IGNORED

Visa question - going 3 times a year

smurf7

Hi guys sorry if this has been answered

I have already visited Feb this year and will be going again soon in July. I am also considering going again in late November. This brings to a total of 3 entries in 2023. Will there be any issues with Visa on arrival the 3rd time?

Each of these visits will be no more than 2-3 weeks. I also have an Australian passport.

TIA.

image.png.51b7ccac4eaef68637d8fe8f18145d8d.png

2 minutes ago, smurf7 said:

Hi guys sorry if this has been answered

I have already visited Feb this year and will be going again soon in July. I am also considering going again in late November. This brings to a total of 3 entries in 2023. Will there be any issues with Visa on arrival the 3rd time?

Each of these visits will be no more than 2-3 weeks. I also have an Australian passport.

TIA.

Do you mean visa exempt entry?

• Like 1

I’ve been 3 times a year many times(British passport)visa exempt no problem.

This year I returned mid January went back April have flights booked for August then October Then December/January.

Have many friends from oz who do the same amount of trips as me and never any issues.

• Like 1

Your trips are well spaced out so they don't look like visa runs. You have return flights and never overstay so there's no issue here.

Not a problem.

Might get questioned in a few years time, if you are doing it every year, but only because it looks like you have a lot of stamps in your passport.

Edited by Leo_Bia

I normally go from Australia 4 times a year for over 10 years, once 6 times a year on visa waiver, never a problem.

Bawdy by name, Bawdy by nature.

NO problem at all. My friends does this all the time, multiple holidays a year. occasionally he gets a smile or look from the immigration officer in suvarnabhumi when he sees all the stamps but that's it!

A good girl gives you happiness and a bad girl gives you experience both are essential in life so enjoy every girlfriend!

• 2 months later...

Any updates on this topic. 

Previously have travelled multiple times a year from the UK on a British passport without issue. 

This year have travelled for a week in both June and July. Since then have seen on the Thai consulate website that a visa is needed for more than 2 visits in a year. Got a trip planned in November 

22 minutes ago, silverjet82 said:

Since then have seen on the Thai consulate website that a visa is needed for more than 2 visits in a year.

Get a visa then.

What is the cost of peace of mind?

• Like 2

On 24/09/2023 at 15:25, silverjet82 said:

seen on the Thai consulate website that a visa is needed for more than 2 visits in a year

What website exactly? There is no such rule as long as you arrive by air. 

• Like 2

image.png.6eb5df3c4b99a4189996c2a21d8f14af.png

2 hours ago, silverjet82 said:

https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/page/exemp-visa

In the first paragraph.

Although later on it references 2 times for land/sea arrivals.

Perhaps I wasn’t interpreting correctly 

Or perhaps they suck at presenting information. Quite common with consulates and embassies :)

The rule is, you can only get two visa exemptions at land borders in a calendar year. 

By air, there's no such rule. In this case everything is entirely within the discretion of the immigration officer you get. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mikejon said:

My fourth visa exempt entry last weekend. IO just asked me how many days I am in Thailand

Within what period of time? It's meaningless without that information. 

On 26/09/2023 at 14:47, Thomaz73 said:

Or perhaps they suck at presenting information. Quite common with consulates and embassies :)

The rule is, you can only get two visa exemptions at land borders in a calendar year. 

By air, there's no such rule. In this case everything is entirely within the discretion of the immigration officer you get. 

So, does that mean the land border runs are limited to a maximum of twice within a 12 month period? They were used frequently by expats years ago. 

2 minutes ago, cheetzie said:

does that mean the land border runs are limited to a maximum of twice within a 12 month period?

No. It's within a calendar year, for whatever nonsensical reason. At any rate, back to back exempts/tourist visas have been problematic for many years. 

1 hour ago, Mikejon said:

Sorry. This year.

Ok, thanks! Yeah, too many exempts (up to the officer) is definitely problematic. Sounds like the METV could've been a good solution for you. Although, only obtainable in the home country. 

1 hour ago, cheetzie said:

So, does that mean the land border runs are limited to a maximum of twice within a 12 month period? They were used frequently by expats years ago. 

Been the case for quite some time, but whether it gets enforced or not, is down to the IO on the day.

4 hours ago, Leo_Bia said:

Been the case for quite some time, but whether it gets enforced or not, is down to the IO on the day.

Not worth the risk then.