felt totally burned after that session. You'll be fine coming from the states, they usually have fans and water units in the training facilities.

sweet deal i guess i'll just have to make sure that the gym i go to have lots of fans ha. thanks for the insight sir

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

just wondering if anyone of you guys suffered major dehydration while training in camps in thailand for being how hot it is and how much i see fighters sweat when training there. I am planning on training myself for this matter before going to thailand but I do live in Washington State where I really don't have a problem here but kind of worried about training in a very hot climate. what are some tips to get my body in good enough condition to endure such heat? much appreciated for any insight

When I was training intense levels, what worked best of me, was CONSISTENT WATERING UP ALL DAY LONG....

Those slightly less than 1.5 liter cheap thai brand water bottles, I was drinking approx 12 of those daily

& 2 (min) of the bigger normal sized water bottles extra, some I would add in that Isotonic Sports Powder

which is v cheap in any local Thailand pharmacy. Plus took plenty of Pharmoton multi vits etc.

I drank sipped all day long from minute I work at 6am until 1am or later lights out water, basically,

all waking hours I trained myself to be constantly more or less no stop sipping water.

That way, I was not hit with the urge, when training in heat, to glup down 3/4 of 2 litre bottle between pad rounds!

When I moved here & was living in hot dry Isan, coming from wet damp rain 24 x 7 Ireland, it took me 4 months to get

"slightly adjusted" to the heat. (No Fans in Isan MT camps lol!).

I did find my 16 or more litre a day water sipping really helped me, as I was "watered up" all the time.

Plus your internal system is cleared pissing clear all the time & skin & eye balls look great with the hydration!

You will piss like a racehorse for about 6 weeks or so if you start non stop water sipping, then your body adjusts

to normal pissing levels of the most healthy kind!

I tried Tony and Fairtex last year but I was not really please with them. On December I will like to try out at Scorpion and Kombat mma. Thanks for info.